Ibanez RG351DX - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez RG351DX

Hello all I recently got an Ibanez RG351DX, and I want to switch out the pups.

1. What type of music do you like? (Parkway drive, A day to remember, Bring me the horizon, Ausut burns red)
2. 30 watt line 6, and 75 watt peavey are my main two amps
3. What are the specifics of your guitar? I find myself having to browse the web all the time to find out the specs of peoples guitars...
A. Hardtail
B. maple or rosewood board? (rosewood fret board
C. how many frets?(24 frets)
D. what controls are on it?(one volume, one tone)
E. What type of wood is you body made from?(basswood)
F. Are your pickups direct mounted, ring mounted or in a pickguard?(mounted in the pickguard)

1. I am changing the pickups because the stock ibanez pickups don't sound great to me, and would prefer to have active pickups.

2. Emg pickups preferred, I played a ESP guitar 401 with and 81 and 85 and loved how it sounded. Also looking for a more agressive tone I guess you could say so emgs would be ideal

What I am thinking: 81 in the neck position, and 60 in the bridge, but not 100 percent set.

Also I have hooked up and emg passive pickup in an sg before but have never done active pups with a 5 way switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 04:45 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Ibanez RG351DX

EMGs are a good pick for what you want to play. I've actually got an 81-SA-85 set with pots and battery clip in the classifieds if you wan to save a few $$$ for your setup.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

is it the newer emg's with like the quick install stuff or no?
and also, I don't know how to wire the 5 selector switch,

is the SA a single coil??
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 06:24 AM

2 of the 3 are quick connect to the pickup, but solder to the selector for each one. It's easy when you follow a diagram.

SA is a single, yes. Very nice one at that.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Well I may be buying them from you, and I have tried finding the diagram for my type of guitar and can't!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 06:05 PM

EMG site doesn't have it there? I'm sure they've got one. At any rate it's pretty easy. Have a look through the stickys at the top of this sub-forum, there's a whole bunch of wiring diagrams. It's just a simplified version of what you've got wired there now.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

I looked and couldn't find it lol
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 02:17 AM

Reviews: 11

85 in the bridge, 81 in the neck.

Judging from your musical taste, I'm just going to guess that you play anywhere from Drop C to Drop A#. Maybe Drop A.

My good friend's guitar came with an 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck. Even in Drop A through a 6505+ it sounded thin and honky. So, whilst I was giving him a setup, I flipped the two around. Wow.

The 85 in the bridge is chunky and clear as fu*k. And the 81 in the neck was clear and great for solo'ing and cleans.

For a musical reference, we weren't playing any 80's pus*y ass glam rock. We play straight up death metal. So take it from me. As a fellow detuned metal guitarist, the 85 bridge/81 neck is the right combo.

Though SD Blackouts over all other actives.

DiMarzio D-Sonic bridge/Liquifire neck over all actives. *ALL* actives.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Leaving the stock pup's for now, just picked up and ESP EC-401 with an 81, 60 pickup config!

Tags
ibanez , parkwaydrive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode