Looking for a hb with good split coil sound. - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Looking for a hb with good split coil sound.

I am looking for a hb with good split coil sound for the neck on a Fender strat. I tried PAF PRO, it is much better on the Les Paul than Strat. I current have the Dimarzio Air Classic. I just want something different. But the most important is the split coil sound.

I know I tried Air Zone and don't like it at all, it is way too dark. I have the Humbucker From Hell and I don't like it at all, it is the extreme opposite of Air Zone which is way too thin and brittle when split. Air Classic and PAF PRO in a bright strat body are slightly on the too glassy side when split.

Air Norton is quite popular here, but how's the split coil sound? I currently have the half air Tone Zone on the bridge that I really like as hb or split. I think I want to stay with Alnico medium or vintage output instead of the very hot high resistance ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 01:51 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Looking for a hb with good split coil sound.

Air Norton should be good.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 09:15 AM

I have a PAF Pro in one guitar and an Evo in the other. For clean stuff, the Evo sounds awesome tapped. I don't like the PAF, it's way to bright. The Evo, though, is just warm and smooth sounding.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 12:55 PM

Reviews: 1

I love The Breed neck when it's split it's fat and singing at the same time.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 01:11 PM

Never tried these but I have used their single coils, Rio Grande Tallboy Humbucking: http://www.riograndepickups.com/scar...or+Humbuckings

Sounds like it could fit the bill for you.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I only one I don't think I am interested is the Rio Grande.....mainly because of the price.....at $148!!!. I don't need to have real strat pup sound. I want the single coil sound with a little of the high harmonics that humbuckers don't have. Particularly I am not looking for vintage strat sound.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 06:20 PM

The Suhr Aldridge is surprisingly good for a high output pickup, the Taylor I have with vintage alnico pickups sounds amazing split too.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

I ordered the Breed DP165 for $65. It was described as a darker version of the PAF PRO, that's exactly what I want. The PAF PRO is perfect on the darker Les Paul. It would be so nice to get similar type of sound with the Breed on the strat......I know, it will never sound like a Les Paul, I just mean the similar characteristics.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Just put the Breed in and spent like 10 minutes on only clean sound. It sounded pretty good so far, it's late so I really can't crank it up. But it is definitely better than PAF PRO, Humbucker From Hell, 36th Aniv, Air Zone, SD Custom Custom I tried in the neck position. It really sound some what like the Air Classic DP191 and PAF PRO but it's a little less glassy. Still it has just enough glassiness to make it sounds good.

My problem with the DP191 is when I pick harder, it's like shatter glass!!! This one is tamer. I'll report back when I have a chance to test it out louder and with distortion. It is more like PAF PRO in the Les Paul, this one seem to suit a brighter guitar like strat as PAF PRO suit a darker one like LP.

It is quite loud, I have to lower it a little more to even match the Tone Zone in the bridge......that is loud!!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

I have a chance to crank it higher, the clean sound of both the north and south coil split are very good. Better than I can hope. The distortion sound on my Marshall JCM900 is not particularly good. But I still need to work on the setting first before I can say for sure. Also the distortion sound is very dependent on the amp as the JCM900 is not the best sounding distortion sound either. It use LED as clipping, not tube over drive.

The most important thing is to get a good clean sound, then you work off from that to find a good match on the distortion.

Tags
split coil sound.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode