How to wire this humbucker? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

How to wire this humbucker?

I'm trying to wire this humbucker using this wiring diagram: http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...vol_1tone.html

The thing is, my humbucker is a really cheap one from a Pirannha (sp?) guitar. I'm just rebuilding this guitar for fun so I don't want to spend money on another pickup, just want to get it working (because it wasn't working when I got it) (someone gave it to me).

Anyway, I'm having problems because theirs only 3 wires, instead of 4 like the seymour duncan. Inside the big gray wire, their is a black wire, a white wire, and a wire with no plastic around it. How do I know which wire does what?

Thanks,
joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 07:01 PM

white is normally HOT . BARE is earth .

HTH

Rob
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 07:58 PM

The shield is grounded of course, but what you need to find out is what the other two do. They either represent an "in" and an "out" of the humbucker, or the shield is doubling as the "in", one of the wires is the "out" and therefore hot, and the other wire is the coil junction used for coil splitting. If you have an ohms meter, it will read like this:

A) Shield to one of the wires is "x"(roughly between 8k and 21k) while shield to the other wire is roughly half of "x"(roughly between 4k and 11k. In that case you have a shield, a hot, and a coil junction.

B) Shield has no connection to either wire and the two wires read roughly between 8k and 21k. In that case you have a shield, a hot, and a ground.(or in and out) The hot and ground can be reversed if the pickup is out of phase with the others.

If you have no meter, it will come out like this:

A) Shield to ground, then hook one of the wires to hot, and see if you get signal. If so, then disconnect that wire and hook the other wire to hot. It would be twice the volume or half the volume depending on which one you got first. Then you know you have a hot and a coil junction.

B) Shield to ground, then hook one wire up, and you get nothing. Touch the other to ground and all of a sudden the signal is there. Then you know you have a hot and ground.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Alright. Thanks to your info I figured out that the black wire is hot, the bare is coil junction and the white is ground.

Now if I look at the Duncan schematic, the white wire would be green, the black wire is black and the bare would I assume be the red and white which are soldered together and insulated. What does this mean? Where do I plug the bare wire? Nowhere? Just put tape on it? I assume it would only be usefull if I had other pickups in the guitar, but since their is only one humbucker, I don't use it?

Thanks,
joe
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 09:47 PM

Anything is possible, but I highly doubt that the bare wire is the coil junction. It's there to ground the baseplate, maybe the pole pieces, and then to shield the cable run to the electronics. Please advise how you came to that conclusion.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

A) Shield to one of the wires is "x"(roughly between 8k and 21k) while shield to the other wire is roughly half of "x"(roughly between 4k and 11k. In that case you have a shield, a hot, and a coil junction.

When measuring from the white wire to the black one, I got between 8k and 21k, and when measuring from the bare to the white, I got betweem 4k and 11k. Or maybe I completly misunderstood?

I am a beginner
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 10:50 PM

No you got it right, but it still sounds like bare is shield(ground) and white is the coil junction, and black is hot.

You started with white first. It is more important what bare is to white vs. bare to black. Bare to black should be roughly twice that of bare to white, and bare to white should be roughly the same as white to black. If that's the case then "A" is correct, and bare is ground, white is the junction and black is hot. Let me know
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

You're probably right because I wired it the way I thought before reading your reply and it dosen't work. Anyway I think I'll just forget that guitar, the tuners are broken and the saddles also, and I don't want to spend a dime on it, so unless I get some free tuners and saddles (or REALLY cheap), the guitar will collect dust
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 05:51 PM

Frank's kind of a Pickup Guru :-) ... But 99% of pickups have bare as ground,if it helps at all ?

Rob

Tags
coil split , coil splitting , seymour duncan , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode