hum in positions 2 and 4 of 5 way switch - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

hum in positions 2 and 4 of 5 way switch

Hey guys. Dug out my RG 470 (Japan model) from 1999 and put in all 3 new evolution pickups. Started with the bridge evo 1, then added the ISCV2 in mid, and finally the evo neck in neck position. These installs where done on three different dates. The evo 1 in bridge installed excellent, no problems. The next week I added the ISCV2 in mid which was also an easy hookup. But when the following week I added the evo neck there was now an obvious low frequency hum that I had never noticed before. The funny thing is that it only makes the low hum, which is rather loud when distortion in on, in positions 2,3,4 not when using positions 1 (full neck humbucker) or 5 (full bridge humbucker) of the 5 way stock ibanez switch. I do know that the mid pickup is a single coil and there will be a buzzing sound when I switch to position 3. That is there as it always has been even with the old ibanez stock pickups. But this new low frequency hum is also there in position 3 as well as 2 and 4. So to sum it up, low frequency hum in 2, low frequency and high frequency hum in 3, low frequency hum in 4, both 1 and 5 have no hum and sound excellent. Just in case, I rewired all the grounds from the pickups to the same spot twice and checked all the other wires and there appears to be no problems. I also tried moving wires around while plugged in to see if there were any loose connections but still no problems. So I pretty much have no clue as to why this low hum is present.

Other info that might help-I replaced the stock v8,s,v7 (H-S-H) pickups with the evolutions. Still have the standard Ibanez 5 way switch (8 pins in a row). Followed the directions found on this site which were: pin1=red bridge wire, pin2=black mid wire, pin3=red neck wire, pin4=white to pot (didn't touch this wire), pin 5=open,pin 6=white/black bridge wires, pin 7=black to pot (didn't touch this wire), pin8=white/black bridge wires. This should follow the Jem Dimarzio H-S-H diagram from their website except that their 5 way switch has pins on both sides. To keep this from getting confused I just put the red wires where the old pickups red wires were and connect the white and black wires together to where the old pickup's white wires where. Found that tip on this site too and seemed to work great until I added that neck pickup. Also, the volume of the mid pickup is a quieter than the bridge or neck humbuckers but I figure that is normal since it is a single coil but maybe I'm wrong and it's another clue as to what the problem is.

Does anyone have any clue as to what I did wrong or a way to troubleshoot this? Any comments will be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 08:24 PM

Re: hum in positions 2 and 4 of 5 way switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmcs View Post
Hey guys. Dug out my RG 470 (Japan model) from 1999 and put in all 3 new evolution pickups. Started with the bridge evo 1, then added the ISCV2 in mid, and finally the evo neck in neck position. These installs where done on three different dates. The evo 1 in bridge installed excellent, no problems. The next week I added the ISCV2 in mid which was also an easy hookup. But when the following week I added the evo neck there was now an obvious low frequency hum that I had never noticed before. The funny thing is that it only makes the low hum, which is rather loud when distortion in on, in positions 2,3,4 not when using positions 1 (full neck humbucker) or 5 (full bridge humbucker) of the 5 way stock ibanez switch. I do know that the mid pickup is a single coil and there will be a buzzing sound when I switch to position 3. That is there as it always has been even with the old ibanez stock pickups. But this new low frequency hum is also there in position 3 as well as 2 and 4. So to sum it up, low frequency hum in 2, low frequency and high frequency hum in 3, low frequency hum in 4, both 1 and 5 have no hum and sound excellent. Just in case, I rewired all the grounds from the pickups to the same spot twice and checked all the other wires and there appears to be no problems. I also tried moving wires around while plugged in to see if there were any loose connections but still no problems. So I pretty much have no clue as to why this low hum is present.

Other info that might help-I replaced the stock v8,s,v7 (H-S-H) pickups with the evolutions. Still have the standard Ibanez 5 way switch (8 pins in a row). Followed the directions found on this site which were: pin1=red bridge wire, pin2=black mid wire, pin3=red neck wire, pin4=white to pot (didn't touch this wire), pin 5=open,pin 6=white/black bridge wires, pin 7=black to pot (didn't touch this wire), pin8=white/black bridge wires. This should follow the Jem Dimarzio H-S-H diagram from their website except that their 5 way switch has pins on both sides. To keep this from getting confused I just put the red wires where the old pickups red wires were and connect the white and black wires together to where the old pickup's white wires where. Found that tip on this site too and seemed to work great until I added that neck pickup. Also, the volume of the mid pickup is a quieter than the bridge or neck humbuckers but I figure that is normal since it is a single coil but maybe I'm wrong and it's another clue as to what the problem is.

Does anyone have any clue as to what I did wrong or a way to troubleshoot this? Any comments will be much appreciated
It's because those positions on the switch split the humbuckers into single coils, which are notorious for hum..
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:35 AM

Reviews: 4

The Evolution middle is a pure single-coil, isn't it? It is not a stack, from what I recall...

Try this connection diagram:
http://www.dimarzio.com//media/diagrams/C.pdf

Bear in mind that if your switch must have 2 independant circuits! They may be found on either side of the switch or just on one side. However, the important part is that you identify the 2 circuits.

Let me know if this solves your problem.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 11:44 AM

There are further suggestions in this thread:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72819
Jim

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , evolution pickups , neck humbucker , neck pickup , neck position

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode