JEM505 pickup suggestions - metal oriented - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

JEM505 pickup suggestions - metal oriented

Hi guys, I need some advice on selecting the best pickups for an Ibanez JEM505.

Basically, I'm looking to get a bridge and neck humbucker set to make the ultimate metal guitar. I'm wanting to cover as many bases as possible from prog metal to thrash/death and modern metalcore styles. Some of the tones i'm looking to emulate come from bands like Symphony X, Soilwork, Death, Children of Bodom, Killswitch Engage and The Black Dahlia Murder, so I figure i'd need something pretty vicious for the bridge pickup, but also with a good deal of clarity. The neck pickup would be used for cleans and soloing, so i'm looking for something more along the lines of John Petrucci's lead tone - something which really accentuates speed picking and gives a beautiful flowing feel to legato and tapping.

Right now i'm running through a Line 6 POD HD500 (soon to be a Helix), and a pair of powered monitors.

I've had my eye on either a Crunch Lab or an X2N for the bridge - would either of these be suitable for the type of bands mentioned above? I know the X2N is balls out metal power, I'm just curious if things like Crunch Labs, D'activators and Dominions can match it for those styles - after all, the more options, the better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 09:14 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: JEM505 pickup suggestions - metal oriented

D-ActivatorX bridge/ DActivator bridge model in the neck. Yes, you can use a bridge model in the neck.

The X will give you all out metal tones without being overly compressed. The X2N has a tendency to over compress and get pretty harsh in the high-mids. The X tends to be more even toned which makes it MUCH easier to EQ.

Pettrucci typically has a fairly scooped neck sound. The "perfect" pickup to pair with a SHO bridge pup would be a mega-drive, IMO, but it has to be special ordered from DiMarzio. After that, The DActivator bridge will give you the most even response while having enough grunt to pair well with the X.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 11:25 PM

Just a thought seeing as it is a Jem....

I like the Evo bridge in my Jem 555, plenty of output, I'm surprised they put V pups in the 505 - very bad Mr Ibanez. I did change the magnet to a Alnoico 8 in mine, gave it better tone, but for for those style of music the Ceramic 8 will have more bite and a little more power.

Also, the older I get and the more I really hear my tone, and well, less gain is more tone and clarity. I have'nt tried one of the super high output pups, so this is just guess, but I'd be thinking the tone out off a pickup with output around 400 is going to better than something up around 500 like the X2N or D Acitvator's - as mentioned above, can be compressed and harsh.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 11:31 PM

That's weird that you would want a Symphony X sound along with a Children of Bodom sound. Quite different genres

Dimarzio Evolution bridge, while super compressed, may work fine for you. Herman Li and Sam Totman of Dragonforce have always used those (and the herman li signature pups are based on the Evos) and if you listen to their most recent album (the non-7 string songs), they do get some pretty brutal tones going.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
D-ActivatorX bridge/ DActivator bridge model in the neck. Yes, you can use a bridge model in the neck.

The X will give you all out metal tones without being overly compressed. The X2N has a tendency to over compress and get pretty harsh in the high-mids. The X tends to be more even toned which makes it MUCH easier to EQ.

Pettrucci typically has a fairly scooped neck sound. The "perfect" pickup to pair with a SHO bridge pup would be a mega-drive, IMO, but it has to be special ordered from DiMarzio. After that, The DActivator bridge will give you the most even response while having enough grunt to pair well with the X.
^ This answer right here kills. Exactly what I would have recommended - DAX if not the X2N
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:41 AM

Try a Bill Lawrence L500XL. EVH Wolfgang units surprised me. Or EMGs. I,ve bought alot of units,Nazguls,Dimes,Evos etc but the L500 and EVH stood out.

Tags
dimarzio , jem505 , metal , shred , x2n

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode