IBZ USA F series pups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

IBZ USA F series pups

How are these pups compared to the Ibanez V1/V2? What kind of sound do they have when compared to other types of pickups, i.e. little meatier than PAF pro, weaker version of evo 2, etc. I have found some on yahoo japan auctions and am quite curious about them before I consider purchasing them so any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 12:26 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: IBZ USA F series pups

They are generally killer pickups. do a search here, plenty of info.
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
They are generally killer pickups. do a search here, plenty of info.
Wow people rave on the F2. I wanna get one Is it better combined with the f1 or the f3 in the neck?

Also, one of the threads I found said that Dimarzio will still custom make them for people, is that still true as far as you know?
post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 09:50 AM

Yes, you can still order them directly from DiMarzio, but you will pay close to double what you'd pay for a stock pickup.

The F3 is a bridge pickup and is very aggressive sounding. I've not heard an F1 yet, but my understanding is that it's more of a vintage-sounding pickup. For more of the classic 80's sound, you should consider an F4 in the neck.

Despite what people say, the F2 and Tone Zone aren't that similar. I see where they get that, but it would be misleading to say that they're the same. The F2 is a unique and excellent pickup.
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Yes, you can still order them directly from DiMarzio, but you will pay close to double what you'd pay for a stock pickup.

The F3 is a bridge pickup and is very aggressive sounding. I've not heard an F1 yet, but my understanding is that it's more of a vintage-sounding pickup. For more of the classic 80's sound, you should consider an F4 in the neck.

Despite what people say, the F2 and Tone Zone aren't that similar. I see where they get that, but it would be misleading to say that they're the same. The F2 is a unique and excellent pickup.
F1/F2 sounds more like what I'm looking for. Not so much "vintage" but something a little more toned down that I can make go crazy with effects. I mostly sit on bridge humbuckers and dont go into neck territory very often but I want to have the perfect balance. Would the F1/F2 setup work well for that sort of style? I dont go real crazy with effects, just standard OD, Analog chorus, tape echo (all in my line 6) but sometimes the V1/V2 dont have everything I want, especially in cleaner tones with less gain.

I've played tone zone/air norton before and I really like that sound as well. However, I want something "special" for my 550. Something different, you could say.

EDIT:

How would you describe the F4?
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 01:30 PM

Reviews: 1

I couldn't find the post but another member got this info directly from Dimarzio:

C2 - similar to HS-2 (DP116)
C3 - no equivalent closest model is Blue Velvet Bridge (DP171)
F1 - no equivalent closest model is Breed Bridge (DP166)
F2 - no equivalent closest model is Tone Zone (DP155)
F3 - no equivalent closest model is Super 3 (DP152)
F4 - no equivalent closest model is PAF (DP103)
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 04:11 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:

I'm going to agree with this entire post.^^^

The F1 is WAY too hot for the neck position. You really want an F4. The F4 is very similar to a PAF Pro, but a little hotter. The mids seem to be slightly scooped as well. It sounds amazing when split (tapped)

Jesse is also right about the comparison between a TZ and the F2. The F2 is hotter, has tighter low-end, and more high-mid bite than the TZ. Most F2's sound slightly different from one another, but they're pretty consistent with my description.

FWIW, DiMarzio will make any of these pups with any of their standard options-- F or standard spacing, choice of color, choice of pole color....etc. As Jesse said, be prepared to pay through the nose for them.
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 06:38 PM

The F2 and TZ are more similar than people realise. Swap the magnets around and you'll hear it. try socket head cap screws in the TZ, put in a ceramic magnet, and you get pretty close to the F2. By the same token, put an alnico 5 magnet in the F2 and you'll hear the Tone Zone sound there. I did a bunch of testing a couple years back with both these pickups and reported it on my blog.
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I'm going to agree with this entire post.^^^

The F1 is WAY too hot for the neck position. You really want an F4. The F4 is very similar to a PAF Pro, but a little hotter. The mids seem to be slightly scooped as well. It sounds amazing when split (tapped)

Jesse is also right about the comparison between a TZ and the F2. The F2 is hotter, has tighter low-end, and more high-mid bite than the TZ. Most F2's sound slightly different from one another, but they're pretty consistent with my description.

FWIW, DiMarzio will make any of these pups with any of their standard options-- F or standard spacing, choice of color, choice of pole color....etc. As Jesse said, be prepared to pay through the nose for them.
The F4 sounds like the perfect neck pickup for me. I was actually looking for a pup that was like a PAF pro in terms of medium output and very "standard" but a little bit more punch.

LonePhantom:

If the TZ and F2 are THAT similar, I might as well get a TZ, eh? Mayeb a PAF pro/TZ or an F4/TZ? I found a used F2 and F4 on yahoo japan auctions but I'm a little scared about used pickups. Are they really as hit and miss as I worry they are?
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
The F4 sounds like the perfect neck pickup for me. I was actually looking for a pup that was like a PAF pro in terms of medium output and very "standard" but a little bit more punch.

LonePhantom:

If the TZ and F2 are THAT similar, I might as well get a TZ, eh? Mayeb a PAF pro/TZ or an F4/TZ? I found a used F2 and F4 on yahoo japan auctions but I'm a little scared about used pickups. Are they really as hit and miss as I worry they are?
I've NEVER gotten a bad used pup.

The TZ will work fine in place of an F2 if you do the mods LP suggested.... otherwise it's a TZ and not an F2......

........ but you KNOW you want to experience an F2-F4 combo for yourself!!!!
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I've NEVER gotten a bad used pup.

The TZ will work fine in place of an F2 if you do the mods LP suggested.... otherwise it's a TZ and not an F2......

........ but you KNOW you want to experience an F2-F4 combo for yourself!!!!
I do wanna experience it... In my candy apple 550
post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
The F1 is WAY too hot for the neck position
Huh. That's not how Ibanez describes the pickup at all.

I have an F1 sitting around waiting to go into the neck position on my STW.

Perhaps the F2 could sound like a Tone Zone with some magnet swaps, but as is, I don't think they sound similar. The F2 sounds much tighter and way less harsh to me, plus the harmonics are insane. I really like the F2 when I play the guitar alone, but I find that when playing with other people, it can have issues cutting through the mix. I find that I tend to prefer the PAF Pro, which isn't quite as good for rhythm stuff but has more presence and cuts through the mix better.
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 12:39 AM

If you want to try out an F2 I have an old beat up, but working one at home. PM if you are interested and maybe we can work something out. It's the one I used for my testing.
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Huh. That's not how Ibanez describes the pickup at all.

I have an F1 sitting around waiting to go into the neck position on my STW.

Perhaps the F2 could sound like a Tone Zone with some magnet swaps, but as is, I don't think they sound similar. The F2 sounds much tighter and way less harsh to me, plus the harmonics are insane. I really like the F2 when I play the guitar alone, but I find that when playing with other people, it can have issues cutting through the mix. I find that I tend to prefer the PAF Pro, which isn't quite as good for rhythm stuff but has more presence and cuts through the mix better.

I've read that many times...... I don't get it. I used an F1-TZS-F2 combo in the 770 I bought from you. It was impossible to balance and got very muddy when playing open chords in solos. I think it would be a great bridge pup, but I've not tried it yet............

You shouldn't have trouble cutting through with an F2 unless maybe there's something wrong with it? Of course it could just be the variability I mentioned earlier. I did order a set through DiMarzio, maybe a new one would be worth giving a go?
post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

After going through LPs site and finding samples of the stock F2 sound, that pup is EXACTLY what i need in a bridge pup. Its got punch but not overwhelming like Evos, and it's perfect for rhythm (which is what I'm focused on right now). That pup is absolutely amazing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode