i need some help quick, pleeease!! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

i need some help quick, pleeease!!

right, im startin to solder my RG370dx with a new pickup, but which wire on the stock pickups is hot?

is it white or red?

the schematics seem to be back to front, the red on my bridge is wired in the place of the white and vice versa.

this is the first time ive done this, so pleeease help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Re: i need some help quick, pleeease!!

hi guys, right, an update on my problem.

right, i've got a five way switch, so in positions 2 and 4, the humbuckers are split with the single coil.

the pickup im installin is four conductor, so what do i do with the wires?

please can someone help, im missing playin my guitar already.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 10:16 AM

Why don't you ask Rich...I am sure he could help
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 10:23 AM

Is this clear for you?

Last edited by rufes; 05-05-2005 at 10:30 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 11:46 AM

This post is based on the guess that your guitar is wired exactly like in the 2004 rg370dx diagram. Is your guitar wired like that?

http://www.ibanez.com/wiring/wire.asp?y=2004&w=RG370DX

Then the white should be hot.
The red should be the coil tap.
Before telling you which wire of your new pickup goes to which pole, I'll have to know the brand of it.

rufes: wrong diagram!

jemmer77: There are 9000+ members on this board. If everyone directed his questions directly to rich, then
a) this would ruin the purpose of this forum
b) his computer would blow up in a thermonuclear explosion within approx. 0.00002 secs.
you wouldn't want that.

Last edited by horstausmforst; 05-05-2005 at 11:57 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horstausmforst
b) his computer would blow up in a thermonuclear explosion within approx. 0.00002 secs.
you wouldn't want that.
Well I wouldn't; he's like 5 miles away from me!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 12:06 PM

I posted a thread with a similar question on here a little while back: http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35753

There is a link to a wiring diagram on my second post that should help you, that is for the DiMarzio four conductor pickups, but could be the other way round for the white/red wires on the switch apparently.

hope this helps
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 12:57 PM

Quote:
rufes: wrong diagram!
Calm down...... the diagram is perfect for replacing the pickups no matter what guitar are you using. He's not going to replace the rest of the electronics....

Quote:
jemmer77: There are 9000+ members on this board. If everyone directed his questions directly to rich, then
a) this would ruin the purpose of this forum
you wouldn't want that
Are you pretending to be a moderator or a teacher here??????
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufes
the diagram is perfect for replacing the pickups no matter what guitar are you using. He's not going to replace the rest of the electronics....
Look closely. V pickups and powersounds have different colorcodes. Since he wanted to know the colorcodes for his stock pickups to go from there, a diagram of his guitar (370 not 550) would be a better start. I clearly stated in my post that I made my assumptions based on what was pictured in that 370 diagram.
The 550 pickups have red=hot, white=split codes.
My intention was to follow up with a "solder the white wire of the [brand name here] pickup to the lug that was originally wired to the red wire of the stock pickup, etc." message. Having the right diagram handy would be a good starting point.
Actually, there were indeed some runs of the powersounds with the V-colorcodes, and if this was your point and his guitar has indeed some of these installed (as he'll soon tell us), I apologize in advance.

(offtopic)
Imagine you are planning your first pickup soldering job involving replacing a stock pickup with a 4 conductor pickup and are greeted with "don't ask us, better ask rich instead" and a stock rg 550 diagram without answering the question this thread is about ("the pickup im installin is four conductor, so what do i do with the wires?").. oh well.

Quote:
Are you pretending to be a moderator or a teacher here??????
calm down. I don't pretend anything.

(ontopic)

Tags
coil tap , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode