Jack socket for SR-500 bass. - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By sepulchrave
  • 1 Post By j.arledge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Jack socket for SR-500 bass.

Hello all.

My son recently bought a second-hand SR-500 in superb condition, but we suspect the jack socket will need replacing at some point as it sometimes cuts out if we shoogle (a Scottish technical term...) the plug around. This isn't a problem - access is superb.

However, we'd like to know the specific part required as we presume it's 'switched' since it's an active bass. Is this the case? Does the circuitry get turned on by inserting the plug (ooh-er, missus)?

Many thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devs Ad View Post
Hello all.

My son recently bought a second-hand SR-500 in superb condition, but we suspect the jack socket will need replacing at some point as it sometimes cuts out if we shoogle (a Scottish technical term...) the plug around. This isn't a problem - access is superb.

However, we'd like to know the specific part required as we presume it's 'switched' since it's an active bass. Is this the case? Does the circuitry get turned on by inserting the plug (ooh-er, missus)?

Many thanks for any advice.
Yes, the jack socket is switched as you correctly surmised.
Rather than shoogling the plug you may well find that simply dismantling, cleaning and straightening the existing socket will effect a permanent repair.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Re: Jack socket for SR-500 bass.

Many thanks, Sepulchrave, for the confirmation.

Is the actual socket itself dismantleable? I'd imagined they'd be crimped together or similar?

Cheers.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Many thanks, Sepulchrave, for the confirmation.

Is the actual socket itself dismantleable? I'd imagined they'd be crimped together or similar?

Cheers.
By dismantling I mean take it out of the instrument, clean it up and bend the tip contact back into shape.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Not sure how I'd get in to the socket that far to re-tweak the contacts inside?!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Not sure how I'd get in to the socket that far to re-tweak the contacts inside?!
Try, you can always order a new one if it doesn't work out.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

No harm!

That leads me back to my earliest question - any idea of the part number of a socket which is switched? Most such sockets with three terminals are 'stereo' and not switched.

Thanks again.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:46 PM
Vendor

I just looked at various years of 500's and they all have the same typical Korean barrel jack. Nothing special.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Thank you.

I was just concerned that most sockets don't have the required 'switching' capacity - just an 'earth' and two 'pin' terminals.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Still wondering how these sockets are 'switched' inside and it occurred to me that they might not have ACTUAL 'switching' contacts inside - ie they do not have an actual moving contact that's pushed in to contact with another one when the plug is inserted - but instead might simply be 'stereo' sockets which have the usual three terminals - the earth sleeve, a mid-contact and then the end tip.

What could then happen is that the main earth sleeve and the mid contact are effectively connected together by the plug's main metal pin (which is mono), thereby turning on the power (possibly via the earth -ve battery terminal rather than the more usual +ve), and that leaves the socket 'tip' pin to do its normal 'signal' job.

Does that make sense? If so, then there is nothing 'special' about these sockets - they are simply 'stereo' sockets and don't have moving switching contacts inside.

Anyone know if this is correct? Thanks.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 05:34 PM

Yes, correct.
Devs Ad likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 08:46 PM

i have an sr-500 bass, it is just a stereo jack. The ring lug is what completes your circuit for the pickups/preamp. If you don't do a stereo jack your battery stays on the entire time until it runs down.
Devs Ad likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Phew - thank you both :-)

Tags
sr-500 jack socket ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode