I played a TZ and liked but... - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

I played a TZ and liked but...

I played a J-Custom RG8470 the other day and the tone was great. The DiMarzio Tone Zone sounded great to my ears. Not muddy, not wooly-just right, if you know how to EQ that is. But, because of the love/hate reviews of the pickups I'm worried that if I get one and put it into my RG560 (basswood not mahogany like the JC was), that it won't give me the results I'm looking for.

To make it simple:

1.Do they change anything for the J-Custom setup with the pickup?

2.Is basswood going to adversly effect the sound of the pickup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 12:28 PM

Re: I played a TZ and liked but...

I have a Tone Zone in my RG550 and I like it very much!!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 02:51 PM

it's definitely going to sound differently in basswood as opposed to mahogony. i had a rg3120 that had a stock tz in it and it actually sounded pretty good. but every other guitar i've had the tz in has been too muddy for my ears.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 08:29 PM

I never had a problem with muddiness, at first i didnt like it at all
But i gave it another chance and boom, i like it a lot, and I figured the first time i tried it and didnt like it is because i must have not set it up properly (string height)
I tried it in both Basswood (Rg570) and Mahogany (S470)
And to be honest I like it more in the mahogany just cause I'm not a big fan of Basswood. One day I will put it back in the Rg to make sure.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastachild View Post
it's definitely going to sound differently in basswood as opposed to mahogony. i had a rg3120 that had a stock tz in it and it actually sounded pretty good. but every other guitar i've had the tz in has been too muddy for my ears.
I found the exact opposite. I had an RG3120DR and I almost didnt buy it because the Tone Zone sounded so muddy to me.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

See this is what I'm tlaking about. Even though I tried a TZ it still up in the air. I hate it.

I know it will sound different in basswood, but isn't mahogany darker than basswood? So it should sound abit brighter than it did in the RG8470.

But with what people say I realize that you just can't know wen it comes to the TZ.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 10:06 PM

seeing as i have tried both. the tone zone is my favorite pickup...in mahogany. i cannot stand it in basswood. to my ears it just doesn't sound lively enough and feels like the low end is forced. in mahogany, i absolutely love it. so much in fact i have it in (currently) 11 of my mahogany ibanez's. as far as my basswood rg's go, i have a super 3 in each of them(currently 3). my love for the tone zone doesn't stop there, i actually have it in 2 alder bodied axes and it shines in those as well. imo, i feel that due to basswoods extremely flat eq, i have to get a pickup that is so hot and exaggerated to make the tones pop out, just to keep up with a tone zone in mahogany.

rich
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Hmm. Thanks Rich I see what you mean. It makes a lot of sense in that respect. I love Paul Gilberts playing but when ever he's playing any rythm it's just farty and muddy to me and he uses a TZ in basswood.

I think I'm just going to get a Mo' Jo pickup in the bridge. I love Satch's tone and it seems versatile enough so I guess I'll have to go try it out. Hey the JS is basswood and so is my RG so at least I can get a sense of it. Actually , it would be the Fred in the JS but DiMarzio says the two pickups have very similar tone.

If I was playing a lot of metal these days I would try that Super 3 but my band is just rock and I am starting to see that even my solo stuff is getting a bit lighter.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 11:33 AM

heres the deal with the TZ and me
at first when i first fire it up and play i love it for the first hour or so of playing then it starts to annoy me after that?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
I think I'm just going to get a Mo' Jo pickup in the bridge. I love Satch's tone and it seems versatile enough so I guess I'll have to go try it out. Hey the JS is basswood and so is my RG so at least I can get a sense of it. Actually , it would be the Fred in the JS but DiMarzio says the two pickups have very similar tone.
That sounds like a good plan. I'm thinking about doing the same thing in my 1570. I'm getting bored with the Evo I've got in it.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
1.Do they change anything for the J-Custom setup with the pickup?

2.Is basswood going to adversly effect the sound of the pickup?
1. No, it's just a direct mounted Tone Zone. They might have fine tuned the positioning of everything but I highly doubt it.

2. Yep.. It doesn't sound that bad but I like the sound of the Tone Zone in mahogany personally.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Ahhhhh! Why can't they just have every Pickup in a guitar so you can try them before you buy them!!!!!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 01:20 PM

Too bad you're not in the States. Dimarzio has an exchange program if you're not satisfied.
Quote:
If you are a U.S. resident and you are not satisfied with the performance of your DiMarzioģ pickup for any reason, DiMarzioģ, Inc. will exchange it within thirty days of original purchase for any other DiMarzioģ pickup having an equal or lesser manufacturer's suggested retail price. If you want to exchange it for a higher priced pickup, you must include the difference in the listed retail price with your exchange.
You could always try one out, and if you're not satisfied, sell it on the 'bay or trade it here in the classifides(?)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 05:16 PM

if you're worried about the Tone Zone being too muddy in basswood maybe you should buy a Norton or Air Norton. It's a mix between a Tone Zone and a Fred so it's a little tighter sounding and not as high output.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 09:09 PM

I love tone zone, EQing at the the amp is important, any branded pickup can sound great if you know how to EQ at the amp.

Tags
air norton , alder bodied , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tone zone , paul gilbert , paul gilberts , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode