Instructions/diagrams for a 24 tab switch - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Question Instructions/diagrams for a 24 tab switch

Hi,

I've been searching the site and the net and haven't been able to find what I am looking for on this question. I apologize if this is answered elsewhere on the site, please just point me in the right direction.

I have a guitar I just bought that has a big white plastic 5-way switch with 24 tabs on it arranged in two rows. It has numbers going from 0 on the inside tabs to 5 on the outside ones. From reading on this site, it seems that it may be a Yamaha switch, but I'm not sure about that. Stew Mac had a picture of a Yamaha switch that looked like this one, but they don't sell it anymore and they don't have any schematics for it.

Does anyone know where I can find some instructions and schematics for this? I am interested in rewiring this guitar, but know nothing about this switch. I'm more interested in learning "how" it works than in getting just various wiring diagrams (so I can figure out how to do what I want), but either will be better than the nada I have right now. FYI, I'm pretty new to this side of guitar maintenance, so please use layman's terms...

Thanks for any help!
Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 05:19 PM

Re: Instructions/diagrams for a 24 tab switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyogi
I have a guitar I just bought that has a big white plastic 5-way switch with 24 tabs on it arranged in two rows. It has numbers going from 0 on the inside tabs to 5 on the outside ones. From reading on this site, it seems that it may be a Yamaha switch, but I'm not sure about that. Stew Mac had a picture of a Yamaha switch that looked like this one, but they don't sell it anymore and they don't have any schematics for it. Does anyone know where I can find some instructions and schematics for this? I am interested in rewiring this guitar, but know nothing about this switch.
Robert
yep, that's the yamaha switch. and if your guitar is a blue RG7620 with a 1998 serial number, and the middle position is a Tele-style sound with the two outer coils of the humbuckers, then i probably put that switch in there.

the 24-pole switches may seem complicated, but the cool thing is that all of the different brands of 24-pole switch work exactly the same way. so any wiring diagram you find for any 24-pole switch will work with your switch, once you know what poles are what numbers.

the best place to start for 24-pole info is with the instruction sheet on the Stew Mac website for the other model of 24-pole switch that they do currently sell. after you read through that, you can e-mail me at [email protected] and i can e-mail you a zip file of the scanned pages of the old Yamaha switch manual. it's pretty similar to the manual for the switch they do sell, but there are a few extra nuggets in there.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll look at Stew Mac's site and then get back to you.

PS: not the same guitar, but that would have been an amazing coincidence!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 02:48 AM

Another easy way to figure out how it works (or to verify diagrams off the net, as sometimes it's easy to get things the wrong way round off a diagram for example) is to get a multimeter and just go through each of the 5 selector positions and see what lugs on the switch are hot using the continuity test setting. You can pick up multimeters for peanuts, and they're extremely useful for all sorts of guitar problems, especially when you do what I did and rewire your whole guitar with new switching capability, only to discover that none of it works.... ;o)

Cheers,

Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the second piece of advice too...If I pick up a multimeter to help me in my electronic tinkering, is there anything special that I need or need to look out for? If I remember these things correctly from watching my grandfather use one, there is a dial on the front that has to be set correctly: will any meter work for guitar wiring, or are there special needs for this application? Is there a certain range of function it has to be able to detect or anything like that? Thanks again!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 08:09 AM

For general testing of connections, you can pick up a cheap multimeter for as little as $10.

You should get one with a continuity test option (it beeps whenever a connection is made between the 2 probes). They usually have different modes (e.g. for measuring resistance, current etc) and are accurate to varying degrees depending on price. A $10 multimeter is fine for most things, unless you need super-accurate figures on resistances etc.

You can then verify the lugs you expect to be hot are hot by using the probes on continuity test mode, which can save a lot of swearing if you accidentally wire something back to front! (been there, done that!)

Cheers,

Dave

Tags
pole switch , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode