Increasing DiMarzio IBZ Harmonics? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Increasing DiMarzio IBZ Harmonics?

I actually like the basic tone of the IBZ bridge pickup that came with my RG920, for the most part, but find that it can be a bit on the muddy side in the bass, and getting harmonics out of them is a task... What would replacing the ceramic bar with an A8 do for increasing the harmonics and clearing up and tightening the bass? Also same applies for the bass of the neck pickup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 03:31 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Increasing DiMarzio IBZ Harmonics?

Lower the bass side a bit more, and then raise the E A D pole pieces a bit. Try that first. I don't think an Alnico 8 magnet will do what you want.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

I didn't really think so
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 05:16 PM

Get rid of them, the only thing stock ibby pickups are good for is fridge magnets.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Get rid of them, the only thing stock ibby pickups are good for is fridge magnets.
No way!......F2's are one of my all time favorite p/ups. Got a draw full and a ton in Guitars.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
No way!......F2's are one of my all time favorite p/ups. Got a draw full and a ton in Guitars.
The USA ones made by DiMarzio for ibanez? http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/IBZ/USA_F2

lol
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 07:02 PM

Plus 1 for the F2. Its a truly great pickup in my opinion.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 08:19 PM

Reviews: 120

There are stock Ibanez pickups that are great. The F series in particular are great.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1 View Post
Plus 1 for the F2. Its a truly great pickup in my opinion.
+2. I'm not as big of a fan of the F4, but the F2 is amazing.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Generally, I agree with that, however, I don't dislike the overall tone of these IBZ pups. I planned on keeping them and replacing the INF3/4 set in my RG320, they are definitely worlds better, and not bad for a backup, but have since sold the RG320. I'm replacing them with a PAF Joe and Evo2, as soon as I have time to install them. The main problem with them is that they try to make them be a utility pickup, which is fine, but they're in between this and that and have no identity to them... If Ibanez chose to put a set of USA DiMarzio pickups in these guitars, they should have just went with the most widely used combo of standard DiMarzio's...

I'm not a huge fan of the Duncan JB, though I prefer Duncan in general, but I like that when you get a guitar with real Duncan pickups, there is some sort of market research done, ya know, there is thought put into it... Jackson/Charvel knows what their customers want, either Duncan or EMG, and they use the most common combos, if 80% of their Duncan prefered users tend to replace stock pickups with a 59/JB or Jazz/JB combo, why would they have Duncan create a JB/Invader hybrid pickup? Some scratched their heads when Charvel made So Cal's with an Evo neck and TZ bridge, I did as well, but at least they went with 2 of the most popular pickups, even though I absolutely hate the TZ, I understand why they chose it, just as I don't care for the JB but understand why they chose it... In fairness to the JB, I just found out that they are designed for 250k pots, I always put 500k ones, and got the sound I hated, I may need to give them another go.

I'm bored at work, so I'm rambling.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:34 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
I agree those dim/ibz pickups are not that great, BUT.....the ist gen IBZ/USA are GREAT pickups. I would put a F3 up aganist ANY pick ever made (for high gain). It compresses, and drips with clear/even,liquid tone, perfect response. For stk pickups, I would say the IBZ/USA series are near the top compared with anything any other manufacture makes/made.

I question the opinion of someone who has only been on our site sense Dec 2012 , make me wonder how much experiance with the older stuff you have, have you ever played many ibbys with the 1st gen ibz/usa pickups?
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:36 AM

I personally cant stand Duncans. They lack any power or punch (and I played the most common ones, the JB and 59). They lacked any personality. Steve Vai may have lost his mind with all the different pup setups he's released (especially the Gravity storm Neck pup), but at least they have a sound that's unique imo. Same goes for the F2.

Also, I wouldnt bash the IBZs that much. I've got a set in my 2550 and it's in Eb tuning, but they sound just fine. Actually they give me the EXACT sound I'm looking for: they are cleaner than EMGs and with my distortion pedal I can get the exact sound I want for most of the songs I play.

Oh and tone comes from your fingers
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner4Life View Post
I actually like the basic tone of the IBZ bridge pickup that came with my RG920, for the most part, but find that it can be a bit on the muddy side in the bass, and getting harmonics out of them is a task... What would replacing the ceramic bar with an A8 do for increasing the harmonics and clearing up and tightening the bass? Also same applies for the bass of the neck pickup.
Now.....to adress your question... (sorry, I had to adress the bad mouthing of the 1st gen ibz/usa pickups 1st.....lol)

A HUGE factor is what amp are you playing through? In order to maximize the harmonics of any pickup, you have to have a amp that's designed to be very transparant and show every little thing it "sees". Not all high gain amps do a good job of doing this. Some guys hate this style of amp because it shows a lot of their mistakes, but if you really have your "hands together", there is nothing like it. I bet if you played that guitar through a solnado slo 100, the harmonics would fly out of it......ask me how I know.....

As far as getting less bass out of the neck pickup (or any pickup in any position on the guitar), I have a guitar I want to do that on as well. What I'm going to try is, putting a capacitor inline with the hot lead of the pickup and the selector switch. I have heard this is like having a high pass filter on it so it won't, let say (based on cap value) anything from 200hz down won't come through and would make the pickup more woody sounding and less muddy. I'll post a thread of my findings later.....
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Also, I wouldnt bash the IBZs that much. I've got a set in my 2550 and it's in Eb tuning, but they sound just fine. Actually they give me the EXACT sound I'm looking for: they are cleaner
They are VERY clean, too clean for my tatse. That's actually why I got rid of mine....
When I said they are not that great, I guess I was comparing them to the "umph" the 1st gen ibz/usa pickups have...
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 01:07 PM

If you like the basic tone of your pickups but want them to be a little more clear and have more power I would consider switching to no load pots or 1 meg pots.You will notice more highs and an overall brighter sound.

switching pots is cheaper than new pickups and even if you do change pickups later on they will sound better with new pots as opposed to stock.

If you haven't tried the cobalt strings they are worth a shot as well.

Tags
alnico 8 , dimarzio , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode