Ibanez BL500 electrics required - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ashurbanipal
  • 1 Post By Ashurbanipal
  • 1 Post By Ashurbanipal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2021, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Question Ibanez BL500 electrics required

my name is Geoff and have an Ibanez BL500 (J811844) ... was my first "real" electric some 40 years ago (actually 1983) .... got it new and used it for most everything for years....then one day decided to swap the supertap6 bridge pick up for a SD Hotrail and regretted it....lost the original pick up and then stopped using the guitar! I would love to restore it back to orig spec but finding it hard to find a complete set of pickups with 5way selector, coil tap and phase switches....plus I need the pots and 2 bronze gnarled pot knobs...... can anyone source and, if so, advise the cost to buy and ship to my UK address ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2021, 08:02 AM

Re: Ibanez BL500 electrics required

Hm, every so often someone is flogging those Super 6 pickups on Reverb or flea bay. Actually, on Reverb, there's a seller called Guitar Tech Craig who makes reproductions of the Super 6, though he doesn't seem have any in his inventory at the moment (he's got a proper website too, worth checking out).

Check out these guys as well: https://www.reproguitarparts.com; http://www.Mr-Ibanez.com. Both offer a variety of NOS and reproduction Ibanez parts. Mr Ibanez is more NOS, while Repro offers both NOS and modern reproductions of old parts.

If any of these people don't have the items you need in stock, it might be worth contacting them and asking them for advice. Likewise, they would tell you about shipping costs to the UK.

With thing like pots and switches, it's probably cheaper to buy a non original part, unless you wish to get into the full minutiae of accurate restoration. I think the phase and tap switches on the BL are just regular DPDT, iirc, which you can get from any electronics/hardware store.

Hope that helps.
spaiceman likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2021, 08:18 AM

Further aside:

The original Super 6 pickups had the oversized A5 polepieces and were wound to 5.5-6k (untapped?) with 42awg wire. For what's available new today, Seymour Duncan offers the Quarter Pound, which is similar in construction, though has a higher resistance (not sure what the wire gauge is). You can order them with various options: staggered or flat poles; rwrp middle; tapped or untapped.
spaiceman likes this.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2021, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Ibanez BL500 electrics required

Hi Ashurbanipal .... I will investigate the links you have given me.....I appreciate your help in this. I guess I want to try for orig as poss but would actually just like to get it running too so we'll see....I hope I miss it as much as I think I do... possibly more of a labour of love, Thanks for the tech spec also on the super 6's
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2021, 09:05 AM

Sure thing, good luck with the resto. Those old BLs are cool, a lot of people think of them as Strat killers.

I don't know if Ibanez did the tappable hotter single coil thing before Seymour Duncan, but it ranks among the various cool little ideas they've had over the years.
spaiceman likes this.

Tags
bl500 , blazer , ibanez , pickups & wiring , supertap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode