Looking for Correct Pots - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By madasahatter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2021, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Looking for Correct Pots

Hi, I have a jem 777sk, the pots are very very hard to turn, maybe its time to change them, Looking at the schematics, I see those are 500k, in some schematic I see the volumen is 500Kohm G and the tone pot is 500Kohm D.
Looking for it on the web I see options like "linear" or "logarithmic" but dont know wich will be the correct ones.

Wich are the tecnical specs of these pots, or where you normaly buy them?

thanks a lot for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2021, 09:32 AM

Re: Looking for Correct Pots

I'm not sure specifically which is used on the the jem 777, but typically Ibanez uses audio(logarithmic) pots for volume and linear for tone. 500K for each is fairly standard also.

There's no issues electrically if you use audio or linear; 250K, 500K or 1M in either position. Here's an explanation of how it all works...

Linear Vs Audio Pots: Linear is just what it sounds like. The taper on the pot is a straight line. At 3 it's at 30%, at 7 it's at 70%, at 10 it's at 100%. The taper on an audio pot is a typical logarithmic function. As you roll the knob up it has a slight increase from say 1-3, then a larger increase from say 3-8, then it flattens out the rest of the way. The biggest difference is the way the human ear perceives the change. A linear taper sounds more abrupt whereas an audio taper sounds more natural. You'd think it would be the other way around and a straight line would sound more natural, but the way our auditory system works it takes a large change for us to perceive a difference. This is why the audio pot sounds more natural. This is also why audio pots are more typically used for volume. With a linear volume pot it will sound to us like all or nothing. With the audio taper volume pot you will hear the change in volume more naturally. For the tone pot I see both used equally. Some brands like to use linear for tone, others like audio taper. It really comes down to preference and how you use your tone knob. I tend to like using linear taper for the tone pot.

The other part of the pot is the resistance. This is what the 250K, 500K, etc. mean. The short version is the lower the resistance the more highs will be filtered out. In general you will see 250K pots used with single coils and 500K pots used with humbuckers. Sometimes you will see 1M pots but it's not really a factory standard. The resistance of the volume pot usually has more influence over the sound than the tone pots. That's not to say the tone pot has no influence, just less than the volume. You can experiment here if you want and see how it changes the overall sound, but for your purposes I think you'll be best to stick with 500K.

The last thing to consider is the capacitor on the tone knob. .022mfd & .047mfd are the standards, but again you can experiment if you want. The rule of thumb is the higher the value the more quickly the high frequencies will roll off. Unless you want to change out the cap you can reuse the one you have.

You can buy pots pretty much anywhere. eBay, Amazon, stewmac, warmoth, or your local guitar store. They cost about $5 each. As for brands; CTS, Alpha, and Bourns are all pretty good and will fit your needs.

One last thing to note. Pay attention to the shaft length and type of the pot. The shorter shaft lengths are meant for pickguards, long for going through the body and longest for carved tops. Solid shafts are meant for knobs with set screws and split shafts for push on knobs.
peromucho7 likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2021, 12:44 PM
Vendor

Great explanation but backwards for Ibanez. For whatever reason they use linear [B pots] for vol and log [A pots] for tone. That's why a little volume adjustment goes a long way.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Great explanation but backwards for Ibanez. For whatever reason they use linear [B pots] for vol and log [A pots] for tone. That's why a little volume adjustment goes a long way.
My mistake on that one... Thanks for the correction

Tags
potentiometer , pots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode