Ibanez V7 neck pickup muddiness - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez V7 neck pickup muddiness

I bought an RG1550MZ PBL last year and the stock pups are v7(N)-s1(M)-v8(B). I was playing around with the neck pup earlier this week and found the V7 to be incredibly muddy sounding. I wonder if it's because I've got it in Eb tuning (Using D'Adarrio EXL-110 strings) but thats not going to change until I get my next guitar (I'm switching it back to standard E then).

Here are some questions regarding this situation:

1. Is the V7 naturally this muddy?

2. Is this because the pups themselves are not geared towards Eb tuning? <-I'm not sure this is an issue because many people have probably done this and some people like it

3. Could it possibly be my amp/effects settings are not getting the natural sound of the pups out correctly so it sounds muddy?

4.Could it possibly be the string tension is not strong enough?

I dont have any problems with the V8, and I actually like the sound of the V8 but the V7 just sounds too muddy compared to the V8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 10:43 AM

Smile Re: Ibanez V7 neck pickup muddiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
I bought an RG1550MZ PBL last year and the stock pups are v7(N)-s1(M)-v8(B). I was playing around with the neck pup earlier this week and found the V7 to be incredibly muddy sounding. I wonder if it's because I've got it in Eb tuning (Using D'Adarrio EXL-110 strings) but thats not going to change until I get my next guitar (I'm switching it back to standard E then).

Here are some questions regarding this situation:

1. Is the V7 naturally this muddy?

2. Is this because the pups themselves are not geared towards Eb tuning? <-I'm not sure this is an issue because many people have probably done this and some people like it

3. Could it possibly be my amp/effects settings are not getting the natural sound of the pups out correctly so it sounds muddy?

4.Could it possibly be the string tension is not strong enough?

I dont have any problems with the V8, and I actually like the sound of the V8 but the V7 just sounds too muddy compared to the V8.

1. I felt the same way when i bought my rgr420ex, so you are not imagining. They are indeed muddy. (get dimarzio dominions!)

Side note, i also hate the INF pickups that come with ibanez guitars. They arent muddy but they are weak.

2. They sound muddy even with standard. i tried changing the height, the strings, everything. They are just muddy crap! xD Maybe eq can help with that. (again just get dominions! they are very tight and fat sounding)

3. Regarding muddiness. (see 1 and 2) Dont use reverb with distortion, it makes the distortion more messy than it already is. If you do use it( for leads or clean) put it after delay and reverb. Also turn the gain down. dont know how long you have been playing for.

But many first year guitarists like to turn up the gain more than necessary.

4. It could be the string tension. What gauge are you using for Eb?

But all in all try changing the pickup height.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Re: Ibanez V7 neck pickup muddiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonforce1080p View Post
1. I felt the same way when i bought my rgr420ex, so you are not imagining. They are indeed muddy. (get dimarzio dominions!)

Side note, i also hate the INF pickups that come with ibanez guitars. They arent muddy but they are weak.

2. They sound muddy even with standard. i tried changing the height, the strings, everything. They are just muddy crap! xD Maybe eq can help with that. (again just get dominions! they are very tight and fat sounding)

3. Regarding muddiness. (see 1 and 2) Dont use reverb with distortion, it makes the distortion more messy than it already is. If you do use it( for leads or clean) put it after delay and reverb. Also turn the gain down. dont know how long you have been playing for.

But many first year guitarists like to turn up the gain more than necessary.

4. It could be the string tension. What gauge are you using for Eb?

But all in all try changing the pickup height.
Thanks for the reply

I'm into my second year of guitar.

I like cleaner distortion sounds, each pluck of the strings can be heard clearly, even with some distortion or OD going. The only effects I really use are Noise gate (to clear out some of the hum), SOME distortion (not insanely high Dis, just enough to make it sound heavy) and an analog chorus (all through my line 6 m13 right now, going to run my Turbo Tube screamer thru the L6 tomorrow and just use my amp on crunch with TS9 and noise gate). I havent really messed with delays or reverb, and I dont really think I need any reverb when I want my sound to be clean. I like the sound Timo tolkki (ex-stratovarius) gets from his ESP m-II and I know my ibbys can do it.

String gauge is (from low E).046/.036/.026/.017/.013/.010 (D'addario EXL-110 strings)
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Oh and I understand the INF weakness. I felt they were so weak playing when I played with my friend who has the RG1XXV Yellow and got depressed so I changed the INFs in my RG350EXZ to all Evos lol Now my guitar pwns his at a far lower cost lol
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 12:30 PM

Check out the V7/V8 magnet swap that's been documented online. Think there's a few posts on here about it too. You simply swap the magnets around so the V8 has the V7 magnet, and vice versa. It's said to be a huge noticable improvement for both pickups.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 05:20 PM

Reviews: 120

I was just about to mention that.

I did some testing with the V7/8 pickups a while back to see if swapping the magnets would make much better pickups for free. It worked! Check out the DIY section in my blog. It's an easy thing to do, just take your time and you'll be fine. Just need some screw drivers basically. A reader also put up an animated gif to show you the right way to flip them first go.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
I was just about to mention that.

I did some testing with the V7/8 pickups a while back to see if swapping the magnets would make much better pickups for free. It worked! Check out the DIY section in my blog. It's an easy thing to do, just take your time and you'll be fine. Just need some screw drivers basically. A reader also put up an animated gif to show you the right way to flip them first go.
I finally got to listen to the sounds on your page. The V8, with the alnico 3 is amazing, but when i listened to the V7 I was a little disappointed (even with just the swapped magnet sound). It still sounds really bad imo. I'm thinking maybe I should just swap out the pups, put an alnico 3 magnet into the V8 and use it later, but use some better pickups overall.

Do you have any recommendations for pups that have a nice clean sound but can handle some decent distortion as well? The ibby is RG1550MZ, basswood body, 5 piece maple/walnut prestige neck, maple fretboard. I want this guitar to be my clean telecaster kinda twangy sounding guitar so any pup suggestions (preferrably dimarzio if possible but not a requirement) would be helpful
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 03:29 AM

Reviews: 120

PAF Pro
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 06:00 AM

Talking Re: Ibanez V7 neck pickup muddiness

Quote:
I finally got to listen to the sounds on your page. The V8, with the alnico 3 is amazing, but when i listened to the V7 I was a little disappointed (even with just the swapped magnet sound). It still sounds really bad imo. I'm thinking maybe I should just swap out the pups, put an alnico 3 magnet into the V8 and use it later, but use some better pickups overall.

Do you have any recommendations for pups that have a nice clean sound but can handle some decent distortion as well? The ibby is RG1550MZ, basswood body, 5 piece maple/walnut prestige neck, maple fretboard. I want this guitar to be my clean telecaster kinda twangy sounding guitar so any pup suggestions (preferrably dimarzio if possible but not a requirement) would be helpful
Again, dimarzio dominions, they are so tight and fat sounding distorted and very nice cleans. Trust me!
Solid body wood isnt important. Its a bs myth. The PUs are potted. Wood tone changes the sound of an unplugged guitar. But once plugged in that is all moot. Dont listen to those parrots who just say what they hear on the net.

Things that change the tone drastically are: pickups, pickup height, the bridge, the string types(steel, nickle, coated, etc.), the pick (hardness, thickness), and finally and most importantly the amp.

Get the dominions!! Or gravity storms. The oversized pole pieces are a nice touch on both pups.

Last edited by Dragonforce1080p; 03-11-2013 at 06:08 AM.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
ADont listen to those parrots who just say what they hear on the net.

I hear ya man, they keep repeating that bs but in fact they don't even tune their guitars properly

Curupaco, acrylic guitars sound like.........acrylic curupaco
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
PAF Pro
The PAF pro would go in the bridge? What would I use for the other Humbucker and the single coil for a good balanced sound?
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Again, dimarzio dominions, they are so tight and fat sounding distorted and very nice cleans. Trust me!
Solid body wood isnt important. Its a bs myth. The PUs are potted. Wood tone changes the sound of an unplugged guitar. But once plugged in that is all moot. Dont listen to those parrots who just say what they hear on the net.

Things that change the tone drastically are: pickups, pickup height, the bridge, the string types(steel, nickle, coated, etc.), the pick (hardness, thickness), and finally and most importantly the amp.

Get the dominions!! Or gravity storms. The oversized pole pieces are a nice touch on both pups.
But even if i were to get the GS or the Dominions, what would be a good single coil to sit in the middle? the Gravity storms work with the single coil Evo, and considering I already have a steve vai setup (RG350EXZ with 3 Evos, bridge is evo, not evo2) I'm trying to avoid going with the Storms. I was on youtube listening to the dominions, but I didnt notice any vids of them on clean.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 AM

GS sound way diff than the evos. Almost a single coil mid fenderish sound. Il record some samples for you in about 30 mins. Still at work. Same pick, strings, height and bridge. They do single pretty good. (My evo is neck).Dom on bridge and evo on neck is a pretty nice combo. On the other guitar its 2 Gravity storms and middle is stock inf which id just fine imo. Do you have GS already??
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
GS sound way diff than the evos. Almost a single coil mid fenderish sound. Il record some samples for you in about 30 mins. Still at work. Same pick, strings, height and bridge. They do single pretty good. (My evo is neck).Dom on bridge and evo on neck is a pretty nice combo. On the other guitar its 2 Gravity storms and middle is stock inf which id just fine imo. Do you have GS already??
You think stock S1 would be okay with the GS? I worry about what single coil would work with them well, outside of the Evo. I dont have GS yet, but I'm sure I could order em. If I bought GS, I'd probably do blue ones because it would contrast well with the black pickguard and blue color on my 1550.

My RG350exz has Evos in all positions. I lowered the middle single so I could see how it changed my picking style and the sound differences.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 AM

Thumbs up Re: Ibanez V7 neck pickup muddiness

Quote:
You think stock S1 would be okay with the GS? I worry about what single coil would work with them well, outside of the Evo. I dont have GS yet, but I'm sure I could order em. If I bought GS, I'd probably do blue ones because it would contrast well with the black pickguard and blue color on my 1550.

My RG350exz has Evos in all positions. I lowered the middle single so I could see how it changed my picking style and the sound differences.
Here is the samples, its mirrors from BTBAM: (sorry for mistakes!) Dont forget to set to 720p and crank the volume lol.

1st : GS Neck
2nd : GS Bridge
3rd : GS bridge split + mid INF
4th: all 3 single (inner split)
5th: GS split neck+middle

6th: Dominion Bridge
7th: Dominion inner coil + Evo neck inner coil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAg1cZ5h9fw

Strings used elixir 11s, .73mm ultex sharp pick, 1/4" distance from strings, tremelo bridges.

BTW if you want to hear the dominions and GS in context with bass synth and drums check out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyp55qMyw1g its my friend and i covering white walls. Middle section is clean part. 5:15. Everything else is dominions distorted bridge, Ending solo is GS neck with distortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
I hear ya man, they keep repeating that bs but in fact they don't even tune their guitars properly

Curupaco, acrylic guitars sound like.........acrylic curupaco
BTW omfg that thing is ugly. lol its ok i dont need sleep.

Last edited by Dragonforce1080p; 03-11-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode