Ibanez RGA121 - Help with choosing replacement pickups. - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez RGA121 - Help with choosing replacement pickups.

Hey all, decided since I signed up a while back now would be a good time to make my own thread.

I'm currently looking to replace the standard V7/V8 pickups in my RGA121 as I'm wanting a more chunky palm muted sound that isn't muddy and to retain some good clarity/note definition.

I've been browsing various threads on here for help but haven't really found much. I am looking at getting some passive pickups and Seymour Duncan seem to have a number of choices within my price range (hoping to spend less than 130 ideally, but could stretch to 150 if an epic pickup combo can be had).

First off, I mostly play metal along the lines of Metallica, Megadeth, Trivium, Annihilator and some metalcore styles like As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage and even some rock.

My amp is a Peavey Valveking 112 with a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker with simple mods to boost the treble range.

Can anyone help me decide what high output pickups would suit my playing style or tone needs? So far I quite like the looks of the Seymour Duncan SH-6 for the bridge pickup but have no idea when it comes to choosing a matching neck pickup to balance the volume differences. I know there is a SH-6 neck variant but I'm sure out of all the different pickups out there something would be better suited to give me a nice warm and crisp clean tone too.

Also does anyone know of any good Dimarzio pickups for this guitar? I have looked at the X2N but fear it may be too high output and sound bad.

I'd very much appreciate some advice as I'm clueless being honest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ibanez rga121 , metal tone , pickup replacement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode