Installing Standard Humbucker in TrueDuo Circuit - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Installing Standard Humbucker in TrueDuo Circuit

Sorry if this has been covered, but I could find no info on how to do this, so here's how.

Some of you may not know that the TrueDuo humbucker is a three coil pickup. One side of the humbucker has a coil underneath it that, when the coil tap on the vol is activated, makes a stacked humbucker for hum-cancelled single coil tone. When the bridge pickup is used in conjunction with the middle single coil, it is turned into a true single coil to maintain hum-cancellation. The wiring to do this is fairly complicated, and I'm not going to describe it as most folks will just want to know how to put in a standard humbucker. This complex wiring could have been avoided if Ibanez would have just used a stacked humbucker in the middle position, but they didn't.

My customer brought in a Carvin M22 4-cond pickup to put in the bridge position of his sv5470a J-Craft. I took meter readings of the TrueDuo pup that were odd, so I disassembled the pickup and found that they had spliced some wires under heatshrink. Long story short, my customer and I decided to make the Carvin pickup split when the vol pot was lifted and also when the 5-way switch activated it with the middle pickup to maintain hum-cancellation.

This was accomplished by removing all the wires on the bridge pup side of the push/pull - two orange wires, one green wire and the pickup wires - and they were also removed from the 5-way. The bridge side of the push/pull was then used as a standard coil tap, with the tap wire of the pickup going to the center lug and the top lug going to ground. The hot wire of the pickup then went to the lug on the 5-way that previously held the green wire and the ground was grounded on the pot shell.

In order to get the bridge pickup to tap automatically when used with the middle pickup, there must be a coil tap activated by the 5-way. I used the terminals previously used by the orange wires for this. Wire a jumper from the tap location on the push/pull center lug to the lug where one of the orange wires were. Then ground the lug where the other orange wire was. This will send the tap to ground when the 5-way is in the #2 position.

It's a simple wiring setup when you know what the original pickups are doing, but it was pretty time consuming to figure out. Hope this helps someone out.

Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 10:45 PM

Re: Installing Standard Humbucker in TrueDuo Circuit

Ah! Finally someone who has actually seen one of these in person! (jus' kiddin' to the other SV owners). YES...you have helped. Im currently beating my head against the wall mapping this thing out so i can create the PU setup (Non-TruDuo) that i really want. I know between the 4pdt and the 4 pole switch there are a gazillion options but i cant seen to get what im after.
thanks for the insight.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Re: Installing Standard Humbucker in TrueDuo Circuit

One other thing. If you want to do the neck pickup, it is a mirror image on the push/pull, with yellow wires in place of orange. The coil tap and ground wire go to the yellow terminations on 5-way and the hot lead of the pickup goes to the termination of the green wire that starts on the neck pickup side of the push/pull. Hope this helps.

Tags
coil tap , pickup , trueduo wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode