Just got a 2002 Jem 7DBK (Lava Black) Pick Up Swap?? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Just got a 2002 Jem 7DBK (Lava Black) Pick Up Swap??

Hello guys,

I just got a 2002 Ibanez Jem from Ebay in mint condition, except some scratches on chrome mirrored pick guard.

Fuuny thing is I had the 2009 Jem 7VBK and really didn't love it. It was super light and the sound wasn't to my liking. Too thin sounding and not enough distortion as compared to my other guitars.

Anyway, I liked this one always and just wanted to try it out. I am using it through a Fractal Audio Axe-FX II. Sounded pretty good, the cleans were really nice. However, the distortion isn't thick and chucnky. Lots of mid range and it is hard to hit nice sounding pinch harmonics. That is just a way to describe what I FEEL when I play. I am a pro at AH's so no issues there. Also on my last 7VBK, I got a John Petrucci Crunch Lab. Honestly, it didn't sound that much better! Was disappointed.

I also have a Bogner Ecstacy 1/2 stack. You could immediately tell a HUGE difference when I played the Charvel vs. the Jem 7VBK. The VBK sounded aweful through the Bogner, while the Charvel Screamed and was thick and articulate. The Jem was so mid rangy for lack of a better description.

One of my other guitar that sounds really beefy and thick and just screams off pinch harmonics, especially through the Axe-FX II, is a 2012 Charvel So Cao, 1 HH Snow White. The So Cal with 2 HB.

Description of pick ups in So Cal:

Seymour Duncan humbuckers. You play the notes, and Seymour Duncan takes it from there. An SH-6N Distortion is located in the neck position of this axe, while a T6-6 Distortion simmers at the bridge.

Pick up options for my New Jem 7 DBK (The Lava Black Paint Job)? Any suggestions?

I like George Lynch and Andy Timmons, but am looking for a good thick and heavy pick up. Think of turning on a Low Gain amp and playing a solo how it is a lot of Effort to do, vs. getting on a modeling amp with a good distorted tone that almost plays itself.

What options would be good with my New Jem 7VBK? It is made of Bass Wood so that might be some of the sound charateristics? However, I have to think the right pick up will make me really love this guitar. As it is now, it's nice but it wasn't plug in and THIS IS IT! So I can tell the current set up isn't going to make me want to pick it up and play it and if that is the case, I will sell it!

Advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 07:00 AM

Smile Re: Just got a 2002 Jem 7DBK (Lava Black) Pick Up Swap??

The way you talk about all these pickups sounds very different than most people.
You must be setting your rig a lot different than most people do.

Iíve got two DBKs and have no problem getting a heavy tone out of them with the stock Dimarzio Breeds.

It sounds like you want really high output pickups.
You might like-

EVO
Steveís Special
Super Distortion
XN2
Super 3

I own the EVO and the Steveís Special at the moment.
The Steveís Special has the mids pulled down giving a heavier tone than the others listed.

Just some food for thought-
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 08:21 AM

Re: Just got a 2002 Jem 7DBK (Lava Black) Pick Up Swap??

jem guitars can never be used for thrashmetal music...it isnt heavy and powerful enough....if you are into really heavy thrashmetal tone...you need ESP guitars and EMG active pups...or gibson ,lespaul etc.....jem with dimarzio isnt really for thrashmetal or some very heavy tone music
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 09:36 AM

Bill Lawance XL500
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Just got a 2002 Jem 7DBK (Lava Black) Pick Up Swap??

First of all, thanks to all 3 of you for your suggestions. I really appreciate it!

Remeber, I JUST got the guitar last night at 11pm and played it 10 minutes on my AXE FX II.

I like the JEM pick ups and did get a heavy tone, but as I said, when I play the Jem on the SAME EXACT set up weather it be my Bogner XTC 1/2 stack, or my new Axe-FX II, as compared to the Charvel So Cal with its stock Seymour Duncas, unfortunately, the Charvel sounds a lot better for heavier stuff. I am not talking drop D Heavy Heavy stuff, think 80's Metal/Rock. Dokken, Van Halen, Ratt, Ozzy with Randy and Jake E Lee.

As a way to describe it it simple terms. When I hit a pick harmonic on the Low E string
(3rd Fret) on the Charvel, it just delivers a thick Zack Wyldelike in Crazy Babies note (not a huge huge Zack Wylde fan, but he's good, just using this as an example). When I use the Ibanez Jem, I can hit the AH on the Low E, 3rd fret, but it sounds nowhere near as good as the Charvel's pick up, and it is much harder to pull off and sounds thinner.

Now the Charvel has .010's and the Jem has .009's for strings. Again, NOT here to bash the Jem, I just bought it so I like it, but the pcik up is not sounding thick and heavy enough. Even with my Jem 7BVBK, it was the exact same thing. I noticed it HUGE on the Bogner XTC, I rarely played the Jem on the Bogner, because it did not sound good and it was not fun to play, way too much work.

Keep the suggesitons coming. Anyone have this same guitar and changed their pick up? Or a similar Jem like the 7VBK?

Thanks so much guys!

Tex

P.S. Here I am playing the Bogner on my Ernie Ball Music Man Luke II (from 1995). It sounds good and has EMG's, but the charvel (for heavy metal 80's tones) sounds the BEST on the Bogner by Far. Thick, but articulate and clear with a great ability to spit off AH's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa8q-D8GCYI

Last edited by TexasAxeSlinger; 09-27-2013 at 11:50 AM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 02:17 PM

I use 10s on all my JEMs.
The other thing that may be effecting the pinch harmonics is pick placement.
Try doing the third fret pinch harmonic while moving your right hand from the middle pickup toward the heck and see how the tone changes.
Setup can effect this too-
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanggo View Post
jem guitars can never be used for thrashmetal music
This is one of the dumbest things I've read on Jemsite in a long while!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
jem guitars can never be used for thrashmetal music...it isnt heavy and powerful enough....if you are into really heavy thrashmetal tone...you need ESP guitars and EMG active pups...or gibson ,lespaul etc.....jem with dimarzio isnt really for thrashmetal or some very heavy tone music
i recently bought a mint a 2003 Jem 7DBK. was planning on it being my thrash and metal Jem. after having it for a week i am back using my ESP KH2 for metal. you just cant beat the EMGs for metal playing.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
This is one of the dumbest things I've read on Jemsite in a long while!
+1

It's all about the pickups and the rig, mostly the rig!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 05:45 PM

Reviews: 120

+3

Completely and utterly stupid! It's a guitar. It's more than capable of doing any sort of metal.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Exhibit A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxcJW6bs5os
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
That wasn't a JEM it was a UV :P
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 08:08 PM

http://youtu.be/dLJ8lxv97Fo
This is what i mean by thrashmetal.... Not speedmetal suicidal tendecies
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 08:13 PM

I guess most of the jem fanboys here really cant accept the fact that jem guitars dont have the tone body and pups for thrashmetal.... Hahaha its ok... Ive gone thru it... Jem is is versatile guitar for most music but not for heavy **** metalzzz
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 08:17 PM

You can try all those metal rigs with any jem you have but your rhythm and solos would have the same impact compare to guitars made for metalz eg kh-2 esp kirk hamet etc.... Ibanez alder or basswood would even compare to ESP or Jackson old skool thrash guitar with EMGs

Tags
dbk , jem , jem dbk , pick up , pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode