Hum cancelling question. - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Question Hum cancelling question.

I rewired my 2 humbucker guitar to have a push pull tone pot. So now I can split coil both humbucks when I want to. It sounds good and everything but I notice the middle position (both humbuckers together in split coil mode, center coils) is not hum cancelling. Should it be? Does this mean I'm out of phase? It really doesn't sound thin enough to me to be out of phase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 09:50 PM

Re: Hum cancelling question.

Everything's fine, you just don't have the two coils you want. First, find out which coils you have by tapping them with an allen wrench or something. Then decide which coils you actually want.

The push/pull cuts the humbuckers by shorting the coil junction to ground, right? Well instead of going to ground, one of the coil junctions has to go to hot. But not the main hot on the switch or volume pot. It has to return to the hot of the pickup itself. Then you'll have the "other coil" of that pickup. So be mindful which coils you want, and then switch the appropriate wire.

If, after the mod you don't have the right coil locations, you can always flip a pickup around to move the active coil to the other side, too.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

I have the middle 2 coils. Thats usually the way it's done right?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 11:21 PM

Yes, so if you want to keep the two middles, you'll have to flip one of the pickups around physically. Pick one that is symmetrical, so it won't look "backwards" if possible. Then that's the one you'll need to rewire so the coil junction goes to it's hot rather than ground.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
But not the main hot on the switch or volume pot. It has to return to the hot of the pickup itself
I don't quite follow this. what do you mean by "hot of the pickup itself". and thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Just to clarify I have the coil junction (white and red) going to the push pull switch and then to ground to get the split coil mode. I have the bare stranded wire going to ground, I have the green (hot) wire going to volume pot, and the black wire going to ground.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 09:51 AM

So the pickup that you aren't flipping around stays the same. Just to get that clear. The white/red junction will still go to ground on that side of the push/pull. But the white/red junction of other pickup, the one you're flipping, has to go to it's own green wire. So instead of the jumper going to ground on that side, make a jumper that goes to wherever your green wire is going to. You say it's going to the volume pot. Does that mean you have a volume for each pickup? And the volume comes before the pickup selector switch like a Les Paul? Because I would've thought you had the green wire going to the selector switch. I guess I was thinking "Ibanez style" guitar.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Yes Les Paul style setup. Two volumes and one tone. The tone is the push pull.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 10:34 AM

Sounds good, just run a jumper from that leg of the switch to the green and you're all set. You'll have the "other" coil and you'll cancel hum.

Bear in mind that you may not cancel hum as effectively as when each pickup is in humbucking mode, depending on how different the pickups are from eachother. Each pickup's humbucking mode may be a little quieter if they have matched coils.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

okay thanks thats great. I don't even mind a little single coil hum. To me it's just part of the single coil sound. I just wanted to make sure everything was wired correct.

Tags
allen wrench , coil mode , humbucker guitar , les paul , pickup selector switch , pull tone , pull tone pot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode