I've settled on these...for now - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

I've settled on these...for now

I've got an RG with the Tone Zone bridge and PAFPro neck. I'm also taking the stocks out of my Saber and getting a Breed bridge model and a Fred for the neck. Now, to save myself a whole lotta swapping and string changing, I'd like to know how you guys would configure these pickups. Keep in mind I will coil split them as well.

Options: PAFPro neck/Tone Zone bridge
Fred neck/Breed bridge
Fred neck/Tone Zone bridge
PAFPro neck/Breed bridge

Most importantly, which set would you put in which guitar? As you all know they're both mahogany, but the Saber is about half the thickness of an RG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 08:23 PM

The body thickness/acoustic tone is one thing, but the location of your neck pickup is what makes this an easy choice for me. I think the PAF Pro is better suited than a Fred for a 24 fret guitar. The stronger Fred overtones would be better used in a 22 fret, in my opinion. I would pair the Fred with the Tone Zone and the PAF Pro with the Breed. But then again, the "pairing" isn't all that essential because neither guitar will have both hums on together, unless you modify it to do so.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

,j,

Thanks for the input. So, I guess you're saying Fred/Tone Zone in the Saber and PafPro/Breed in the RG? I assume a Tone Zone should sound fine in the Saber, do you agree? I think both pickups will be active in position 2+3 on both guitars, but these pickups should all balance well anyway.

I guess the question now (since you say Fred is better for 22 fret guitars) is should I leave the RG alone or swap the Tone Zone with the Breed? Does it even matter? They are kinda similar at least on the specs chart.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 12:34 PM

I'd put the Fred with the Tone Zone and the PAF Pro with the Breed, but what I mean about not being on together is that I assume your guitars have single coils in the middle, right? If they do, then you aren't getting a position that has both humbuckers blended together. If you have a custom switching system, or just two hums on the guitar, then it's more important how you pair them.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

jg

I'm sorry. I guess I should have been more clear. Both guitars are H-H only. No singles. So pairing is important I guess.

So far I'm looking at:

FRED neck/Tone Zone bridge in an S1540
PAFPro neck/Breed bridge in an RG3120
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

On second thought, I think I'll leave the RG3120 alone. I like the combination of TZ and PafPro that it has. I'd get another TZ for the bridge of my S1540, but I'd like something a bit different, even though the TZ kicks ass.

Tags
breed bridge , coil split , fret guitar , fret guitars , neck pickup , paf pro , pro neck , tone zone , tone zone bridge , zone bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode