Ideal pickup configuration - older 3120 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Ideal pickup configuration - older 3120

Hi folks, I am looking for some advice.

I use a mesa boogie dual rec and my band plays metal. Guitar sound I am looking for is a big fat sound, I am the lone guitarist so I am willing to sacrifice lead tone for a big fat rhythm tone.

I currently have a Iceman 300 with a emg 85 in the bridge with a active pot (altho I am not sure what pot it is because it came with the guitar which I bought on evilbay). This iceman has basswood and it sounds very mean, the guys in the band love the sound of this setup, and it puts my Jap made Jackson Rhoads (with emg 81 bridge - popular body, neck through) to shame. If you go to myspace/genocidemx you can hear mp3s of our band, I used the dual rec/iceman for 99.9% of the guitars (minus one part that required a bar).

I am wanting to get a Ibanez RG and most likely going with a older 2002 3120RG. This guitar has Mahgony body and comes with a tone zone in neck and paf pro in the bridge. The place which I am am possibly buying this guitar also carries mesa boogie amps, which was cool because I got to hear how exactly it would sound with my setup at home. Here is the question. The sound was fablous but it sounded more like a lead guitarist setup, where the higher strings where very clear and articulate but the low thump (boof boof when doing a open E string) was missing. I missed around with the EQ to some degree and it made the sound more rythmish but it still had a "lead guitar sound".

What pickups would you suggest for a big fat rythm sound on a RG 3120 in conjunction with a MB dual rec. If it makes any difference we use a D-G-C-F-A-D tunning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 04:10 PM

Re: Ideal pickup configuration - older 3120

If you like the sound of the EMG's in your Iceman, just get another set of EMGs for your RG3120. Try an EMG 85/60 or 85/85 or even 60/60 combination.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

I thought extra routing would be needed for EMG's on a RG 3120? I could swear I read that on another topic here at jemsite
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:01 PM

I would suggest switching the pickups in the guitar around so that the Tone Zone is in the bridge and the PAF Pro is in the neck. That'll give you the kind of tone that you want. But if you want some extra UMMPH for rhythm then maybe you should check out the D-Sonic pickup. I've heard good things about it recently.

Tags
higher strings , mesa boogie , mesa boogie dual , paf pro , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode