I have a cool idea... - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

I have a cool idea...

I got to thinking... I've got pickups laying around. It'd be cool if we started a little database thread with pickups we have that we're not using. Then, if someone wanted to try one out in their guitar they could pay for whoever owns the pickup to ship it to them to try out. If they like it they can buy it, but if not then they can either mail it back or mail it to whomever is next on the list. The only deal is that whoever buys it in the end sends the money to the guy who actually owns the pickup.

It'd have to run on a strict honor system, so IMO, an I-Trader rating of some sort would be required, so the ideal would be whoever gets to try out pups must have pups that other people can try out as well.

I imagine that the only way this would work is if everyone just puts pups up that they strictly don't need. If you need the thing at some time in the future then don't send it out.

If you want to try this out then post a post with what you have, and then edit that post to reflect changes in inventory. Also, post a price if someone wants to buy it.

I'd say that Priority Mail is a must, and nobody cuts any leads.

I'll start it out with my creme Breed Neck pup that's F-Spaced. I also have an Air Norton in double black but it's currently being tried out by a buddy.

So that's it... I've got:

1 F-Spaced double creme Breed neck. Like a PAF Pro but thicker and warmer. If you want it it's $45 plus the $5 or so to ship priority mail.

Let me know if anyone wants to try it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 12:40 AM

Re: I have a cool idea...

And by the time your the 6th or 7th person to get it the leads are like half an inch long, its inevitable, people will cut them even if you say don't.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
And by the time your the 6th or 7th person to get it the leads are like half an inch long, its inevitable, people will cut them even if you say don't.
Seems to me that if people can't desolder/resolder stuff then that will probably happen. I'd still like to see something like this work tho, if for no other reason than to put a damper on all the "I need teh Brootalz pickup for my pointy metal guit" threads.
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 01:14 AM

Well I just had some brainstorming ideas in the shower..basically its a modified World of Warcraft bank system.

Here we go, the Pickup Club:

First the Rules:

1. No Stock pickups, i.e. V1,v7,v8, Duncan Designed, EMG select and no names.

2. All must have usable lead length, like 5+ inches. Pickups will be tested upon arrival with a voltmeter to test resistance, if they fail they will be returned to shipper without the swap or deny the membership cost until you send a working pickup.

3. DiMarzio, Duncan and other boutique like Bareknuckles welcome. No Actives. In the banks eyes, every pickup is of equal value. Pickups will be free of any major damage or corrosion, light scratches are acceptable.

4. If you want a pickup thats in the Banks inventory, you must send in a pickup first with either the postage for shipping the new pickup to you or a self addressed paid postage envelope/box/bubble whatever. In the eyes of the club each pickup is of equal value. Right now I think single coils are out.

5. International members are welcome, but remember, your paying the postage both ways. If this becomes popular, we could have a bank on either side of the pond to cut down on costs.

6. People willing to participate must be an active jemsite member for 6+ months with at least 1 user feedback. (this rule will probably be tweaked)

7. The cost of this membership is 1 pickup as well as meet rule #6. This membership cost is crucial because it builds the bank inventory up, and without it, this whole idea wouldn't work, and it will eliminate n00b and thieves. This will be the single biggest rule of pickup club and one that will never change.

I think this is a sweet idea personally..

Last edited by Lefty Robb; 02-09-2008 at 01:50 AM.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 01:40 AM

Reviews: 6

Whoa, with that in mind, lefty rob, it could work, because with one pick-up given in, no one can really steal. I would be willing to ship out a variety of pick-ups that i've used and would like to trade in for other things or simply have them at the disposal of curious jemsitters.

Well il read back here from time to time, but i am starting to like this direction ....
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 01:46 AM

Exactly, without this cost the bank would have nothing to trade out.

I just want to elaborate again on this cost because I know people are going to get confused. This is a membership buy in cost, you do not get a pickup in return with the first pickup you send, its the banks pickup. This buy in allows you access to start swapping with the bank.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

I'm liking the whole pickup bank idea. Keep thinking and I'll keep drinking...
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 02:16 AM

I'm swinging it by Glen for his input...
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 04:46 AM
ME.

Cool idea

Don't know if it's gonna work, but it would be really cool.

Maybe glen could set up a database?
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 05:50 AM

I agree ! great idea - perhaps it will even put an end to the "I have a xxxx body, what pups should I put in it" threads
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 07:37 AM
ME.

Quote:

5. International members are welcome, but remember, your paying the postage both ways. If this becomes popular, we could have a bank on either side of the pond to cut down on costs.
Been thinking about it.

If it ever happens I'd love to handle the EU bank!

Again, great idea.

@Lefty, how about a poll to see how many people would be interrested?

Colin
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I agree ! great idea - perhaps it will even put an end to the "I have a xxxx body, what pups should I put in it" threads
Those threads will never end.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 10:25 AM

The only thing I'd be worried about are the leads shortening. Otherwise, it sounds pretty cool.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
The only thing I'd be worried about are the leads shortening. Otherwise, it sounds pretty cool.
Well the Pickup club will not accept Leads shorter than 5 inches period, so no worries about it. You cut the lead shorter, its now yours.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Well the Pickup club will not accept Leads shorter than 5 inches
This should be the slogan for "The pickup club". Run some ads on late night tv, and you guys'll be set!

Tags
air norton , duncan designed , left handed guitar , neck pup , paf pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode