Kent Armstrong Motherbucker help? simple setup? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Kent Armstrong Motherbucker help? simple setup?

ok, so ive got a p90 for the neck position, and a motherbucker for the bridge position of a les paul guitar with a 3-way selector switch...

my idea is to have the two separate humbuckers on the motherbucker go to separate volume knobs, but having both of them connect to the "bridge" position on the 3-way switch...

both of the humbuckers are 4-conductor, and ive so far wired them like the manual says about 4-conductor humbuckers in full-humbucker mode:

white and bare to ground
red and green soldered together and taped off

black to volume pot

then ive soldered a wire from the "output" of one volume knob over to the "output" of the other volume knob, and then from that one to the 3-way.

its not exactly working out very well, so im asking you guru-fellas:

how do i get two 4-conductor humbuckers (both in full humbucker mode, now switches or coil taps or whatever) into two separate volume knobs, and then into the same positon on the 3-way?

right now it sounds like a goopy mess, with next to no output, and it only makes any sound if both volume knobs are set to full. i also think the p90 is suffering because of this. i emailed kent armstrong, and this is what he said:

"Make sure the PU lives go to the middle contact on the volumes then you can connect each volumes outs to the 3 way.

Personally I would put in a 5 way or even a super 5 way for max effect.

Kent"

problem is, i have no idea what he means by that! :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 10:17 PM

Re: Kent Armstrong Motherbucker help? simple setup?

Hes saying ....make sure to run the HOTwires from the pickups to the middle lugs on the vol pots , THEN run to the 3 way switch, but he would use a 5 way instead of a 3 way switch.

i will be doing this also in a weel or so when my Motherbucker gets here. so right now im looking for any wiring info to hook up the motherbucker and a random neck humbucker , 1 volume,1 3 way toggle switch. ive heard the bucker is real complicated since thiers 2 sets of wires coming from the pickup. is it confusing?

Tags
bridge position , coil tap , les paul , neck position , volume knobs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode