JEM77VBK owner needs help in PUP upgrade. - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

JEM77VBK owner needs help in PUP upgrade.

Hello Everyone,
I'm new here and I came here to get opinions in regards to my plans to upgrade my PUPs. I own a JEM77VBK (Basswood) with DiMarzio Breed PUPs (sound so flat). I’m not satisfied with the PUPs and I’m looking to upgrade to the following:

Bridge: EVO 2 – I used to play a lot of metal but now I’m starting to get into prog rock/ fusion. I heard the EVO’s have a very high output and I figured I may not need that in the genre I’m transitioning into. Other pickups I’m trying to consider are Crunch Lab and Tone Zone.

Mid: DiMarzio DP419 Area '67 Hum Canceling Strat Pickup – hum cancelling sounds really good. I’m considering this in hopes that I can somehow generate a tone close to a fender strat.

Neck: PAF Pro – I heard this PUP is versatile. Harmonics is one of my issues in my neck PUP, not sure if this will fix it but it seems to be a very good replacement from what I gathered from my initial research.

All opinions are welcome and thank you in advance.

Last edited by jono; 07-26-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: formatting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:06 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: JEM77VBK owner needs help in PUP upgrade.

To tell the truth, I have the same guitar and ....out of all of my ibanez guitars , which include guitars with evo's, paf pro's, and tone zones for bridge pickups, - I find the breed bridge pickup to be my least favorite, too. Just seems to lack the personality of the others. Even though the evolution pickup just may be my favorite, I still really love the very unique sound of the PAF pro in the bridge (as in my pGM guitars).......and the tone zones in my RG's are so hot and responsive. For me, I can see putting an evolution bridge pickup in my 77Vbk in the very near future, but I'm probably going to leave the breed in the neck.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchfan6 View Post
To tell the truth, I have the same guitar and ....out of all of my ibanez guitars , which include guitars with evo's, paf pro's, and tone zones for bridge pickups, - I find the breed bridge pickup to be my least favorite, too. Just seems to lack the personality of the others. Even though the evolution pickup just may be my favorite, I still really love the very unique sound of the PAF pro in the bridge (as in my pGM guitars).......and the tone zones in my RG's are so hot and responsive. For me, I can see putting an evolution bridge pickup in my 77Vbk in the very near future, but I'm probably going to leave the breed in the neck.
At first I though it was the guitar, well maybe it is but I would still like to think that it is the PUPs that make the guiatr sound really flat cause I only own one guitar and I can't afford another one. Thanks for your input on this.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:09 PM

I put an Evo2 bridge and LiquiFire neck into my '89 777VBK (also a basswood body) and absolutely love them. The Evo2 is a little lower output than the original EVO so it cleans up really nicely when you roll the volume down on the guitar. But it still screams when you're up full.

The LiquiFire seems to have very mixed reviews... People either love it or hate it. Personally, I love it. It's a bit warmer than a PAF Pro (which is what I had in there before) which I really like in a neck pickup, yet it still has great harmonics, clariry, and plenty of bite up on 10. Again, rolling down the volume cleans it right up and it produces a very smooth, buttery tone I love. Makes for gorgeous clean chord work but distorted chord work can sound a bit muddy due to the warmth. Lead work on the LiquiFire is absolutely awesome. Very clear, distinct articulation that picks up sweeping and speed picking amazingly and delivers a tight but not overly-compressed signal.

I liked this combo so much I put it into my '02 7VSBL which is alder and I love it in that Jem too!!! Very nice complimentary set IMHO.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfssdude View Post
I put an Evo2 bridge and LiquiFire neck into my '89 777VBK (also a basswood body) and absolutely love them. The Evo2 is a little lower output than the original EVO so it cleans up really nicely when you roll the volume down on the guitar. But it still screams when you're up full.

The LiquiFire seems to have very mixed reviews... People either love it or hate it. Personally, I love it. It's a bit warmer than a PAF Pro (which is what I had in there before) which I really like in a neck pickup, yet it still has great harmonics, clariry, and plenty of bite up on 10. Again, rolling down the volume cleans it right up and it produces a very smooth, buttery tone I love. Makes for gorgeous clean chord work but distorted chord work can sound a bit muddy due to the warmth. Lead work on the LiquiFire is absolutely awesome. Very clear, distinct articulation that picks up sweeping and speed picking amazingly and delivers a tight but not overly-compressed signal.

I liked this combo so much I put it into my '02 7VSBL which is alder and I love it in that Jem too!!! Very nice complimentary set IMHO.
Thanks a lot Sir. Putting Liquifire in the neck did cross my mind but I immediately had second thoughts after reading mixed reviews about the PU. I'm a big fan of JP but I wasn't sure if this PU would worK in a JEM, let alone in a basswood. Good to know this setup has been tested and works well.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 PM

Yeah you know everybody has different tastes as far as tone, but to my ears the LiquiFire def delivers that Pertucci warm lead tone. And it sounds remarkably similar in both Jems I have them installed in considering they are pretty dramatically different tone woods. It has become my favorite neck pup. I personally found the original EVO bridge pup a little harsh in alder so tried the EVO2 and LOVED it so I tried it in basswood and it sounds great there too. Much more moldable/controllable/contourable tone than the original EVO. My current fave bridge pup.

Another one worth considering for neck pos is the SD Pearly Gates... It is a close second fave neck pup for me and sounds phenomenal in my mahogany RG and an alder Kramer. A little lower output, a little bluesier feeling but again it screams when you want it to. Very cool pup.

Although you might pick AlaskaBat's brain about the newly released Vai DiMarzios... Not even available yet but apparently pretty nice pups! Gravity Storm I think they're called. Might be worth waiting for? He's got a thread on them with a YouTube demo of them that might help you...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

You might just like the Dominions.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
You might just like the Dominions.
I just checked the PU and it looks promising as a bridge PU, High Mid just like the EVO 2 and almost the same output. My Breed PUs gets really muddy when gain is up at that is what I want to avoid, I hope these 2 PUs aren't like that. What do you think about a Dominion/Liquifire setup?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxkill View Post
I just checked the PU and it looks promising as a bridge PU, High Mid just like the EVO 2 and almost the same output. My Breed PUs gets really muddy when gain is up at that is what I want to avoid, I hope these 2 PUs aren't like that. What do you think about a Dominion/Liquifire setup?
Well--you can go to the reviews section and read my full write ups on both.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 07:18 PM

Reviews: 120

I'd go Dominion bridge and neck. Or if you want to save some money, swap the magnets out of the Breeds with ceramic magnets. Dominions are very close to Breeds, but with a ceramic magnet loaded in each. Save you some money, and an easy mod!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:45 AM

Reviews: 2

Basically, what we are all saying is that a pickup change is a big difference,,,,,,,,and you have one great guitar (77Vbk). Have fun with this and find what you want to install, you'll definitely be keeping your JEM !!!!
To give you a little history on my experience with this.........when I got my RG1420F guitars with the Ibanez pickups, I was not too impressed with the sound. After installing a tone zone bridge and air norton neck pickup in each, they just sing! Same experience with my 3120F ANT - came with dimarzio IBZ pickups. Took it to a band practice when I first got it, and the bridge pickup just seemed to lack the harmonics and response I was used to. Put a pair of EVOS in it, and it totally changed into a harmonic rich tone monster. Now, if I go to get a new guitar some day, I don't even worry much about what pickups are in it. Yes, it is nice to get a guitar that already has what you want installed, but I know from experience what a pickup change can do.

Last edited by lynchfan6; 07-27-2012 at 09:53 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:52 AM

What tone are you after?
Who's tone do you like the best that you would like your guitar to sound like?
When I hear people say a pickup sounds muddy, I know it's their rig.
Every time I hear this about a Dimarzio at least.
I own almost all of the popular Dimarzio's people talk about on this site.
I have no mud problems with any of them.
Why would Dimarzio produce a muddy pickup and try to sell it?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your input. I just ordered:

Paf Pro for the Neck
DiMarzio DiMarzio DP419 Area '67 Hum Canceling Strat Pickup for the Mid
Dominion for the Bridge

Hopefully this set up will work out. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Tags
jem77vbk pick up upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode