Ibanez AT100 Inspired Pickup Choice - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez AT100 Inspired Pickup Choice

Hi,

I'm having a custom guitar built with the following specs, and was considering the following specs

*Alder body with purple burst finish (Strat shape with rear wired H-S-S pickups & clear Strat pickguard)
*One piece maple neck + fretboard with 22 frets, AANJ, jumbo stainless steel frets & Graphtech Black Tusq Nut
*Wilkinson VS401 bridge or Hipshot US Contour with steel block (if the VS401 cannot be had in black)
*Hipshot locking tuners

This build started out as a customised version of the Ibanez AT100, so I had intended to go for:

Neck: Cruiser Bridge
Middle: Cruiser Bridge
Bridge: AT-1
Controls: 5 way switch, 2 vol (500k + treble bleed capacitor) & 1 tone (500k)

However, I'm now considering instead going for an Area 67 in the middle for true single coil tones. I'm worried that the 500k pots I'd planned to have initially would make the Area 67 too harsh and sharp, when I'm looking for a John Mayerish tone from the Area 67.

Specifically:

1. Any opinions on the Area 67, especially in the middle position? Do you have experience with any of the Area series pickups, especially with 500k pots?
2. What controls & pots do you have in the guitar? Is it necessary to have 2 vol + 1 tone to balance the three very different pickups? Or would I better off having 1 vol & 2 tones?
3. Opinions on my original vs proposed pickup configuration?
4. Do you have a push pull pot in addition to your 5 way switch?

Thanks very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
area 67 , cruiser , dimarzio , timmons , virtual vintage blues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode