Mainstream pickups for "Nuno" sound - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Mainstream pickups for "Nuno" sound

Hey guys,

Sticking to the pickups that are easy to obtain (and if I don't like it easy to return) what would folks recommend for a Nuno Bettencourt style sound?

These are going into an '89 RG 570, so basswood body with a rosewood board, so not exacly N4 materials, but I like the guitar and it will be set up for Eb so it seems like Nuno would be a good role model for it.

Brands I'd like to stick to include DiMarzio, Duncan, Bareknuckle or EMG, I want to be able to get the pickups here in the UK and support a local store if possible

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 04:48 PM

Reviews: 10
Re: Mainstream pickups for "Nuno" sound

Go with Duncans (Dimarzios are too dark and 'colored' in tone - great for some things but not for what you are looking for imho) - I believe Nuno's N4 guitar has a Duncan '59 in the neck and a Lawrence L-5000 or Duncan Distortion in the bridge...so instead of a not so mainstream Lawrence L-500 you could go with the Duncan Distortion or even a JB...I don't think you could go wrong with the Duncan JB and '59 combo (perhaps the most popular rock pup combo ever) I bet that would get you very close to the Nuno sound...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 05:04 PM

The lawrence L500 was used to make the dimebucker, so you might as well check that out.

Failing that, yeah, a duncan distortion is a great idea.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:30 PM

I have a Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis Trembucker PATB-1 which gets kinda close, but would be closer if it had a little more mids and higher output.

Which is exactly what the PATB-2 is: http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...atb2_parallel/

Although he has the 7-string version of the Duncan Distortion in his signature 7-string, so as doriangrey suggests, that might be worth checking out.

Last edited by Petie; 03-31-2012 at 05:15 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 07:02 PM

"Oz Fox & Michael Sweet / Stryper, Kenny Hickey / Type O Negative." How's that for selling a pickup?

I do like the PATB, not only for how it sounds, but it looks great.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 11:58 PM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
The lawrence L500 was used to make the dimebucker, so you might as well check that out.

Failing that, yeah, a duncan distortion is a great idea.
I've had a dimebucker in Paduak (trying to emulate the exact same thing) and it was good, but after hearing some bare knuckles I switched that guitar over to a Rebel Yell set and I am much happier with that, even though it is currently 10k miles away ;(

Rebel Yells are a bit more toppy but I did run some in a poplar body with reasonable success, although I have found the VH-II and Holy Divers better for basswood I think the RY is probably the best in terms of being an open harmonic pickup with lots of string definition.

Having said all that, after chatting at length to Steve @ PJ's Guitar Centre in Portsmouth he is adamant that the L500 is such a unique pickup that there isn't anything that gets really close, even from Bare Knuckle.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 12:30 PM

Reviews: 20

Dimebucker sounds nothing like the L500..! The crunch lab, evo, or even the paf pro is closer IMO but not quite.
For nuno sound, I think you need a clear sounding bucker with lots of cut. Dimarzio's 'aw vowel midrange goes really well with nuno-style funky rhytm chops.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Thanks for all the messages guys, this really seems to be a tricky one!!!

I'm going to keep reading online and see what I can come up with, otherwise I might have to track down a Bill and Becky...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 08:55 PM

Reviews: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Thanks for all the messages guys, this really seems to be a tricky one!!!

I'm going to keep reading online and see what I can come up with, otherwise I might have to track down a Bill and Becky...
You can buy brand new Bill & Becky (they're called "wilde pickups" now) L500 for very cheap! They are cheaper than a brand new dimarzio or duncans..

Last edited by bowie8889; 04-08-2012 at 09:03 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I'd go with an EVO2 in the bridge, and run it through a Wampler SLOstortion. That'll get you fairly close.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode