Info on Holdsworth Duncan? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Info on Holdsworth Duncan?

I have an old Seymour Duncan Allan Holdsworth (AHBJ) that I just wired in a mahogany bodied S(abre) that sounds very close to a JB. I had read somewhere that he used the JB at one time and figured his sig pup would be similar. Does anyone have any info on what years these were made, what the output and specs on these are or anything else to share about these pups
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 02:42 PM

Re: Info on Holdsworth Duncan?

The original Allan Holdsworth pickup was a duncan 59n with a double row of screw magnets-it had a very balanced sound but was very low output. The JB has way more output and treble-the prominent midrange in the pickup is whats makes them sound similar. Awesome sounding pickup; Scott Henderson used them during the early Tribal Tech recordings.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!! It sounds nice. I was suprised it worked as it seems to be pretty old and I have never had the chance to try it out in anything.

Is there another pup from Seymour that is close to this if I want to get something simialr for another guitar?

Is it a good pup for guitars other than mahogany bodies?
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 06:01 PM

If yours sounds like the JB, then that's what it is. It's like two JB screw coils. The pole pieces can make a huge difference in the tone of a pickup, so don't discount it as "just poles".

I don't know if there was ever a Holdsworth based on the 59N, but I do know that ever since I remember, the Holdsworth spec'd out same as the JB. So if you want to duplicate the pickup you've got there, the best way is to take two JB's and make a hybrid. Or you could pop the slugs, fill the holes, and re-tap them for screws. Then you'd have to get a metal spacer for that side as well.

I'm not saying NYK is wrong, but the pronounced mids are not the reason you're thinking it sounds like a JB. If you read it on the meter it'll be up around 16k, same as the JB. If it turns out to be around 8k, then I guess I'm wrong.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 07:16 PM

I could be wrong but I'm a huge fan of fusion guitar and Allans playing in
general. When Allan made the cover of Guitar Player magazine in 1979 he said he used duncan 59n pickups in his custom charvels. I had a friend who brought a set when they first came out and thought they were very weak and vintage sounding. The only rock guitarist I ever saw using them was the late Robin Crosby of Ratt. At the time I was using Duncan custom customs in a Les Paul and compared it to an early charvel strat(1981) with the holdsworth pickup. My
technique was'nt good enough for a very smooth articulate pickup at the time...
I needed the mega powerful pickups to compensate for the lack of control.
All the Holdsworth clones use very smooth low output pickups with a lot
of midrange. I don't think output is the be all or end all of pickups.....Van Halen 1
was recorded with an old paf. To see a great example of this pickup in action go to::: www.andrehernandes.com.br and download the live clinic clip.....sounds like Greg Howe and Holdsworth.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info gang. I'll get it checked out today to see what the ohms rate out at and post tonight or tomorrow morning my findings.

The poles are a double row of large slotted (nickel, steel?) screws that are about the same size as the intonation adjusting screws on the Edge trem in front of it - to give you an idea of the size of them.

It does seem to be a fairly hot pup. I have a 59' in my USA Hamer and this AHBJ pup seems to be much hotter than the '59 when doing a side by side test. I will put a meter to it to be sure.

I talked to my guitar tech buddy at the store I teach out of yesterday and he seemed to think the Custom 11 was a close match to the AHBJ pup as well as a JB. He thought (and said he could be wrong) that the AHBJ pup was a little lower output than the JB but hotter than the '59. This AHBJ pup doesn't sound vintagey like a '59 or like it has low output but seems VERY close to what I am hearing out of a JB (again, in my USA Hamer - JB/'59) just not as hot.

The meter will reveal ALL and I'll let you guys know.

On a side note, I have been looking forward to trying this pup for almost 4yrs, ever since Frank told me he LOVED these pups and if I ever wanted to pass it on that he would be very interested in it. Hearing that made me want to use it even more since I know the ear and experience Frank has with pups. I have been so wrapped up in other projects that I forgot I even had this pup. I'm glad it still works
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 08:32 AM

The Holdsworth forum would be a great place to get that info (it's down now) - there is a member on there who is friends with Allan and is very familiar with his gear. Apparently the pickup that Allan likes is in fact the '59 that Newyearkid talks about, but the production Duncan is very different and closer to the JB. Not quite sure why that is - maybe Allan switched to the higher output pickup temporarily, but I am pretty sure that the '59 is actually closer to what he generally prefers.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

I originally thought the AHBJ pup I have was a tad lower output than the JB I have but I was wrong. I had the tech at my store put it on a meter yesterday and it showed the pup at 17ohms.

I was informed by an inside source at SD that my AHBJ pup is a custom shop pup wound by one of the two preferred pup winders/makers at SD - the top preferred winder/maker being Seymour himself. This particular pup was wound by the other master winder.

Tonally my pup reacts very much like a JB in sound characteristics from what I can tell. I'm still sorting out my wiring with a little help from my tech at the store (Thanks Tommy!).

I like the tones I'm getting from this pup since I am a big fan of the JB in mahogany bodies and in fact I just had a JB (from Frank via Eric) and a Dimarzio PAF (S1? also from Eric) wired into a NOS '06 IC400 (Iceman) by my local tech with a new 3 way switch. I needed to know it is done correctly so I'll be able to use the IC400 onstage this weekend for the first time without worries and the fact that the PAF had only about 2" on lead wire and the JB wires also needed to be extended, which is what kept me from messing around with it myself. I hope to pickup the IC400 from the shop today. I'm looking forward to plugging it in to my rig.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Banned

in my old duncan catalog it says the holdsworth pup was a alnico 5 ,
16.1K pup and i see and in no way how was a 59 neck pup with different poles

if anything it was a smoother toned JB
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstar View Post

I could really use one of those for my...wow I need another mahogany guitar...nevermind, remind me about this one in three months :P
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilverdew View Post
I could really use one of those for my...wow I need another mahogany guitar...nevermind, remind me about this one in three months :P
Why, were you saving money for something else that you will end up spending on a new mahogany guitar
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstar View Post

It sounds great for me being a JB fan anyway. It is very smooth and the cleans are fantastic! I paired it with a PAF in the neck and WOW!!! Love IT!!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 07:49 PM

So what exactly is different between it and a JB? Magnets?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Dee

Damn. I want a Holdsworth pickup now! SD will still make them, but they are custom orders, cost is $160 a piece and there's a 2 month wait time.

Quote:
Do you still make the Allan Holdsworth Model pickup?

Yes, we do but on a custom order basis now. The Holdsworth Model or SH-AH1 was developed to produce the subtleties of Allan's fluid style of playing. Built with mirror-image coils and adjustable screws for extra midrange strength and excellent sustain. It has our conductor cable and is available in white, zebra and black. This pickup costs $160 retail and Custom Shop orders have an 8 week leadtime.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Damn. I want a Holdsworth pickup now! SD will still make them, but they are custom orders, cost is $160 a piece and there's a 2 month wait time.
I guess I should consider myself lucky to have stumbled across this one

Frank can tell you the difference or you can check the SD website and see if it is the magnets that are the big difference. I can say even as hot as it is, it is still SMOOOOOOOOTH with a nice bite when needed and the cleans are sweeeeeet!

Tags
allan holdsworth , carvin guitars , clean tone , custom shop , dimarzio paf , edge trem , guitar tech , les paul , mahogany body , neck pickup , neck pup , output pickup , scott henderson , seymour duncan , signature guitar , string pickup , string pickups , trem block , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode