If there wasnt a tone zone or Air Norton? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

If there wasnt a tone zone or Air Norton?

A lot of people always change their pickups for the Tone Zone and Air norton.
So if these didnt exist what would you get and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 AM

Re: If there wasnt a tone zone or Air Norton?

Not all folks like the tz +an combination. It's being widely choosen because maybe it's the most versatile combination available around.
I'll go with super dist + paf pro personally.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 01:51 PM

Reviews: 10

Seymour Duncan JB & 59...the most classic pup combo ever...I love the JB pup and have either a JB or JBjr in the bridge position on my 3 main guitars...
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 02:51 PM

I personally don't like the Tone Zone, but I left it in one of my J.Customs because I absolutely don't want to alter anything about the guitar. In my other JC, I put a Norton in the bridge and like it a lot. Sounds less harsh to me.

I like the Air Norton a lot, but more in basswood than mahogany. In mahogany, I prefer the PAF Pro in the neck.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 05:10 PM

Tone Zone should be called something else. Worst Dimarzio i have ever used.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 06:13 PM

Reviews: 10

I'm also not a fan of the tone zone (as you could probably tell from my earlier post) I find it too dark sounding. For a bridge pickup I would like to try a Norton or an AT or an Evo 2... I think those would be more along the lines of what I like, and maybe closer to a JB that is brighter with more high-mids than a tone zone
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 06:16 PM

I know it's kind of a cliche, but I love Evo's especially the neck version. It's my all-time favorite pickup...
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 06:59 PM

Reviews: 37

I found that the tonezone sounds great in a solidstate amp or recording sim but thin and weak in a real amp.

Evos kick but in tube amp and recording.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 PM

Reviews: 120

Thin and weak? The Tone Zone? Man you must be doing something wrong! With all it's bass and mids I'd hardly call it thin and weak!

In the right guitar the Tone Zone is magnificent. In the wrong (muddy sounding acoustically) guitar it's pretty bland.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 PM

Reviews: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Thin and weak? The Tone Zone? Man you must be doing something wrong! With all it's bass and mids I'd hardly call it thin and weak!

In the right guitar the Tone Zone is magnificent. In the wrong (muddy sounding acoustically) guitar it's pretty bland.
i might have got phasing wrong i had to change wires for the poles to be in right spot so the colors would be like real gmc.

it is black\green colors.

very thin sounding though.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 PM

On my mahogany RG with huge (digital) amp gain, when picking light it sounds almost too full as if never switched from neck (air-norton) to bridge pickup

But when picked hard it almost turns into an auto-wah, really easy to give that super-emotional 80's solo's Funny thing is if bass side of pickup is higher one gets more of that wah-y sound rather than mud.

I guess if I had to change the tonezone I'd pick something middy and bright sounding. Honestly one can solo a lot with a pickup like air norton (at least on my guitar)
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 08:13 PM

Reviews: 15

I thought about getting a TZ/AN combo when I got my RG520, but opted for the Crunchlab/Liquifire combo. For me it's the most versatile for most of the music I play.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 10:47 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
i might have got phasing wrong i had to change wires for the poles to be in right spot so the colors would be like real gmc.

it is black\green colors.

very thin sounding though.
Sounds like you had it wired in parallel ( green as the hot wire rather than red ). In parallel it's thin (as expected). In series the low end is too much for darker guitars. In the right piece of basswood it's great, in the wrong (unfortunately like my RG20th) it's too muddy for tight rhythm work.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 AM

It doesn't necessarily mean that the pickup is wired in parallel if the green is used as hot. You have to look at how the rest of the pickups are wired. I've seen a factory-wired SK Jem that was wired with the green wires as hot, but both humbuckers were that way and the middle pickup wiring was reversed. Basically the whole thing was just wired in the opposite polarity.

But in Andrew's case, I think he really did wire the pickup wrong. It seems like the pickup would go out of phase if you reverse it, like to get the Jem-style color orientation but that isn't true. Reversing the pickup doesn't change its polarity, but it may change its sound.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 AM

Everyone that tells me they hate the Tone Zone has a sucky rig.
It sounds like a mountian of sound coming down on top of me!
One of the other pickups I really like is the EVO2.
Its like the warm version of the EVO1 with better dynamic control.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode