Ibanez RT HSH wiring help with pictures - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By CoolHat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez RT HSH wiring help with pictures

I recently had to buy a new wiring harness for my RT 150. As a beginner I would very very much appreciate it if someone would be kind enough to guide me through exactly what I have to do. I would like to circumvent any professional repair costs. Thank you very much!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 70CAEABE-3964-4BE2-8ECC-6E43EDA5B626_1553920641918.jpeg (1.47 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpeg 788792E1-0D37-438D-A825-123BEF912149_1553920648039.jpeg (1.39 MB, 13 views)

Last edited by CoolHat; 03-30-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:09 PM

Re: Ibanez RT HSH wiring help with pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHat View Post
I recently had to buy a new wiring harness for my RT 150. As a beginner I would very very much appreciate it if someone would be kind enough to guide me through exactly what I have to do. I would like circumvent any professional repair costs. Thank you very much!
it looks like you have a standard 5 way switch. I assume you want to a do standard stock style wiring. if that is the case it is pretty straightforward. let me know and i can get you a diagram.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Yes just a stock 5 way. Thank you
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

I also forgot that is a bourns push pull pot, does the wiring need to be andy different in order to use that feature?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
I also forgot that is a bourns push pull pot, does the wiring need to be andy different in order to use that feature?
it doesn't change it too much, do you want the single push/pull pot to split both pickups at the same time, do just neck, or do just bridge ?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=j.arledge;1539841]
Quote:
I also forgot that is a bourns
it doesn't change it too much, do you want the single push/pull pot to split both pickups at the same time, do just neck, or do just bridge ?
I’m really not too sure and hopefully this is something I’ll be comfortable changing if I don’t like it but I’ll just do a simple bridge pickup split for now.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:07 PM

ok this should be what you need. I just modded a single coil diagram, but it works the same way. If you want to split the neck pickup as well as the bridge you can take the white wire from the neck pickup and solder it on the opposite side of the bridge pickup. You can then jump the ground across to the other side.

I am almost certain that the pickups you have the red wire is hot and the white is the coil tap. You can make sure that is the case by taking a multi-meter and measuring DC resistance. You would just take one lead from the multi-meter and connect it to the red wire, and one lead to the bare wire. Then take one lead and hook it up to the white wire and keep the other on the bare wire. Whichever DC resistance is higher is your hot wire, the one that is lower will be your coil tap wire.

having a multi-meter is pretty handy, and they are pretty cheap so if you don't have one I'd recommend getting one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring diagram.jpg (21.1 KB, 25 views)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:17 PM

the green ground wire that is coming off of the push/pull switch will connected to the right side terminal closest to the volume pot. The coil tap will connect to the middle terminal on the right side.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
the green ground wire that is coming off of the push/pull switch will connected to the right side terminal closest to the volume pot. The coil tap will connect to the middle terminal on the right side.
This means a lot thank you very much I appreciate it. The red is hot just checked. I’ll keep you updated throughout the process if I need help. Also there is a seemingly random black wire that comes out of a hole from underneath the pickups cavity that I have no idea where it connected originally if you have any idea what that could be.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
This means a lot thank you very much I appreciate it. The red is hot just checked. I’ll keep you updated throughout the process if I need help. Also there is a seemingly random black wire that comes out of a hole from underneath the pickups cavity that I have no idea where it connected originally if you have any idea what that could be.

This would be a ground wire going to the tremolo spring claw. Usually it is soldered to the back of the volume pot where there are other ground wires... like from the ground lug of the output jack, etc.

Good luck!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Hey man everything worked out great. I really appreciate the help!

Cheers!
FireEagle likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Hey man everything worked out great. I really appreciate the help!

Cheers!

awesome, glad to hear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode