Jem7 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Jem7

Morning Chaps!
I bought a second hand Jem7v over t'internet, and although I paid a good price, it definitely has some issues, lose pots, missing backplate (found in the case complete with gold screws!), very badly adjusted neck and bridge. Someone (The Butcher) had really been hacking at this, but I got all these sorted, and now have an excellent playing guitar but...
When I select position 1 (bridge) lovely sound, position 5 (neck) ditto, but 2,3, and 4, very thin and weak, almost an out of phase sound.
Question, before I go behind the scratch plate, is this correct? Or has "The Butcher" been hacking on the internals?
Any help appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 09:08 AM

Re: Jem7

If there Dimarzio EVOs..factory wiring is..
Neck is full humbucker..
neck and mid is spilt humbucker and mid so it does sound thinner like single coil sound.
mid is mid single coil..
Bridge and mid is split humbucker and mid so it sounds thinner like a single coil sound....
bridge is full humbucker.
I would take the pickguard to check they are the Dimarzios.
It is easy when you have the strings off...take a pic and post it and im sure someone will give you a heads up.
As far as the neck ..if your not used of setting them up get a guitar shop the set it you. As themore you do more feel you get for it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Paul,
I am pretty certain they are original pickups, as the two humbuckers have gold poles, and the middle single coil poles are steel. In fact at first I thought this was a sign that the middle pickup was not original, but see from photos on the net that this is correct. Away from home until Friday, but will open it up, and take photos on return.
BTW had a proper Lutheran do the bridge and neck. Beyond my skills!
Thanks again...
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 11:33 AM

Sounds like those pickups are not wired together on the 5-way. The pickups need to be jumped together. The first time I rewired my PGM100 the same thing happened to me. I wired it up how I thought and 2, 3 and 4 were very weak. 1 and 5 were so loud and powerful. Then I thought about it, wait, they are all working as single coils and they are not connected together. So I found a Ibanez 5-way wiring diagram online and boom, my assumption was correct. Hopefully this is the same issue you are having. Try it out and see what happens.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 12:34 PM

I think it is more the adjustment of the pick up heights in relationship to one another.

As long as the wiring it correct.

I have one and for the most part a humbucker should be louder than a single coil. I have the same problem on mine although it is not extreme, there is definitely a difference and as well there should be.

I will also say that when using the gain channel the clean never really gets clean until you use the single coil, when you back off of your volume pot. And that is natural as well.

I think?

Tags
jem , out of phase , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode