JEM 7VWH 1993 evolution pickups problem - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bartomen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

JEM 7VWH 1993 evolution pickups problem

I just bought this jem from 1993. Previous owner switched middle single coil pickup to chopper, gave me the original, but, when the tech installed the original jem single coil back, the sound with neck hum on position 2 was weak, also, whem I tap the poles on neck hum, in position 1, the bridge half of the neck hum sounds much weaker. Is the neck hum bad, were the specs in 1993 different, are the values of todays evos the same,.We followed the wiring diagram for jem...but, the neck still sounds a bit thin and to bright...help please..thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:41 PM

Re: JEM 7VWH 1993 evolution pickups problem

Is it wired out of phase or something? I have Evo's from 1994, they don't sound identical to the 2017 ones but they do sound incredible, I wouldn't say anything has changed 25years with the pickups. I would get back in touch with your tech, and in future learn to do this stuff yourself as it's not difficult and just requires a little patience to get your head around.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

The specs in 93 were identical as far as pickups go, it sounds to me (and I'm not an expert on electronics) like there's something wrong with the neck pickup
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanx for reply. I am totaly new on jemsite, my english is not the best too. Yes, it would be to bad, if the neck hum is bad, but will will test it tommorrow, measuring impedance..etc. I think I am going to take the guitar to anpther technician, and completely rewire, following original jem wiring diagram. The 2 position should be wired middle pickup with the bridge half of the neck hum, but in this case, the sound was really weak. I will get back when we try our best...Otherwise the guitar is amazing, ebony first class, the paint is very thin, the body is worn, but just light relic,the neck is thx god totally clear, the trem and tuners in top condition after 25 years. I like this site, but i did have quite some problems to register and search for similar thread...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:35 PM

i am going to guess the evo is wired backwards (middle pickup)
that would make both position 2 and 4 sound kind of weird (like a tele)
couldn't hurt to switch the wires and try it

I would also check and see if the neck pickup is mounted in the correct north south orientation with respect to the bridge

that can cause odd in phase\ out of phase sounds with a nornal 5 way switch

and just turning it 180 can make a big difference
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Ok,the neck hum is mounted well, right oriented,with dimarzio logo under 1&2 nd string. I noticed that the new evolution pickups ( dimarzio official site), the neck and bridge values are different. We will check the phase, but the tech said,it in phase and ok. I am wonderin, if the neck is not fully serial wired( both halfs). At this moment, the 2nd position ist wired middle with neck side of the neck hum, and it sounds bette than with bridge side of a neck hum, we tried both,but the right wiring middle pup with bridge side of a neck hum sounder really bad....I say, tear it appart,clean it all up,check the neck pup resistance,then rewire....thx so far
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Yesterday we measured 1993 evolution pickups without lifting entire pickguard out of a jem,just at the output through a 3m cable,pots fully opened,the values of resistance were:neck 6,5 kOhm (only neck half of a hum wired), middle single coil 6,4kOhm, bridge (normal serial both halfs) 14,2kOhms. On monday a pro tech will try to do the original wiring for jem, which diagram can be found on internet. I hope it's gona work with original vlx91. I hope that the bridge side of a neck hum is ok andjust not wired at the moment...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Here I am back, with repaired neck humbucker Evolution 1993, first issue. Yes, the bridge side of the neck hum was bad, it is professionally rewind now, 0,5 copper wire, 95 turns per layer, we made it 6,19 kOhm. The original neck half is 6kOhm. The sound is perfect, a little smother probably, than original. The only problem is, that position 2 and 4 are really to weak. Is it normal? I will try to switch the phase on a middle single coil pickup..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 10:13 AM

Yes, the sound in position 2-3-4 is noticeable weaker by default, unless you rise the middle pickup quite high (closer to the strings). That is not bad, just cleans the preamp better for fenderish in between pisition sounds.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 11:32 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Yup, if you're wanting 5 different usable tones from each switch position at relatively close volumes that just won't happen. The split-5 wiring is not designed for this especially with one shared vol & tone knob. The good news is you can rewire it however you want.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

I'm back. Yes, the middle single coil has been wired out of phase. Now it's ok, the 2,3,4 positions are fullier sounding now, before it was totally weak. The 1993 jem is now in top condition, really amazing guitar, specially neck and body.
jono likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Thx to everyone for helping me out with this problem, it was quite a mess. If I come in stuation to sell the JEM, I will offer it to a Jemsite community..I can also offer information on Ibanez Artist 2616(175 style) from 1973 pre serial with all original including both, rosewood and steel bridge and booklet, Ibanez Atrist 350PLT from 1986 all original, Ibanez Musician MC 924 bass from 1983,Ibanez RG505dx desert sun yellow with green mirror pickguard from 1999, Ibanez RG550 20anniversary road flare red from 2007 and Ibanez RG2550e from 2006, which are part of mine jap collection...Best regards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode