How much do shops usually charge to install pickups? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

How much do shops usually charge to install pickups?

Anyone know prices shops will usually charge to install pickups for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 02:59 PM

Re: How much do shops usually charge to install pickups?

Rates varies between shops and also whether or not your a regular customer. I've seen rates anywhere from $20-$100(even higher in some cases). If you can do it yourself you can save some cash there.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 03:02 PM

£10 each pick-up over here. Or like buddroyce, DIY
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 03:03 PM

Hi -
I recently had Sam Ash install one pickup and install a push/pull pot. They also changed my strings as well.
This cost me $60 which included the push/pull pot and the strings.
Got in done in one hour which was the real selling point for me.

jeff
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 03:16 PM

The speed issue really makes a difference actually. Some places around town here actually will take 2 weeks to install pickups. Usually these are places where there's only one guy that does the work and s/he is usually not there(ie. they take your guitar to another place to get it done at).
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 03:30 PM

Reviews: 1

$100 ??? wow! man it's a price of a vintige PU! man DIY, just make sure u'r using HQ stuff good luck
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 04:03 PM

It definitely varies from place to place. I got EMGs installed in one of my RGs (which involved changing out the switch and all the other electronics in the guitar) and the guy only charged me $30 along with the electronics that he pulled out the other guitar. I was out of state when I had that done but I think it was a pretty good deal. I got charged $35 to replace the pickups in my S470DX when I had Dimarzios installed. The real difference was that it took the first guy like a week to finish with my guitar AND I had to keep taking it back because there were wiring issues that we had to track down and it only took the other guy one full day to get them installed and that's only because he was the only person working at the shop so he had to stop everytime a customer came in.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 01:18 AM

Take the small amount of time to learn how to do it yourself...soldering is a valuable skill to have.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00
Take the small amount of time to learn how to do it yourself...soldering is a valuable skill to have.
+1

It's about $30 a PU at a small shop here in Phoenix.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00
+1. I'm not electronics whiz but if you can read a map, you can read a pickup wiring schematic. The only time I ever paid to have a pickup installed was when I was having other work done to the guitar.

If I don't like the PAF Pro in the bridge position of my PGM301, I will be swapping it out with a Tone Zone and I will do that installation myself.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 11:28 AM

It definitely depends on whether you're a regular customer or not because the guy that runs the local guitar shop that I frequent said that his base rate is $30 a pickup but he only charged me $35 to install two humbuckers in my newest guitar.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
It definitely depends on whether you're a regular customer or not because the guy that runs the local guitar shop that I frequent said that his base rate is $30 a pickup but he only charged me $35 to install two humbuckers in my newest guitar.
That package deal makes sense because if you're changing 1 pickup already, changing 2 isn't that much more work at all.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 07:05 AM

30 euros when local music shop installed my JB.jr neck pickup.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 10:20 AM

I put EMG's in my brother's RG560 and had to change out the pots and wire in his 1 passive pup. All totaled I think I spent about 3 hours working on it. I only charged him $20 but if I was doing it for anyone else I would have to get at least $60.

That's for all three pickups...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 01:03 PM

I have a permanent hand tremor that makes soldering nearly impossible, thankfully never had to take anything to a shop as I ask my friend to do it and pay him in beer. Last time he did an exceptional job of putting a new output jack in considering he'd already drank the whole 8 cans before he started the soldering!

Tags
bridge position , guitar shop , local guitar shop , local music shop , neck pickup , paf pro , pickup wiring , sam ash , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode