Ibanez RG370FMZ with EVO'S AND AIR NORTON S - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Question Ibanez RG370FMZ with EVO'S AND AIR NORTON S

Hey guys,

I have an Ibanez RG370FMZ, the guitar has a Wizard 3 Maple neck 24 frets and a Meranti body, Edge-Zero II tremolo bridge w/ZPS3Fe and string spacing of 10.8mm ring mounted pickups, everything on the guitar is stock no mods or anything like that (yet).

The music I like to play is very diverse, but mainly WagakkiBand, Steve Vai, DragonForce, Polyphia, Imperial Circus Dead Decadence, Dream Theater but I also want to be able to do clean stuff as well and sound awesome.
I want to equip it with 2 Evo's one at the bridge(DIMARZIO DP159) and one at the neck(DIMARZIO DP158 ) and the air Nortons S(AIR NORTON S BK DP180BK) at the middle.

Would this pickup combination work? I mean sound wise and wiring wise? I want to leave the original wiring diagram because I like the stary sound you can get in the 4th and 2ed positions.

I really afraid to **** the guitar up, this is my first Ibanez which I was dreaming about for months, I used to be a fender guy ( owned an American high way one since I was 13 years old) and decided to make the switch recently so yeah pretty afraid to ruin the guitar, I know it's not too expensive or anything but I still love it!

Any recommendations are welcomed as well as opinions.

Love you all!

Last edited by YuukiMagic; 07-15-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 02:32 AM

Those seem like pretty standard combinations of DiMarzios.

The 370 is a bit harder to work on since its back routed instead of front routed.

That said it should work out fine.

How comfortable are you doing the work yourself?

Have you ever done wiring work before?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Re: Ibanez RG370FMZ with EVO'S AND AIR NORTON S

I have never done any wiring myself. is it possible to keep the original pickup selection option with 3 humbuckers?

It is a new guitar so I wanted to send it to get it set up and change the pickups while it's already there.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 02:57 AM

That's the perfect option if you have never done it your self.

As for the pickups, the rg line pretty much was invented to use the 5 way switch and the pickup

Any 5 way switch Ibanez has used since, utilizes the same type of selections that Vai himself requested of Ibanez.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Any good tech can get it done.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyV View Post
That's the perfect option if you have never done it your self.

As for the pickups, the rg line pretty much was invented to use the 5 way switch and the pickup

Any 5 way switch Ibanez has used since, utilizes the same type of selections that Vai himself requested of Ibanez.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Any good tech can get it done.
will these pickups work with the 10.8 mm string spacing?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 04:10 AM

in most cases it should be fine but if you're worried about it get a pick up that says f spacing because most 370s come with a floating bridge f spacing stands for Floyd Rose spacing
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
in most cases it should be fine but if you're worried about it get a pick up that says f spacing because most 370s come with a floating bridge f spacing stands for Floyd Rose spacing
Will they sound good even if it's not F spaced? I'm pretty sure I can't get F spaced where I live
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 04:57 AM

the only one that you really need to be f spaced is the bridge and I think about every single DiMarzio pickup that I've seen for the bridge was already f spaced.
if it is an f spaced it won't be the end of the world people just like to fuss over the strings crossing the pole pieces.

in reality if they cross directly over the pole pieces it probably does have a better output, however I have about 18 Floyd Rose equipped guitars not all of them are f spaced on the bridge pickup and I don't really notice that big of a difference if any at all.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
the only one that you really need to be f spaced is the bridge and I think about every single DiMarzio pickup that I've seen for the bridge was already f spaced.
if it is an f spaced it won't be the end of the world people just like to fuss over the strings crossing the pole pieces.

in reality if they cross directly over the pole pieces it probably does have a better output, however I have about 18 Floyd Rose equipped guitars not all of them are f spaced on the bridge pickup and I don't really notice that big of a difference if any at all.
holy **** I ordered them thinking they were not the F spaces but the F spaced showed up!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 02:18 PM

Lol yup. Like I said, most of them are.

I know they make traditional spaced bridge pickups, but I don't think I've ever seen one.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

I know they make traditional spaced bridge pickups, but I don't think I've ever seen one.
here you go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200722_204957.jpg (3.37 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20200722_205039.jpg (3.33 MB, 5 views)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Is it possible to make positions 2 and 4 hum canceling with 3 Humbuckers?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 02:37 PM

Maybe. But you would need a super switch and probably a diagram from like a 3 pickup sg or something.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Maybe. But you would need a super switch and probably a diagram from like a 3 pickup sg or something.
Hmmm would it even make a difference?
I mean the Norton S is already a humbucker. ehhh how does Steve Vai have 3 humbuckers and still has all of them hum canceling?

Or maybe I should just upgrade to a normal CRL switch and forget about it?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 03:14 PM

Couldn't really tell you there lol.

All his guitars are super modded out of the factory.

The middle pickup in any position would always be hum cancelled i think.

That may be helping in that end.

Tags
ibanez-dimarzio-evolution

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode