JEM with Fernandes sustainer - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

JEM with Fernandes sustainer

Hello,

I got a Fernandes sustainer put in my guitar. For the money I spent on parts and installation, I could've bought a Fernandes guitar...but who would want one? Here is a crappy pic (intel webcam) of my guitar. I'll post more pics if I get requests.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 01:45 AM

Too bad you had to add all that black hardware to your white guitar. Had you gone with a Sustainiac unit, you could have got a white driver, kept your bridge Evo and used push-pull pots instead of mini-switches to preserve your JEM's pristine appearance.

Gripes aside, how do you like it?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Actually, I like it alot. The bridge pickups aren't as bad as I thought they would be. I know about the Sustainiac. However, at the time that I wanted to order one, their stock was out. I'm very happy with the Fernandes though. Not having played the Sustainiac, I can't really compare the two.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 02:55 AM

why the heck doesn't fernandes smarten up and make the damn pickup in white too. So limited...
As for this geetar...sweet!!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 03:46 AM

Change it to black and white zebra humbucker & sustainer and a white single coil in the middle of the pearl pickguard. Add 2 Gibson style black speed knobs with push/pull pots and I'm gonna start to ROOL:!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 06:03 AM

GrayAngel, how much did you pay (parts and installation) and can you recomment a sustainer?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

WMerkert, $200 for the sustainer kit, $250 for installation. I took it to a professional luthier (La Guitar Factory). I'm sure installation could be had for cheaper, but this was the guy's first time installing one (but I trusted his work from previous experience). Also, they ran into a problem that required a proprietary part not included with the kit. They called Fernandes tech support who said that even they didn't have the part (which is really strange). So a workaround and some soldering was performed.

I can honestly say that I recommend this particular sustainer. However like I said, not having played the sustainiac, I can't really compare the two. The sustainiac looks like a cleaner system (no switches to install).

As for white pickups. I like the black/white/gold contrast. Maybe it's just me.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 10:38 AM

I like the switches....thats why I prefer fernandes. I have wanted to do this mod for a long time. Darren and I had a useful conversation about it all in a previous thread. (Thanx again man).
I've never been a big fan of push pull pots. I have one on my washburn and the thing irritates me because I can't use them without sending noise through my amp from my sloppines. go figure!
Anyhow, why did you have to change the bridge pickup?...I didn't know that was neccessary, and it doesn't look like Steves FLO had that done....
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 11:37 AM

Maybe you could get some white bobbin toppers from universal jems

http://www.universaljems.com/cart/index.htm

Steve
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 11:24 PM

You don't *have* to use push-pull pots with the Sustainiac... it's just an option if you don't want to drill more holes in your guitar's face. I prefer the cleaner look.

I'm really curious as to whether it's absolutely necessary to replace the bridge pickup with the Fernandes unit as well... my guess is that they include it to make installation more of a no-brainer.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 04:33 AM

They may have a pickup that requires more wiring so you can shut it off without having to choose the neck pickup to turn the sustainer on. Ive only used the single coil in the neck fernandes guitars so who knows. If it were me here, white bobbin toppers, and new knobs. Those knobs look like butt. But the rest looks nice, and they did a good job with the routing *better than flo*. All in all nice guitar. Have any more recent pics?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 05:34 AM

Thanx for info GrayAngel
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
They may have a pickup that requires more wiring so you can shut it off without having to choose the neck pickup to turn the sustainer on. Ive only used the single coil in the neck fernandes guitars so who knows.
I'm confused with what you're saying here. The way Sustainers are usually wired, when you turn the Sustainer on, no matter where your pickup selector switch is, it turns on the Sustainer circuit and activates the bridge pickup. You don't need to choose the neck pickup to activate the Sustainer... unless yours is wired up in a really unique way.

I'm guessing that it wouldn't be too difficult to swap out the bridge pickup, if you're somewhat handy with electronics. Just follow the wires from the bridge pickup and match up the conductors.

Whomever did the installation for you really did a nice job... that routing looks nice and clean.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:30 AM

that one looks nice. thumbs up. the routing just looks like it had always been there... the knobs look a little out of place though. as do the bridge humbucker.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:41 AM

Flo was a FLOral ... 77fp. With converted oldstyle heel joint, so a 7v or 555 neck (as used later) fitted.

Tags
bobbin toppers , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , bridge pup , fernandes sustainer , neck pickup , pearl pickguard , pickup selector switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode