kill switch - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

kill switch

I'm going to be doing something like this in my guitars soon:

http://www.ibanez.com/wiring/wire.asp?y=2002&w=PGM30

Basically, 2 HB, 1 SC, the switch and a volume knob. What i'd like to add, though, is a "kill switch" somewhere which will break the guitar circuit completely.. an "on/off" switch if you will.

Now, i'm just starting out on this stuff, so i need advice as to where to put in the signal. My guess would be to put a switch on one of the wires going between the output jack and the pot. Thoughts? Can anyone also recommend a switch i could use for this, preferably *small* and easily obtained, like at Radio Shack.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 07:37 PM

You would put the switch between the volume pot and the output jack in the signal line. I assume you're looking for a switch that would not be noisy when switching, but I don't know of any that are perfect.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 07:44 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
i have this which needs to go the tech section...

wire an on/off switch into a JEM - cut the wire that goes into the volume pot from the 5way switch. Simply put the mini toggle in line and leave one pole open. If you get noise (which you shouldn't) solder a ground wire from the volume pot to the side of the switch...
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
...the wire that goes into the volume pot from the 5way switch
I'm guessing this would be the wire that goes from the terminal closest to center on the 5-way to the terminal on the pot, rather than the wire that's connected to the (negative?) single coil terminal on the 5-way to the surface of the pot?

Quote:
put the mini toggle in line and leave one pole open.
I did a bit of research on switches; heh... leaving a pole open would be in the case of a SPDT switch (or one with more poles), i think. since this is a simple on/off operation on a single wire, could i just use a SPST switch? Someone correct me, please, lol!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 06:27 AM

yup, SPST will work fine. Im about to do the same mod on my RG550 actually...

-better shred than dead-ANDY
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

thanks Jammy... are you going to install yours in the spot glen refered?

btw, back to bachle7's post: i've gathered now that these switches may have a tendancy to make noise or pops if you use them, esp. at high volume or gain. are there SPST style switches that are made to be quiet in use? i've also heard mention that it's the switches placement in the signal path which can make it more or less prone to noise... thoughts?

thanks all
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

alright. the consensus i've got after researching a few different sources. (i haven't tried it yet though)

simply breaking the signal is undesirable, as it'll leave an open circuit at the end of your guitar cord, which will be prone to noise. this rules out the single throw switches.

a SPDT or DPDT is the best option; wire from the center terminal on the volume pot to the center terminal on the switch. (the common terminal) wire from one of the outer terminals on the switch to the signal ground on the back of the volume pot. the other outer terminal gets wired to the output jack (where the original wire from the center terminal on the jack went) if you're using a DPDT, just leave the other pole open.

the two settings on the switch will either select the complete circuit to the jack (the "on" setting) or to the ground, which creates a dead short. (the "off" setting) the ground breaks the guitar circuit and also provides a "drain" for any remaining signal, which tends to reduce pops or squeals. (this i theorize loosely )

this is how i understand it so far... corrections/affirmations/comments warmly accepted!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 08:43 PM

Just leave everything as it is, then run a wire from the hot on the output jack to one pole, and the other pole to ground (anywhere-back of volume pot, ground on jack, whatever) That will toggle the hot to ground, and kill the signal and make it totally silent.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Just leave everything as it is, then run a wire from the hot on the output jack to one pole, and the other pole to ground (anywhere-back of volume pot, ground on jack, whatever) That will toggle the hot to ground, and kill the signal and make it totally silent.
hmm... i don't know for sure, but is this basically the same thing i outlined? the hot wire from the pot to the output jack switched back to the ground?

or do you mean a second wire from the hot on the output to the switch, then the ground?

i'm not an E. engineer yet, so you'll have to clarify a bit
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 10:21 PM

I went back and looked, and yeah I guess it's the same thing, but only if the wire to the output jack is also coming from the center (common) lug. But it sounded like you were going to take the pot to the center, one side to the jack, and the other side to ground. That's an unnecessary step and would produce the noises if any. There's no need to route the signal to "either/or" and therefore an SPST switch would also work.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

okay, after another marathon study session:

frank, you were right; i was still touting the unnecessary step. it was confusing me because i thought the guitar signal had to pass continuously over the switch at some point; i didn't see that you could just open a short to the ground. that's much simpler; thank you. all this for an "on/off" switch; absurd!

whew; good stuff
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 02:05 AM

revamped diagram

I modified the schematic you were looking at to have an SPDT switch.
www.geocities.com/bachle7/kill_switch.jpg
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 03:46 AM

SPST switch.

One lug to the signal wire on the output jack

Other lug to the ground wire on the output jack.

(this is what's already been said, but put as simply as possible )
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 12:56 PM

revised

Yes, you're right. Here's a better diagram. You can connect the switch between the two pot posts if your switch is in the electronics cavity. Actually, you could get one of those push-pull pots to make it really slick!
www.geocities.com/bachle7/kill_switch_best.jpg
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 11:04 AM

problem solved...so no replies required....

Tags
mini toggle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode