I need with with installing my EMG 81... - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

I need with with installing my EMG 81...

I want to re-install my EMG 81 with only the Volume knob active, as I have NO use for tone knobs, can anyone run me thru on how to?

Also, I had the EMG installed on my Flying V and there was hum coming from the EMG whenver I wasent playing or touching a metal part of the guitar, but when I played it sounded perfcect, any help?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 08:27 PM

Re: I need with with installing my EMG 81...

Not quite sure what set-up you're talking about. If it's just the one EMG 81 in the bridge position then it dead easy to do.
Here's a link to all of the EMG wiring-diagrams. I'm sure there's a diagram for a single 81 with just a volume pot in there.
http://216.26.190.134/support.asp

If i remember correctly (it's been a while since i've fitted my EMG's) when you install actives such as EMG's you have to disconnect the ground-wire from the circuit.
If it's still connected that may be what's causing your hum. You shouldn't get any hum (like the type you're experiencing) when you're using EMG's.

Hope that helps you a bit!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:15 PM

I wonder if he still has a neck pickup connected? Could we have some pics of your guitar? Ive seen alot of emgs with passive pickups in the neck position that sounded like pooh to me :>
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Where exactly is the diagram at? cause i onlt found the ones that come with the EMG.

I dint connect the stock ground wire, just eh EMG by itslef, and i got som heavy hum.

Any help on that diagram? cause ive seen some Jacksons with an EMG 81 bridge with only 1 volume knob, thats how i want it to be.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

i only got the EMG connected by itslef, and a "drone" pickup on the neck that isnt connected.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabu2k1
Where exactly is the diagram at? cause i onlt found the ones that come with the EMG.

I dint connect the stock ground wire, just eh EMG by itslef, and i got som heavy hum.

Any help on that diagram? cause ive seen some Jacksons with an EMG 81 bridge with only 1 volume knob, thats how i want it to be.
Just unsolder or cut off the black ground wire and the bare capacitor wire that connect the tone control to the volume control and voila.

As far as the hum is concerned, if you're not using the neck pup, make sure it's disconnected and make sure the ground to bridge is disconnected also.

Here's the one pup diagram...

I edited the vol/tone one.

Hope it helps!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, i was concered that if I cut the green one i would mess it up, thanks for the help.

As for the hum, NONE of the stock wires are soldered on the guitar, only the EMG, and when i touch it the hum goes away, but when i stop, big hum, i guess the EMG is grounding my body.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 11:50 AM

You need to solder the ground wire on the pickup as well as the stock ground cables(essentially the ground wire from the trem cavity, you can ignore the wires from the neck pickup). That *should* eliminate the hum.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

I think i read the EMGs DONT need the ground wire, I dont have a trem guitar, its a flying V with a stop tailpiece (like gibsons) the neck pickup ha no wires coming out, i wrapped it under the pickup and left it there. but ive given up, ill just have to turn my volume down when im not playing.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 02:36 PM

Make sure you don't have a wire running from under your bridge to any part of the electronics.
If that's not the case, it sounds like you have the wires mixed up going to your output jack, that will cause a hum like you're describing and also not give the guitar near the output that it should have.

Tags
bridge position , neck pickup , neck position , neck pup , trem guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode