looking for neck pickup - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

looking for neck pickup

Hey guys. I want to change the neck pickup of my RG1550. I already changed the bridge pickup to a Air Zone which i love. Couldn't ask for a better bridge pickup. Now the Air Zone is a super out put pickup which i like. Matches really well with my MP-1 with the gain set just right. I like alot of clarity in my sound but to have some 'oopmh' behind the notes. The V7 pickup in the neck position doesn't give me that sound. It sounds a bit muddy with not alot of balls in it. So which pickup would suit the Air Zone perfectly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 04:26 PM

Re: looking for neck pickup

You're going to hear this sooner or later anyways, but most folks would recommend the Paf Pro or the Air Norton. From the Duncan camp you can also try the '59 or the Jazz.

It really depends on what kind of sound you want from the neck pickup, but you can always take the above mentioned pickups as starting points.

(the Duncan Alnico II pro neck pickup ain't that bad either)
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

I did once use the Duncan 59 in one of the guitars i used to have. Did sound pretty cool with the Bill Lawrence XL500. I surposed i could use it again as it's voiced towards vintage type sounds (like the Air Zone).
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 11:38 AM

I replaced a V7 with an Air Norton and it put a smile on my face when I plugged it in.

I would have to say that as the output is a little lesser than the Paf Pro, it makes for a better pickup - the lower output takes the mud away.

The Paf Pro isn't high output, but the difference is definatly noticable, and anyway, high output neck pickups can often lead to nothing but mud and blurry tone.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 01:34 PM

Another option is the PAF Joe--a lower-output version of the PAF Pro. In fact, about the same as the Air Norton. It would be brighter and more "tubular". Voiced somewhere between a PAF and a PAF Pro.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 01:45 PM

I wouldn't suggest the PAF Pro if you don't like the V7 pickup in the neck because they are similar pickups. My pickup of choice for the neck would have to be the Air Norton. I've tried PAF Pros, PAF Joes, JB Jazz, and the Air Norton kills them all IMO.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 01:55 PM

Air nortons are absolutely wonderful, I have them in two of my guitars.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliciousteve
I did once use the Duncan 59 in one of the guitars i used to have. Did sound pretty cool with the Bill Lawrence XL500. I surposed i could use it again as it's voiced towards vintage type sounds (like the Air Zone).
How did you like the SD and BL combo? I got a 59 in the neck position of my guitar and I'm about to slap a L500XL in the bridge position.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

At the time i didn't like the XL500. I had a very different view to what good tone was back then, to what i think good tone is now. Because i tried a guitar with a XL500 in the bridge quite recently and i loved it. The 59 worked really well with the BL, very nice clean sound and really gutsy when played with some overdrive.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 05:00 PM

I like the Air Norton, but not as much as the PAF Pro. I think it works better for shredding, but not as well for legato, blues and cleaner stuff.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT1000
I like the Air Norton, but not as much as the PAF Pro. I think it works better for shredding, but not as well for legato, blues and cleaner stuff.
I'll have to disagree with you there. I think that the Air Norton sounds fantastic for blues and jazz and its legato abilities are more or less the same as the PAF Pros that I've tried. The Air Norton has that nice and smooth sound which I love from a neck pickup.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
I'll have to disagree with you there. I think that the Air Norton sounds fantastic for blues and jazz and its legato abilities are more or less the same as the PAF Pros that I've tried. The Air Norton has that nice and smooth sound which I love from a neck pickup.
For jazz, I would tend to agree that the Air Norton gets the nod because it is warmer sounding and more constrained.

For blues, it depends on whether you like the BB King sound better than the SRV sound.

To my ears, the PAF Pro is more open and airy like a good single-coil. It is also brighter and more chimey.

I think that what it boils down to the fact that there are two kinds of guitaists: PAF Pro proponents or Air Norton aficiandos. :-)
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 11:38 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT1000
I think that what it boils down to the fact that there are two kinds of guitaists: PAF Pro proponents or Air Norton aficiandos. :-)
You better add in a third type of guitarist - the Humbucker From Hell aficiandos

Last edited by toneboy; 04-29-2006 at 11:50 PM.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 02:54 AM

And I am sure the Evo and Breed folks will be piping up as well. Not to mention the SD crowd!
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 07:49 AM

Go Air Norton . I find the Evo's neck pickup too trebly, it's basically sounds like a bridge humbucker with a tiny bit more bass response. Depends what ind of tone your after, the Air Norton is very fat and punchy and makes a great neck pickup

Tags
air norton , air nortons , bass response , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , bridge position , les paul , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck position , paf joe , paf pro , paf pros , pro neck , tone zone , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode