Ibanez V7 wire colours - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez V7 wire colours

Hi, i was wondering if any of you know which wire does what on an Ibanez V7 pickup. There are red,white and bare. I know that the bare is ground.
I'm trying to install it as an upgrade in a friends beginner guitar. I'm just wanting it in series, no coil taps/parallel. And wasn't sure whether to solder both the red and white or just one, and if so which?
Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 04:07 PM

Re: Ibanez V7 wire colours

Have a look here:

http://www.ibanez.com/wiring/wire.asp?y=1994&w=RG570

I'm pretty sure it's the red one.

If you have a multimeter handy, you can test for the resistance from red to ground and white to ground. The one with the largest resistance is the wire for full humbucker mode. The other is for one of the single coils. And going between white and red is the other single coil.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Okay, i have it wired in however i'm now having buzzing issues which i think may have to do with grounding. It buzzes on every pickup selection, moreso when facing/near the amplifier. Could it be to do with the wiring?
I've tried:
red & white to switch, bare to ground
red to switch, bare & white to ground
red to switch, white taped off, bare to ground
and buzzing has occured with all of the pickup selections, could it be something else?
I have soldered the ground at the bridge and all the connections that were there before are still present and it didn't buzz before.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 05:22 PM

Re: Ibanez V7 wire colours

From my limited experience I noticed when the V7 has only two wires (I've seen both two wires and four wires) one wire is series and one is a single coil.

Each wire should go to the switch then.

Last edited by old_metal_head; 04-18-2005 at 05:42 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Okay, i finally figured out what was causing the buzzing, it was a bit of a silly mistake on my part but it'll ensure i won't make the same mistake again. What it was is that the V7 is a neck pickup and i was installing it in the bridge, therefore i had to turn the pickup round to reverse the polarity.
I've given it a quick hum check and tapped on the pickups to make sure the correct pickups/coils are working and everything seems to be alright now.
Just gotta screw it all together and string it up.
Cheers for your help.

Tags
coil tap , neck pickup , pickup selection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode