Ibanez JEM Forum banner

IBZ USA F series pups

20K views 87 replies 8 participants last post by  MatiasTolkki 
#1 ·
How are these pups compared to the Ibanez V1/V2? What kind of sound do they have when compared to other types of pickups, i.e. little meatier than PAF pro, weaker version of evo 2, etc. I have found some on yahoo japan auctions and am quite curious about them before I consider purchasing them so any help would be greatly appreciated :D

#4 ·
Yes, you can still order them directly from DiMarzio, but you will pay close to double what you'd pay for a stock pickup.

The F3 is a bridge pickup and is very aggressive sounding. I've not heard an F1 yet, but my understanding is that it's more of a vintage-sounding pickup. For more of the classic 80's sound, you should consider an F4 in the neck.

Despite what people say, the F2 and Tone Zone aren't that similar. I see where they get that, but it would be misleading to say that they're the same. The F2 is a unique and excellent pickup.

#5 ·
F1/F2 sounds more like what I'm looking for. Not so much "vintage" but something a little more toned down that I can make go crazy with effects. I mostly sit on bridge humbuckers and dont go into neck territory very often but I want to have the perfect balance. Would the F1/F2 setup work well for that sort of style? I dont go real crazy with effects, just standard OD, Analog chorus, tape echo (all in my line 6) but sometimes the V1/V2 dont have everything I want, especially in cleaner tones with less gain.

I've played tone zone/air norton before and I really like that sound as well. However, I want something "special" for my 550. Something different, you could say.

EDIT:

How would you describe the F4?

#6 ·
I couldn't find the post but another member got this info directly from Dimarzio:

C2 - similar to HS-2 (DP116)
C3 - no equivalent closest model is Blue Velvet Bridge (DP171)
F1 - no equivalent closest model is Breed Bridge (DP166)
F2 - no equivalent closest model is Tone Zone (DP155)
F3 - no equivalent closest model is Super 3 (DP152)
F4 - no equivalent closest model is PAF (DP103)

#8 ·
The F2 and TZ are more similar than people realise. Swap the magnets around and you'll hear it. try socket head cap screws in the TZ, put in a ceramic magnet, and you get pretty close to the F2. By the same token, put an alnico 5 magnet in the F2 and you'll hear the Tone Zone sound there. I did a bunch of testing a couple years back with both these pickups and reported it on my blog.

#15 ·
After going through LPs site and finding samples of the stock F2 sound, that pup is EXACTLY what i need in a bridge pup. Its got punch but not overwhelming like Evos, and it's perfect for rhythm (which is what I'm focused on right now). That pup is absolutely amazing.

#22 ·
Sure, I could probably play with EQ settings all day and maybe get back to the sound I want, but if that were the ideal way to do things, pickup companies wouldn't make dozens of models of pickups.

Explaining that the PAF Pro has more presence than the F2 is also a totally simplified explanation of the difference in sounds between the two.

#28 ·
The A, D, and G strings sound great. In fact that's what I think is the total money spot of the F2. It's the B and E which lack presence in a mix.

I really don't think there's anything wrong with the pickup or setup. If the F2 is truly similar to the Tone Zone, which everyone seems to accept, then it should have boosted mids and lows, which is totally consistent with what I'm hearing. I still don't think it sounds exactly like a Tone Zone, but that might be due to the different magnets.

#39 ·
I love all these pickups. Have a number stashed for future use including a red and blue set from 700dx's and black F2s, F1s and 1 F4. The C2 is the best, in my opinion, of the singles. Not only does it sound good as a single with singing cleans, it is a stacked single which eliminates the hum from your typical Fender style single. Great pickup.

#42 ·
I've got a IBZ/USA single that was a precursor to the C2, so stacked single, similar resistance, etc. It is a great sounding single coil for the middle position on a H-S-H guitar. Great for cleans and split with the bridge or neck. Had it in my RG 20th RFR before I sold it. Sitting in the parts cupboard now.

#47 ·
I'll keep my eye out for one, but being that vintage ibby stuff isnt that easy to come by, I dont have alot of hope in finding one :( That's why I was looking into something that was close to it, only because if I dont find it, I'll want to get something to match up with it. I have this weird feeling that the S1 is gonna suck with them.

#49 ·
Well the shop put in the F4/F2 for me. F2 works fine but they couldnt get it to stay with the typical Ibanez position 2 style (inside humbucker coil tapped with middle single) so it's full humbucker + middle single in the 2nd position (which is pretty cool actually something different to play with :D ).

However, the F4 seems to have an electrical problem where the sound comes out at times and doesnt come out at other times. I contacted the person who put it up for auction and see if i get a reponse.

Any ideas as to why the pup sometimes shorts out? After the pup comes back I will use LP's guide to opening a pup and take some pics but if there are any ideas please let me know :/

#51 ·
Well this place is a place I've been using for a long time. They installed my Gravity storms in my 1550 without any trouble (i ordered the GS from them as well). Never had an issue... Maybe I can take them to the place I have my guitar lesson at and have them do it. Cost me extra money to do it but meh.

I think the issue with the IBZs is that they've never seen them before I think. But that doesn't make any sense, they are dimarzio made and Dimarzio pups are all designed the same way.

#52 ·
They use the exact same wiring diagram as DiMarzio branded pickups. Take the guitar back and get them to fix it up. There's probably a bad solder joint on the F4, and to get both pickups splitting, just like standard DiMarzios, connect the black and white together to go to the split positions on the pickup selector.

#55 ·
Sweet. Thanks.

Outside of the solder joint, are there any other possible problems that would cause the pup to cut in and out?

BTW, the guitar is still in the shop so I just need to call them and tell them what to do. I just called and the guy doing my pup change is off today so I gotta call again tomorrow.

#56 ·
Got the update on the F4:

It seems that the solder joint is fine, according to him, it's a problem with the lead somewhere further up the pup. Most people just replace pups if something happens so I'm having him open up the pup and fix the lead. If that's the problem and he can fix it, I'll have my F4/F2 setup finished in no time! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.