Jackson soloist sl2h: pickup choice - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Jackson soloist sl2h: pickup choice

I've recently ordered a Jackson soloist SL2H after falling in love with its ebony fretboard giving it a test run at a local store.

However, I did not fall in love with the default pickup (H-H) configuration: bridge = SD TB4 (humbucker) and neck = SD 59 SH1N (humbucker).

My current main 6-string guitar is an Ibanez Jem 77fp (15th anniversary edition). I love the DiMarzio PAF Pro pickups. I'm aiming for a lead tone similar to that of Per Nilsson (Scar Symmetry) and Paul Wardingham. If I'm not mistaken, Per used to record his leads with a Jem 77fp using a PAF Pro in the bridge position.

Question: I'll mostly use this guitar to record/play (metal) lead tracks with the bridge pick up. I'd like to try out the PAF Pro in the bridge position but have no idea what neck pick up to use. Would the PAF Pro work with the default SD SH1N in the neck ? Should I go with another pup configuration ?

I'm new to Jackson guitars and to guitars with an alder body. I don't know if this pickup configuration is what I should aim for in order to get a Per Nilsson-esque lead tone.

My amp configuration is not completely set at the moment (my old amps got destroyed by a flood).

Thanks in advance for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Details on the Jackson sl2h soloist

Alder body with a gloss poly finish.

Quartersawn maple neck (bound ebony fingerboard).

Floyd Rose original double locking 2-point trem.

Factory HH pup configuration (direct mount):

Neck: SD '59 SH1N

Bridge: SD zebra JB TB4

Tags
jackson sl2h , paf pro , paul wardingham , per nilsson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode