JEM single... - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

JEM single...

Hey folks, did u notice the Volume difference between the EVOLUTION pickups and the Single coil in a jem7vwh, imo its completely unbalanced and makes the single coil unusuable, shouldnt they have installed a higher output single to match with the hot evos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 04:18 AM

Re: JEM single...

umm single coils are suppose to have less output. It's like that on any H-S-H guitar I've played. Why is it unusable? It's a perfect switch between rhythm and solo with a good volume/distortion cut.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 06:50 AM

agreed, plus you get that nice sound in positions 2 and 4 of the switch.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 10:56 AM

I agree with you, Ralph. While I do like the sound of position 4 (I don't use 2), the middle pup alone is useless. Even if it wasn't for the volume drop, the tone by itself, to me, is flat and dry. I've spent too much money lately, but one day I plan on putting a blue velvet in one of my Jems and see how that goes.

While I agree, too, that the single coils are supposed to have less output, the volume difference could be less dramatic.

Sometimes, depending on the volume of all the other instruments, I can't use the 4th position because I drop out of the mix and can't hear myself.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 10:34 PM

i've been saying that for years. i actually bought a 7v once upon a time and returned it for that reason.

On the whole, ibanez singles are useless. A hotter dimarzio balances much better and still does the trick for a volume cut/thinning out the sound.

~K
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 11:10 PM

yea I have to admit I don't use that single alone at all.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 01:19 AM
Gex

Yeah, but how many of you with strats ever used that middle pickup solo?

Its kinda ugly sounding. Bleh.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

A hotter single would do the trick, do u suggest any guys?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 09:09 AM

I think it's the Fender Hot Gold bridge pup that comes in at a whopping 13.4K DC resistance. Should theoretically work out OK with EVO's.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

do u recomand any dimarzio instead? i still dont understand why ibanez didnt use a hotter pickup!!! the thing is that with paf pro that jem single blended nicely, but there is a hell of a difference between the paf pro and the evolution which should have been taken into account while designing the 7vwh!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 12:11 PM

The thing with a singlecoil, through a moderately distrted amp is, while output does drop, it's also MUCH less compressed. Back when I had my 7620 (which was wired with a three way and a coil tap, air norton and tone zone), while there was a noticeable volume decrease in the clean channel with the pickups tapped, with my lead settings (Mesa Nomad, 3 vintage, gain about halfway), there was no percieved volume drop on leads simply because the attack was so much mlore explosive, due to the uncompressed nature of a singlecoil sound.

And, for those "in between" sounds, you really need a single coil that balances output-wise with the tapped bridge pickup. A single-coil sized humbucker's definitely an option, provided you wire it to be tapped as well in position 4, or otherwise the sound will be too unbalanced and won't give you that strat "quack."

I set my UV's single-coil height by dialing in the position 4 sound. I don't use the single on it's own very much - personally, i could care less aboput the output, I just think it sounds sterile and compressed for a single - so for me, this is what makes the most sense.

But anyway, that's why they didn't use a hotter pickup - because with even a light amount of gain the amp's compression should effectively even it out, and because a hotter pickup would throw off position 4.

-Drew
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

thats the strat quack that i am looking for and its not happening on my jem. i dont use the single pickups i use the 2nd and 4th positions for blues.

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , bridge pup , coil tap , evolution pickups , mesa nomad , paf pro , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode