Hum-cancelling vs standard ones? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Hum-cancelling vs standard ones?

Could someone explain me what is the diffrence between hum-cancelling single coil and standard single coil? Look at dimarzio page dimarzio.com/pickups/strat/hum-canceling-strat
If i use the middle single coil(HSH) to play in 2 and 4 switch position(single coil+splited humb) which single coil for middle i should buy?
And every single coil allow me to install it in reverse polarity way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 05:56 AM

Re: Hum-cancelling vs standard ones?

Hum-cancelling means that the single coil doesn't make noise. The reason humbuckers are called humbuckers is because they dont "hum," aka they dont make noise or pick up interference noise from power lines and such. Get your guitar, switch on the middle single coil and put some gain through it. It'll start to get really noisy. Humbuckers dont make that crazy noise.

So hum-canceling single coils like the Cruiser are single coils that act like humbuckers. The are very clean sounding, they dont make noise.

You don't NEED hum-canceling single coils, it's all a matter of taste. Personally, I like hum-canceling more because I like that kind of sound, but my only hum-canceling pup right now is the evolution single coil (which will change once I get my cruisers into my RG560). I also like the sound I get when i split my middle S1 with my IBZ/USA F2 and F4 pups in my 550. I can get a very nice strat and telecaster tone from it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, now I get it!
I think I will go for one then.
What I want? Pickup which paired with splitted humbucker(2nd and 4th position) will give me bright, strat-tisch tone. But when I will play it alone (3rd position) will give something a little more than standard single(Andy Timmons style). I'm thinking about about AREA61/AREA67/FAST Track1. What you think?
Will one of those pickups will give me what I want? Strat sound and nice lead on overdrive(not death metal hi gain) when played alone?
My guitar mahogany RG, maple top and maple neck. Bridge will evo2, neck humb PAF PRO.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 07:53 AM

If you want Andy Timmons-like sound from your single coils, you need "the cruiser" bridge pickup in both middle and neck position. That's exactly what he uses. He has his own signature AT-1 Humbucker as well. However, I've seen videos of him talking about his setup and he says he mainly uses his humbucker and the neck pickup. Doesn't really use the middle or split positions. However, if you want that middle pup sound that is Andy Timmons-ish, you need a cruiser.

The reason I know so much about AT is that I ordered his full set (2 cruisers and AT-1) and going to put it into my purple neon RG560. I love his sound also
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

I know but Timmons has guitar made from ash which is diffrent sounding wood than my mahogany+maple top.
Im asking again
Will one of those hum cancelling pickups give me strat sound on clean channel(2 and 4 position) and nice lead on overdrive(like andy timmons song "electric gypsy") when played alone?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 08:38 AM

The cruiser, in various vids i watched, will give excellent strat tones. Phil Collen of Def Leppard uses them in his Fender.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

I read a little... now im also thinking about cruiser neck/bridge... Why they dont make one pickup? Then i wouldnt need to choose from so many
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 09:15 AM

If you look carefully at the cruiser neck and bridge, the bridge has a slightly higher output and I think it has better mids iirc (not looking at dimarzios site right now so going off memory).

I was curious about the neck version but I decided to go full on Andy timmons with my basswood 24 fret 560.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Ok guys end of a thread. I ended with True Velvet in the middle. Why? Because I cant use properly position 2nd and 4th with noiseless single coil. I will throw here few comments from other forums for those who will have same problem like me. Thanks to everyone who helped me a lot!

"Don't use a hum cancelling sc in a HSH guitar. When it is used in combination with a bucker (which is what people do most of the time), the bucker is split. The bucker is therefore not hum-cancelling anymore. When using a regular single coil with reverse winding/reverse polarity together with said bucker, the hum will be canceled out (for the most part). When using a hum-cancelling sc, the hum from the split bucker will stay."

"Well, there's pluses and minuses. Normally with a HSH strat it's wired so that in positions 2 and 4 you only get one coil from the neck/bridge pickup in parallel with the middle pup for quack. If yours is wired that way you get a single coil from the neck/bridge in parallel with a series connected humbucker. The humbucker (the noice canceling sc) will swamp the neck/bridge winding, it certainly won't quack properly.
However, if you rewire it to a simpler config for the neck and bridge so those are just series connected like the new one and hook it up to the switch the same way you can have a simple parallel connection between series connected humbuckers. No quack but lots of fat.
Confused yet? It all depends on how yours is wired.
Edit: Yes, you can't have hum cancelling with three coils, you need an even number."

"Regarding the reverse polarity issue, the Area '67 is a four conductor humbucking pickup, so you do not need a reverse polarity model when you wire it up as a humbucker. To do this you need to buy a new Multipole switch (AKA ‘Super Switch’) because the one used in the RG1570 can’t handle all the inputs. If you get hold of an Otax VLX91, which Ibanez use in the Steve Vai Jems and Paul Gilbert guitars, you can wire up your guitar using the diagram below for the JEM 20th (Ignoring the push/pull pot for the LED light!). Alternatively, you can wire it up as a ‘true’ Single Coil pickup as Bud described. Indecently, I also considered the Area ’67, but ended up buying the (reverse polarity) True Velvet Middle (DP175S), partly based on the advice of another forum user who said he found the humbucker versions lacked something. I haven’t had time to test it thoroughly as I only finished the wiring at the weekend, but so far so good!"

Last edited by benfred; 09-30-2013 at 06:19 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

... and sorry for bothering!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 08:53 PM

No problem man. I dont know that much about all the winding and stuff but I am happy with the sounds for my guitars so i dont pay that much attention to little details like that
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 04:45 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfred View Post
Ok guys end of a thread. I ended with True Velvet in the middle. Why? Because I cant use properly position 2nd and 4th with noiseless single coil. I will throw here few comments from other forums for those who will have same problem like me. Thanks to everyone who helped me a lot!

"Don't use a hum cancelling sc in a HSH guitar. When it is used in combination with a bucker (which is what people do most of the time), the bucker is split. The bucker is therefore not hum-cancelling anymore. When using a regular single coil with reverse winding/reverse polarity together with said bucker, the hum will be canceled out (for the most part). When using a hum-cancelling sc, the hum from the split bucker will stay."

"Well, there's pluses and minuses. Normally with a HSH strat it's wired so that in positions 2 and 4 you only get one coil from the neck/bridge pickup in parallel with the middle pup for quack. If yours is wired that way you get a single coil from the neck/bridge in parallel with a series connected humbucker. The humbucker (the noice canceling sc) will swamp the neck/bridge winding, it certainly won't quack properly.
However, if you rewire it to a simpler config for the neck and bridge so those are just series connected like the new one and hook it up to the switch the same way you can have a simple parallel connection between series connected humbuckers. No quack but lots of fat.
Confused yet? It all depends on how yours is wired.
Edit: Yes, you can't have hum cancelling with three coils, you need an even number."

"Regarding the reverse polarity issue, the Area '67 is a four conductor humbucking pickup, so you do not need a reverse polarity model when you wire it up as a humbucker. To do this you need to buy a new Multipole switch (AKA ‘Super Switch’) because the one used in the RG1570 can’t handle all the inputs. If you get hold of an Otax VLX91, which Ibanez use in the Steve Vai Jems and Paul Gilbert guitars, you can wire up your guitar using the diagram below for the JEM 20th (Ignoring the push/pull pot for the LED light!). Alternatively, you can wire it up as a ‘true’ Single Coil pickup as Bud described. Indecently, I also considered the Area ’67, but ended up buying the (reverse polarity) True Velvet Middle (DP175S), partly based on the advice of another forum user who said he found the humbucker versions lacked something. I haven’t had time to test it thoroughly as I only finished the wiring at the weekend, but so far so good!"
Almost everything in this post is misleading, confusing, or flat out wrong......

Yes, you can have a single spaced humbucker in the middle of your HSH setup AND have it give you a tone similar to a strat "quack" in the 2nd and 4th positions. It will always be humbucking because it's a humbucker. It will NEVER be running on a single coil without one coil from another pickup to keep it hum cancelling. You will always have two coils in use with any position of the switch.

As a note: DiMarzio's "Hum-cancelling pickups for Strat" are all two coil humbuckers in a single space. The coils are stacked one on top of the other in pickups that have pole pieces and side-by-side in pickups that have bar magnets.

Tags
hum cancelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode