Issues people have with the DiMarzio/IBZ pickups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

View Poll Results: What is your main issue with the DiMarzio/IBZ series pickups?
Too bassy/muddy 6 17.14%
Too trebly 7 20.00%
Not enough clarity 12 34.29%
Not enough output 7 20.00%
Too much output 1 2.86%
Too harsh 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 120
Issues people have with the DiMarzio/IBZ pickups

Hey all, as a follow-on to the work I did with the V7/V8 pickups last year I thought it might be time to do some similar experiments with the DiMarzio/IBZ found in some of the Prestige guitars.

I know that many aren't entirely happy with the tones they get from these stock pickups, so I thought it may be a good idea to start potentially testing out some magnet swaps, half-air mods, and cap mods to resolve the common issues people have with these pickups in their stock form.

If you could take the poll, and post any comments relating to the pickups that would be great. Once we get a decent enough batch of data from you all I'll try and source some of these pickups (hopefully not the knock-off ones) and get onto some tests that I think may resolve any issues that are common amongst users.

I'll document it all on my blog, and of course here.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 PM

Re: Issues people have with the DiMarzio/IBZ pickups

The DiMarzio IBZ pickups are IMO above average, just that the DiMarzio cults out there believe they don't sound like the standard ones on offer.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

How do you find them though germX? What do you find to be their shortcomings?
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:03 AM

What if I would choose 2 different answers for the neck and bridge?

I really like them both, if I had to choose something. The bridge could use more clarity and the neck could use more output.

As far as bass and treble, I think they're really well balanced. The problem is if you fix the bass and treble for one style, then you'd ruin it for another style. So I wouldn't mess with it. That being said, I wouldn't mind more bass and/or midrange.

Also, I'm guessing you're referring to the newer generations of these pickups. People's opinions seem to be that they've gotten better over the years. Mine are from '08.

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 05-10-2012 at 04:44 AM.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

That's fine, that's why I wanted comments from users here, so they could expand anything they needed to.

I didn't think that the pickups had specs changed for the regular Prestige ones. The newer Premium ones are different to the Prestige ones. I'm interested in the Prestige ones, since they are the ones that people haven't been so happy with. From all accounts so far people dig the ones in the Premiums.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 01:19 AM

Reviews: 2

I found them Muddy and without clarity,needed more mids. I voted Bassy/Muddy but they aren't really Bassy just muddy and unclear
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 01:20 AM

Maybe balanced yet lifeless?????
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Let's keep it up. I would like a decent sample of data to work off, and I reckon we can get there.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 09:04 AM

You need an option for "just don't like". It's been a while since I've had them in there, but I just remember distinctly not liking them. I no longer remember exactly what it was I didn't like.

I'm in no way biased against Ibanez-branded DiMarzios either. I absolutely love the F-series pickups that were used in the 700 and Roadstar Pro series. I have four guitars with those pickups in them.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 06:34 PM

I have a 2006 Pretige puzzle top, that I got 3 years ago, it honestly was never played before me. An artist had it, go figure . Anyway it is safe to say it had no mods made or wear and tear on it. It has the Dimarzio/IBZ labeled pups. And I have been scared to tell my wife the whole time why I play it least of all my ibbies. Cuz the pups seem stale and weak a bit.i thought maybe it's just me and my ensational need for more power in everything, but I'm satisfied with all my others. Except my jem77fp the bridge pad pro is pretty don't get me wrong but I just crave bit more oomph. Love it in neck pos but I'm gonna be sneaky and get a pink evo for bridge. Of course I be hanging on to original. It feels wrong to change any detail on it but as I have learned if it don't function to your wildest dreams it don't matter how pretty or iconic it is . I would have no clue where to start swapping pups in the puzzle top, it's mahogany with maple and Ovankhol top. Has only two pups no middle single coil like Jems. I want some good rhythm
Chunk and still vowel sounding sweetness in bridge. And a sweet yet powerful neck. I will not slaughter the thing it's too nice so I need a good idea b4 I start of what will work.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments, and welcome to Jemsite.

Anyone else???
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Anyone else with experience with the DiMarzio/IBZ pickups in Prestige guitars want to post their thoughts?
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:17 PM

I can't help with what might be right or wrong with them as I've never had a set installed in a guitar. I do own a set that I'd be willing to donate as "guinea pigs" for the experiments.

I think they came from an '07-'08 RGA321F.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Would you have some time to load them up in a guitar to see what they are like? I'd love your opinion on them.

How much would you want for them if I take them off your hands? PM me if you want.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 06:57 AM

I just got my 1986 Roadstar II and it has the muddiest IBZ pups in it I've heard so far. I did try a .047 cap in line on the pup lead and it didn't do much at all for the muddiness. The cap works great on a Tone Zone, but not on these things. Unfortunately there isn't much I can do with them since they are epoxy potted. My new L500XL/L500R combo will be here in a couple of weeks anyway.

Tags
dimarzio/ibz , issues , modify , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode