Humbucker from hell - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Humbucker from hell

has anyone got one of these in thier guitar, what does it sound like. also im considering a change from my breed and paf pro pickups i want to try the humbucker from hell because i love the straty sound, i wonder if you could tell me, how does the humbucker from hell work with a single in the split positions,(i have a hs-2 wired like a single in the middle position) and what bridge humbucker would complement the humbucker from hell. i thought about the FRED because dimarzio say it has alot of harmonics more like a single coil.
thankyou folks

ps. please dont say something like by a strat or a guitar with singles, i dont want to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

yeah! look at those bloody responses
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 04:20 PM

You might want to check either the dimarzio comparisons chart, so you can see what the pup is like compared to their other pups.
OR check out harmony-central for reviews
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

yeah i was sort of thinking more of some one who has the pickup telling me about it, and what other humbucker might complement it in the bridge, and what single would go with it. i'd rather hear it from a real person than look at some figures on a chart! but thanx for posting anyway, as you can see i was getting a tad frustrated
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 09:45 PM

well www.harmony-central.com will hopefully have some users reviews of it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 07:12 PM

The HfH is one of my personal favorite pickups. I have it in the neck of my S. The sound it as described, glassy, clear (not muddy when using distortion), and I love the tone, but there are a couple drawbacks. When split with my single coil it just sounds horrible, very low out put...just not that good. The HfH also doesn't pickup as many harmonics as I would like, but then again it wasn't designed as a big output screamer. The best solution for this is obviously a good bridge pickup (which I am still lacking). I'm torn between the FRED and the Tone Zone. Good luck with the pickup search.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 10:04 PM

Hey there, Hobo.

Do you happen to have any sound clips of what the HFH sounds like in your S series? I have an S540 that I am thinking of replacing the F1 and F2 on with a TZ in the bridge and an HFH in the neck. I decided against using the HFH in my maple capped alder bodied USRG since I think it would be too thin in that one. I'm trying to find as many people as I can to see what these suckers sound like in a real guitar... but so far, nada.

Also, which S series guitar do you have the HFH in?

Thanks,
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoboeatinasandwich
The HfH is one of my personal favorite pickups. I have it in the neck of my S. The sound it as described, glassy, clear (not muddy when using distortion), and I love the tone, but there are a couple drawbacks. When split with my single coil it just sounds horrible, very low out put...just not that good. The HfH also doesn't pickup as many harmonics as I would like, but then again it wasn't designed as a big output screamer. The best solution for this is obviously a good bridge pickup (which I am still lacking). I'm torn between the FRED and the Tone Zone. Good luck with the pickup search.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 07:39 AM

the HfH kicks mighty and righteous arse. yea verily, so I say for it is so.

I have one in the neck of my rg750, and it goes perfectly with the FRED in the bridge. the s/c is the stock rg750 one, though I never use it. these pickups did all the sounds on my track "superhero" - the HfH specifically did the bubbly quick solo right near the end before the last chorus. thing is, that track's not available online, so telling you that is a bit pointless.

--c.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

its not that my current pickups are bad, i just think i like more of that single coil sound, but im worried about the compatability with a single coil, i would still like to be able to get those straty sounds in the split posistions, however if i got the HFH it would definately be my neck pickup. at the moment i have a paf pro in the neck a breed in the bridge and a hs-2 in the middle posistion, i do like the breed but i dont think its very well balanced with the other pickups, there is a considerable volume change when i switch to the breed and its a bit to trebly for my tastes.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 11:24 AM

The biggest issue I have is that so far, out of the 4 or 5 forums I have used to find out about the HFH, everyone is using it in a BASSWOOD guitar and nothing else. I only have one basswood guitar, and the pickups mount to a pickguard, not direct mounted to the body. I have really targeted the S540 as the one I would setup with the Tone Zone and HFH, but like I said, I can't find a single person that has used the HFH in a mahogany bodied guitar, much less an S540, so I am still a little leery of sticking that sucker in their. I know that originally, John Petrucci and Paul Gilbert both used the HFH/TZ combo in their basswood guitars and I liked their sounds, but again... I have mahogany not basswood.

Thanks for any further thoughts,
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthman
the HfH kicks mighty and righteous arse. yea verily, so I say for it is so.

I have one in the neck of my rg750, and it goes perfectly with the FRED in the bridge. the s/c is the stock rg750 one, though I never use it. these pickups did all the sounds on my track "superhero" - the HfH specifically did the bubbly quick solo right near the end before the last chorus. thing is, that track's not available online, so telling you that is a bit pointless.

--c.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 04:24 PM

Hey slider, my guitar is mahogany (it's the S470 quilt top model). Sorry, I don't have any sound clips. I'd have to say I like the sound of the HfH more in basswood guitars, but I still love it in my guitar. The only problems are the ones I aforementioned. I say go for it and lemme know what you think of it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 11:38 AM

Thanks, hobo. I'll keep thinking about it and let you know what I decide.

Thanks,
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoboeatinasandwich
Hey slider, my guitar is mahogany (it's the S470 quilt top model). Sorry, I don't have any sound clips. I'd have to say I like the sound of the HfH more in basswood guitars, but I still love it in my guitar. The only problems are the ones I aforementioned. I say go for it and lemme know what you think of it.

Tags
alder bodied , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , john petrucci , neck pickup , paf pro , paf pro pickups , paul gilbert , pro pickups , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode