How powerful is the Seymour Duncan JB in comparison to a Dimarzio Model Humbucker? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

How powerful is the Seymour Duncan JB in comparison to a Dimarzio Model Humbucker?

How powerfull is the Seymour Duncan JB in comparison to a Dimarzio Model Humbucker? it were the first humbucker i ever tried in a HSS strat and ever since i have tried Many Dimarzio Models including the Mo'joe, and most recently the D-sonic, the D-sonic is Output mV: 390 according to Dimarzio's site, where the JB is Bridge: 16.4 k.

in my opinion the JB seems to keep up with the D-Sonic in terms of output,but i never really got on with the D-sonic and with every humbucker i have played i seem to keep going back to the JB.

I have read and heard that a lot of people actually hate the JB and i have always wondered why, as to my ears it really seems to have a great sound and is very!! versitile.

also a lot of metal players use the JB even though it was designed in the late 1970's so was this pickup really designed for metal!?

love to know your views on this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: How powerful is the Seymour Duncan JB in comparison to a Dimarzio Model Humbucker

It's hard to compare it to a "DiMarzio Model Humbucker" in terms of output, as models vary.
The DiMarzio Super Distortion was also created in the 70s and is still a great pickup for metal.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 09:54 AM

Re: How powerful is the Seymour Duncan JB in comparison to a Dimarzio Model Humbucker

The reason a lot of players don't like the JB is it has a "Honk" sound to the midrange that can give it a sort of ****ed wah effect under certain circumstances.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 AM

I personally never liked JBs. Bought a few guitars that came with them and I had to take them out. Sound kinda muddy to me?? The Supers on the other hand are one of my all time faves.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 10:59 AM

Reviews: 1

The main guitar I use for the band I play in Crazy Train, The Ultimate Ozzy Trbuite, The JB sounds best.
I perfer an Evo, Or tone zone, Or even a Super 3, but the JB sounds best for most Ozzy tunes.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 03:37 PM

Reviews: 10

A lot of people hate the JB?!? I don't know about that - I love the Duncan JB pup. Dimarzios seem to rule Jemsite but the Duncan JB has been a popular choice for many players for a long time. I have personally always been a Duncan fan and I have used the Duncan JB jr for many years in my Strats and I also have a full sized JB in my RG550 and I still like the JB the best out of all the humbuckers I've tried - including the Dimarzios... The JB is brighter with more mid-range presence than the Air Zone in my RG2550 and the ever popular tone zone...the JB seems to cut through the mix better when the whole band is going... There is no shame in loving the JB - if it sounds right to your ears then go with it
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 06:04 PM

Reviews: 120

The JB is the highest selling pickup of all time. Can't be hated by too many people.

The reason why some may not get along with the JB is because it was designed with 250K pots in mind when it was created. Many use 500K pots, and if their guitar is brighter sounding they find the pickup a bit too honky.

I'm actually writing for Seymour Duncan now, and have a JB and 59 on the way that I'll be writing about. I've build what I'm calling a 'two stage potentiometer' for my volume to test in a brighter sounding alder bodied guitar.

Tags
output pickup , power , seymour duncan jb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode