HSS Using Dimarzio Injectors - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

HSS Using Dimarzio Injectors

I want to replace the 2 single coils in my HSS strat with noiseless ones. I'm after a high output modern sounding single, so the Dimarzio Injectors seem to be perfect. But, as they will be used with a fairly high output humbucker in the bridge, I'm thinking of using 2 DP423s, the bridge model, rather than the neck DP422.

Anyone tried this? I can't find any reviews of them being used like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 09:02 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: HSS Using Dimarzio Injectors

If your looking for a more "modern" sound, and higher output, I would forget about the injectors and start thinking along the lines of an AN-S, Paf-S or similar single spaced hums. I use a Tone Zone-S in the middle of my RG770.......it keeps up perfectly with the stock IBZusa's in the neck and bridge.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Interesting thought, but I really want to stick with single coils rather than single sized humbuckers. I have those tones covered by other guitars.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 12:57 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
Interesting thought, but I really want to stick with single coils rather than single sized humbuckers. I have those tones covered by other guitars.
Understandable, but if you should know that the single spaced hums do not sound like their full sized counterparts. They're designed to have a very good single coil "feel" while still being hum cancelling and to better match the higher output of today's "modern" humbuckers in an H-S-H or H-S-S setup like yours (and most of ours...LOL).

All that said, Just like the TZ-S that I'm using in the middle, I think the injector bridge model will work well for you. Even though they're both designed to be bridge pups, they are very good at their jobs in other positions. I've said it in other posts too, the TZ-S has for once made the middle position in my guitar useable for the first time in my life. For the 20+ years previous I've always just gone past positions 2&3 (or 4&5 depending on how you define them).
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Understandable, but if you should know that the single spaced hums do not sound like their full sized counterparts.
I've used them, and I like them, just not what I'm looking for this time.
I'm one of those rare breeds that actually uses the middle single a lot, but yes, not that many seem to work well.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
I've used them, and I like them, just not what I'm looking for this time.
I'm one of those rare breeds that actually uses the middle single a lot, but yes, not that many seem to work well.
If you're looking for the strat sort of sound, you might want to try the Cruiser neck. Andy Timmons uses it to balance a fairly hot (By most standards) humbucker in the bridge and he gets some excellent single coil sounds from it.

If you want something EQ'd closer to the Injectors, the Chopper is a whole lot more powerful, with a very similar tone according to DiMarzio.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Interesting thought - I'd not considered the cruiser or chopper.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 PM

Reviews: 120

The Injector neck should be able to balance pretty well with a high powered humbucker in the bridge anyway. The Injectors are some of the hottest singles DiMarzio have made. If you use a bridge or neck model in the middle it'll be out of phase in the in-between positions. Maybe you might want to put the Area 67 in the middle, and Injector neck in the neck like PG does?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Eh, no. 2 identical pickups, wired the same way round, and installed in the same orientation can only be in phase.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

As no one else seems to have done it, I thought I'd give it a go and use the Injector bridges in the neck and middle. They do balance really well with a hot bridge humbucker. I'm pretty convinced that they are the tone I was going for, but I'll give it a few weeks and a couple of gigs before I decide. The only think I'm not keen on so far is that mine came with "Dimarzio" emblazoned in back writing on the white covers - I'd rather have plane covers, but that's an easy fix.

Tags
hss , injector neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode