How much should I expect to pay for a full EMG set up - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

How much should I expect to pay for a full EMG set up

I am gonna be putting EMG's in a guitar (an 81 and a 60) and I want to know how much I should expect to pay for the whole setup. (including buying the pickups) Any ideas?

Zach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 06:49 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: How much should I expect to pay for a full EMG set up

What are your fingers broken? Shop around bro! There's lots of great deals out there. Just check some stores and then go on the net. Unless you're good with a router i'd recomend taking it to someone with experience. The biggest price hike will be the routing for the battery. I've never had EMGs put in so i can only speculate on what that's gonna cost you. Typical pickup install is usually 10-20 bucks. You'd probably have to tack on at least $50 (i'm guessing) for routing for the battery chamber. You also might wanna make sure those pickups are going to give you the sound you want. Find an ax that's similar to yours, it's not going to be exact, every guitar is different but it will give you a halfway decent idea. Personally I've never been a fan of emgs. But hey everybody has different opinions on what they like.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

...I am at work actually. I am stuck using the computer. I am gonna make some phone calls tomorrow to some local shops to see what their prices are, but I thought I would ask around the net as much as I could. I had EMG's a in one of my guitars and I really liked the sound. Would you recommend anything else? I have two Bill Lawrences (XL500) in my guitar now and I need something a bit more warm without losing the metal for the bridge. I will be playing some Vai-ish leads with a little bit of Jazz in there. If anyone can recommend anything, I would appreciate that as well!

Zach
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 09:28 PM

Reviews: 6

I've got a telecaster with humbuckers that has a JB in bridge position and a Jazz in the neck (seymour duncans) These are awesome pickups and are somewhat less expensive both to buy and install. It cost me probably around $120. I also have a coil tap installed. If you really want the whole active thing goin you could look for an active/passive eq to install with the pickups, that's what i'd do.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 11:33 PM

You can usually find space in 'most' guitars to put the battery for your EMG's without having to route an extra cavity.

Everything you'll need(pots,battery clip,screws,pickup leads etc.) comes with the pickups so you'll probably just be looking at the cost of the pickups and maybe a little bit of extra pickup wire (depending on the guitar).

They're probably the easiest pickups as far as fitting goes. I had no problem with them (so you definitely shouldn't,lol).

Tags
bridge position , coil tap , seymour duncan , seymour duncans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode