IBZ USA F2 Q`s??? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

IBZ USA F2 Q`s???

So I got my old RG750 back, it`s been gone for ten years.

I need to know how the pickups are supose to be wired. I know DiMarzio have the black and white together, the red is hot and green and bare go to ground.

It was wired red and green together, white was hot and black and bare to grd.

1- Should it be wired same as a DiMarzio?

2- Also can I coil split it?

3- could it be wired like this? Ignore colours and I am not using a single coil. http://www.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams

4- And finaly, do all five position blade switches have the same wire designation? I have a VLX53, and want to use two F2`s

Thank you!!!

Chops

Last edited by chopstix21; 03-07-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:32 PM

Re: IBZ USA F2 Q`s???

1- Wires are the same as Dimarzio. The way it was wired, though, is one of the 4 correct ways to wire it in series. In a single pickup situation, it doesn't matter which one you choose. When you start combining it with other pickups and splitting coils is when you need to know the best way for your situation (hum-canceling, phasing issues).

2- Yes, you can.

3- Link doesn't work, find the diagram here:
http://www.dimarzio.com/support/wiring-diagrams
and post that link.

4- No, they do not. 2 pickup guitars come with the 2502N switch. You can still use yours to wire up 2 pickups, but your options get a little limited.

EDIT:

Check this out:
http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul.../RG220Mod2.pdf

Or you can follow this, just leave out the middle pickup:
http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul...RG1570mod4.pdf
You'll have full humbuckers in 1st and 5th and each split by themselves in 2nd and 4th.
Theoretically, the 3rd position on the switch should kill the sound. You might still have sound, though .

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 03-07-2012 at 01:04 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Awesome thank you!

Now for #4 I cant find any information, pinouts or schematics using the VLX 53, wondering what options I could have with this 5 position. As long as I have some sort of selecting option.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 01:03 PM

Here's how the switch works:
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Funny how you said to use switch number 2502 n, I was going to wire it like my RGT42DXFM was! It had a 2502 w tho. I dont understang the above picture as far as wiring goes but thanks! Not too good at this kind of stuff in heavy detail.

Thanks!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Ok so if I cant coil split with a VLX53 can I use a VLX91? Just looking for easier to get options...
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 12:00 AM

If you can imagine it, it's probably possible with the VLX91.

Ibanez, generally, does it this way:

I've never had any use for that middle position, though. I much prefer how the new RG3521 is wired:

If you don't like either of those, let me know what you want. I should be able to tell you if it's possible. Also, if you like one of the setups above, but wanted them in a different order, that's possible. You can put the full bridge and full neck next to each other to make it easier to switch between rhythm and lead, for example.

On a side note, you can also go the mini switch route. I replaced my my blade switch with 4 mini switches. The top two coil tap each pickup, the 3rd one selects which pickup is active (neck, neck & bridge, bridge), and the 4th one is a killswitch. That's also a momentary kill "button" where the tone knob was. If you buy DPDT ON-ON-ON mini switches, you can have Series-Split-Parallel for each pickup.

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 03-08-2012 at 12:12 AM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

First of all, nice swirl "nice RG" What is it? I am currently converting a 98` RG270 to a hard tale with Tune O Matic, it`s coming along very well. I`ll be swirling it in the next couple of weeks. Not sure what colours yet.

As far as the RG750 wiring, I just want to get all five positions to do something, I need bridge and neck for sure, I like the top bridge and bottom neck positions and any other variations would be cool.

I really appreciate the help!!! And did you swirl that???
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:22 AM

Reviews: 2

This diagram will get the following switching:

1. Bridge hum
2. Bridge split
3. Bridge and Neck split together
4. Neck split
5. Neck hum

I'm not sure your VLX53 switch works with this, but I think it does. Otherwise a YM-50 switch will.

You'll want to join black with white and green with bare in this diagram.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 09:02 AM

Thanks, it's an '06 RG350. I did swirl it myself, it was a pain in the ass . More pics here. I can post some pics of practice boards to give you some different color ideas.

@RGT the switch in that diagram is the same as a 2502N. SC and 2502N are the same thing for future reference. It won't work for him. VLX53 and YM-50 are the same, though, your standard switch.

I suggest following this diagram and see how it sounds. The wires should be coming out of the same side of each pickup. Let me know if that makes the pickup look upside down from the front (IBZ USA F2 is upside down). I can let you know what wires to switch around if you need to flip the pickup.

Good luck with the 270. Hopefully you only have to dip it once .
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

I like that diagram^ I`ll print it and order a switch, what switch should I get? Or 2502N? I can get either. My RG750 will be like your 350 with the hole in the middle position, I like it! That`s how I had it ten years ago, I got the guitar back last week with a Kent Armstrong single coil in it... It still had the Hooker Headers sticker in the back of it, I put that on there when I was about 15 years old!

I already dipped once, it turned out ok but I wasn`t happy with the colours, it looked too much like my UV77MC. I think I might do a two colour, not sure yet... I really like yours, and the rg350 pickguard looks sweet on it! Cant wait to dip again, it`s fun. You can try on all the test peices you want but nothing is better than just doing a guitar. I ordered a whole bunch more Humbrol paints, should be in next week. Cant wait to try this TOM RG!!!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 12:26 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLinkageXx View Post
@RGT the switch in that diagram is the same as a 2502N. SC and 2502N are the same thing for future reference. It won't work for him. VLX53 and YM-50 are the same, though, your standard switch
Thanks for the info link.....NOTED!!!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

What if a person would buy 4 on off switches and just ground each coil and run power thru each individual switch? That way you can turn on whatever coils you want. Sorry maybe dumb questions.

What 5 blade switches would I use for the above schematics?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Well that wouldn`t work cause I guess with four switches i would be losing the option of runing a humbucker in series.

I imagine a humbucker sounds different in serries than the two coils of one humbucker on individually. Man guitar wirring is a bit confusing. I`m going to study my stuff...

Finally understang a standard 5 pos. blade switch...
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstix21 View Post
Man guitar wirring is a bit confusing. I`m going to study my stuff...

Finally understang a standard 5 pos. blade switch...
It gets easier. If you're really interested, just about everything you'd ever have to know is in these 2 links:
http://www.1728.org/guitar.htm
http://www.1728.org/guitar1b.htm

You can test yourself with this guitar that has 72 switching options, that's right 72, not a typo:
http://www.1728.org/guitar6.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstix21 View Post
Well that wouldn`t work cause I guess with four switches i would be losing the option of runing a humbucker in series.

I imagine a humbucker sounds different in serries than the two coils of one humbucker on individually.
It's good you noticed that, means you're on your way to really understanding how all this stuff works. Instead of in series, they would be parallel to each other. You'd also probably run into phasing problems if you did it that way.

As far as what switch to use. If you use the diagram I posted above, use the VLX53.

I would get the 2502N, since you can. You'll be much happier in the end. And use this diagram, it's the same as the one RGT posted but should clear up any confusion.

And zoomed in:

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 03-09-2012 at 01:41 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode