I've Got the World's Only 7-String DiMarzio PAF Pro? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

I've Got the World's Only 7-String DiMarzio PAF Pro?

So, a couple years ago I scored an Ibanez RG2027X off ebay. When I pulled the DiMarzios out, the bridge pickup was hand-labelled DP-751:

Well, I couldn't find that model # anywhere online, so I wrote to DiMarzio and included the above photos. Their short reply was:

"Itís a 7-string version of the PAF Pro (DP151), with fairly similar specs. It was never released for production and retail sale."

Whoa, interesting. So, I'm wondering how this pickup got out into the wild. Maybe it once belonged to an artists or endorser? It's a nice-sounding pickup, but not to my liking for a bridge pickup due to the medium output. I may try it in the neck position of my RG1527 (I currently have an Ionizer 7 Neck in there), as I tend to like a brighter neck pickup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: I've Got the World's Only 7-String DiMarzio PAF Pro?

That's just awesome

No idea how it made it out the door, but definitely awesome!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 04:53 PM
Vendor

Stuff like this creeps out of Hoshino occasionally, but I wouldn't doubt that Dimarzio itself has somethings slip out, employee purchases, back pocket specials, etc.

I have 2/3 of 1 of the only 2 original sets of Blazes that were made by putting 2 cut 6 string pickups together. One set went to Steve, the other set was still in Bensalem and got out on an employee guitar.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 08:47 PM

That is really cool! I suggest asking DiMarzio if they would be willing to make you a second one. (Plan on paying for it.) Matching sets of pickups are quite common but it's really hard to manage when only one exists. I'm sure your guitar students would agree! I'm sure the DiMarzio custom shop employees would agree too.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:33 PM

Reviews: 120

Damn that's pretty awesome. the PAF Pro is a great pickup. I'm surprised that they never made a seven string version.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 04:52 PM

I replied over on sevenstring, but I've heard of a handful of these made for endorser guitars - I know Dave Weiner had 1-2 guitars with PAF Pros in them, at a minimum. It's my favorite 6-string neck pickup so I've emailed Dimarzio a couple times about doing a seven string version, but so far no production one exists.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I replied over on sevenstring, but I've heard of a handful of these made for endorser guitars - I know Dave Weiner had 1-2 guitars with PAF Pros in them, at a minimum. It's my favorite 6-string neck pickup so I've emailed Dimarzio a couple times about doing a seven string version, but so far no production one exists.
In that case, I find it strange DiMarzio has not made a production version. Perhaps one of their current 7 string pickups is a PAF Pro 7 from a "specs" perspective but simply called something else.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 08:45 PM

Reviews: 120

I find it crazy too. I love the PAF Pro in the neck, and it's a cool bridge pickup too. I'd so be down with a seven string version for my Jackson. The PAF Pro would be perfect for it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 01:38 PM

I mean, doesn't hurt to shoot them an email about it - the Sentient/Custom is great, but a PAF Pro/Blaze set would probably make me pretty happy too.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:10 PM

I recently emailed DiMarzio about getting a set of 7 string PAF Pro's made ( had no idea they had already did it till i found this thread today) and was told they would absolutely not do that (F*&King Pricks lol). The 6 string version is one of my favorite pickups ever so i figured a 7 string version would be just as awesome.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
If i read correctly (I can not find the article) the "Chris Broderick" dimarzio set 6 and 7 string is a tweaked activator in the bridge and paf pro in the neck

the neck would be an alternative anyway cuz DP751's are few and far between

almost won a 7 string fred on ebay once upon a time , would love to pair those 2 up for a js7
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACS-plus View Post
If i read correctly (I can not find the article) the "Chris Broderick" dimarzio set 6 and 7 string is a tweaked activator in the bridge and paf pro in the neck

the neck would be an alternative anyway cuz DP751's are few and far between

almost won a 7 string fred on ebay once upon a time , would love to pair those 2 up for a js7
I've since bought the pickup in the OP from webmaestro since he found something he liked more, and, embarrassingly, it's still sitting on my desk because I haven't had enough time to install it. I'm off this coming week, though, so I hope to get to it then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode