hum in positions 2 and 4 of 5 way switch - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

hum in positions 2 and 4 of 5 way switch

Hey guys. Dug out my RG 470 (Japan model) from 1999 and put in all 3 new evolution pickups. Started with the bridge evo 1, then added the ISCV2 in mid, and finally the evo neck in neck position. These installs where done on three different dates. The evo 1 in bridge installed excellent, no problems. The next week I added the ISCV2 in mid which was also an easy hookup. But when the following week I added the evo neck there was now an obvious low frequency hum that I had never noticed before. The funny thing is that it only makes the low hum, which is rather loud when distortion in on, in positions 2,3,4 not when using positions 1 (full neck humbucker) or 5 (full bridge humbucker) of the 5 way stock ibanez switch. I do know that the mid pickup is a single coil and there will be a buzzing sound when I switch to position 3. That is there as it always has been even with the old ibanez stock pickups. But this new low frequency hum is also there in position 3 as well as 2 and 4. So to sum it up, low frequency hum in 2, low frequency and high frequency hum in 3, low frequency hum in 4, both 1 and 5 have no hum and sound excellent. Just in case, I rewired all the grounds from the pickups to the same spot twice and checked all the other wires and there appears to be no problems. I also tried moving wires around while plugged in to see if there were any loose connections but still no problems. So I pretty much have no clue as to why this low hum is present.

Other info that might help-I replaced the stock v8,s,v7 (H-S-H) pickups with the evolutions. Still have the standard Ibanez 5 way switch (8 pins in a row). Followed the directions found on this site which were: pin1=red bridge wire, pin2=black mid wire, pin3=red neck wire, pin4=white to pot (didn't touch this wire), pin 5=open,pin 6=white/black bridge wires, pin 7=black to pot (didn't touch this wire), pin8=white/black bridge wires. This should follow the Jem Dimarzio H-S-H diagram from their website except that their 5 way switch has pins on both sides. To keep this from getting confused I just put the red wires where the old pickups red wires were and connect the white and black wires together to where the old pickup's white wires where. Found that tip on this site too and seemed to work great until I added that neck pickup. Also, the volume of the mid pickup is a quieter than the bridge or neck humbuckers but I figure that is normal since it is a single coil but maybe I'm wrong and it's another clue as to what the problem is.

Does anyone have any clue as to what I did wrong or a way to troubleshoot this? Any comments will be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 02:30 PM

Re: hum in positions 2 and 4 of 5 way switch

It sounds like a couple of probbmems, the wire colours from the Dimarzio pups are not the same as those of Ibanez pups, so you may have a problem there. I think the main problem is that the single coil is wired so it isn't humbucking with one half of the bridge or neck.
Have a look on the Ibanez site under services for the wiring diagram of a Jem with the same 8 pole switch as you describe. I'm sorry I can't give you the correct url but I'm using my pda at the moment and I can't look it up!
Jim

edit look at http://www.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams.aspx
the jem circuit shows green and red wires from the single coil with the GREEN going to the switch not red, red to pot chassis.
Jim

Last edited by Vim Fuego; 01-25-2008 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Update
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I just looked up a 99 jem 555. The higher end jems of 99 used a different 5 way switch than the 8 pole that is in my 99 rg. The 99 jem 555 mid pickup has black and red wires which I seem to have hooked up correctly. I have swapped them just in case but it made things worse (probably out of phase). So I put them back how I had them. But maybe it has something to do with the colors of my stock v7 and v8 not matching the colors of the new evolutions. I researched this fairly well before hand and it seems the best answer I could come up with was that the evo red=ibanez red, evo white+black=ibanez black, evo bare+green=ibanez green (ground). Lots of people seem to agree on this so I wired it just like that only to find that there is considerable low frequency hum in positions 2,3,4. I do agree that it seems the coils are not splitting in positions 2 and 4 and thus the low frequency hum. Just can't figure out how to fix this. Any other ideas of ways to swap the wires around? I want to dig into this when I get home in an hour or so. Got to get it right
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:27 PM

Ok, seems like you've been pretty thorough, the onlly thing that springs to mind now is a duff single coil (however the level of my single coil on my jem is low compared with the humbuckers), perhaps you could put the ibanez back and see if that helps?
Jim
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

I'll try that if no other wiring works but I think it is probably something to do with the wiring. I think maybe you are correct saying that the humbuckers may not be humcancelling with the single coil. So a humbucker may be full on with the single in positions 2 and 4. Thus the low frequency hum in positions 2 and 4 which seems odd since it should be humcancelling. Lets see if anyone else chimes in with some things to try. If not, I'm going to try pretty much everything I've seen on this forum tonight. But I know it must be something simple like switching a couple wires around. Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks!
Mike
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

One other thing I should add is if it is possible that this is some sort of hum caused from an external source somewhere in the houses electricity? If we were to assume that it was external why would it make no hum in positions 1 and 5 which are full on humbuckers but hum in positions 2 and 4 which are supposed to be humbucked with the mid pickup? Of course the mid pickup which is position 3 also has the loud hum but I know that one is a single coil. The reason why I bring this up is that the hum does change as I move around the house but only in positions 2,3,4. I can move anywhere I want with no hum in positions 1 and 5. Does this make any sense? Just trying to rule out any possibilites before I tear apart this guitar again, lol.

I still think it is something to do with the wiring.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 05:07 AM

I've been thinking about this a bit more. When you say you swapped the single coil wires and the sound got worse, did the sound become thin but the hum go away? I agree that the single coil may not be humbucking with the coils selected in positions 2 and 4. if so there are a couple of things you could do.
1. change the connection pin 7 (black to pot) and connect this to the tab on the pot pin 4 goes to (or even directly to pin 4). This will select the other coils of the neck an bridge pups in positions 2 and 4 and so sould fix the hum problem.
The sound will be slightly different as you'll be using the outside coils instead of the inside ones (or the other way round).
2. I suppose you could disassemble the single coil and swap the magnet over and then swap the wires!!! (not recommended)
If the pickups hum with the middle connected either way round then check that one of the single coil wires is connected to earth (on the pot chassis)(perhaps do this first!!)
As for the hum in the first place I've found that computers or monitors cause terrible interference but otherwise my house is pretty quiet.
Jim
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 12:01 PM

The white and black are tap wires aren't they? So you would want to connect white to the same place the white wire went for the old bridge pickup and tape the black off. That shuts off (sends to ground) the outer coil on the bridge pickup. Then for the neck pickup you solder the white to the tap on the switch, that sends the other outer coil to ground..

i may be totally wrong but if white and black are connected and soldered to the place where the old tap went, they are being sent to ground, essentially shutting off the pickup?

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-DIMARZIO.html

hope some of this is right, im trying to learn how to do this myself :P

Last edited by salami; 01-26-2008 at 12:16 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 01:30 PM

Salami, the white and back on the humbuckers are soldered together so the two coils are in series normally. It's like the signal goes in the green wire, out the white, into the black and then out the red.
The usual connection is green and braid to ground, black and white connected together and then insulated, then red to the volume controls/output.
you can tap the pickup by connecting the black and white to either ground which will voice the black and red coil or to the volume/output which will voice the green and white coil.
The two coils may sound different because:
1. They are made different.
2. One has slugs, the other screws for pole pieces.
3. One coil is slightly nearer the bridge.
What is important and may be causing Jazzmcs's problem is in combination with a single coil only one of the humbucker coils will buck hum, say the black and red coil. The other one will add its hum to the single coil not cancel it.
Jim

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , bridge pup , dimarzio pups , evolution pickups , neck humbucker , neck pickup , neck position , pole switch , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode