Make a 5 way switch a kill switch? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Make a 5 way switch a kill switch?

I want to make the 5 way switch on my RG a kill switch(like flip to the bridge selector and it work, and flip to the others and there is no sound) What do I connect the wires to? Thanks! I am Using a Dimarzio Pickup(ToneZone).

Last edited by GuitarEvan07; 04-10-2008 at 11:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Re: Make a 5 way switch a kill switch?

Man, I can't fingure it out. Been working on it! Help is Appreciated!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:15 PM

Reviews: 2

wrong idea (nevermind)

Last edited by Stygian; 04-10-2008 at 11:27 PM.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Yes thats what I want to do. Whats the first metal bracket? Also, whats the bridge pickup wire? What color? Thanks!
Heres a pic. for reference!
Thanks again!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:27 PM

Ok, if you just want to use the 5-way as a killswitch for the bridge pickup, then just leave at least your middle pickup disconnected, so you'll have no sound in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th positions. You can still leave your neck pickup hooked up if you have one.

Is this a brand new switch? If not, what is connected to it now (and what pickup config do you have)?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!
Its a brand new switch. Building a guitar. I have ONE pickup, a bridge. The body I bought only has one pickup routed(the bridge), but it had a selector switch(5 way).
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:51 PM

Oh alright, makes more sense now though a 2-way mini toggle would probably be easier to use (but at the expense of drilling another hole in your guitar). This probably is the most logical way, then. And maybe you can add a coil splitting options for the Tone Zone at the 5th position if you wanted.

Dimarzio has wiring diagrams on their site, just click on the HSH configuration or whatever one, and ignore the extra pickups. According to it, to wire it for full humbucking sound, you'd connect the red wire to the first bracket on the switch.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man. Yeah I think I might just get a 2 way switch and Put it in the tone pot slot. Think that will work?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:57 PM

Yeah, I have done it that way before, with a washer because the tone pot hole is kind of large. You'll need two brand new wires to go from the volume pot to the 2 way switch. It's easy to hook up.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

So one from the middle and one from the right(is that from above or below?) going to each side of the on/off switch?
Thanks!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 01:58 AM

It's hard to note without a diagram, but let's say you're looking at the volume pot (inside the control cavity of the guitar) with the posts being at the "bottom" side. The middle and right posts is where you connect individual wires that go to your 2-way toggle. There might also be a different way of hooking it up, but that's how I did my own a while ago and it worked. I'm sure there's some good diagrams out there somewhere too.

Last edited by Stygian; 04-11-2008 at 02:10 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 02:19 AM

If you want all positions but the humbucker position to be kill....then just wire the other unused pickup position terminals on the switch to ground. (you can connect all them together via one bare conductor then run one ground wire from that wire to any metal inside the guitar that already has a ground attached) IE: your volume pot body is a common factory place to get ground. This will make it dead silent in all pickup positions but bridge.

And you wont even have to look down to find a little toggle switch. Youve probably played enough that you can get your hand on the pickup selector without looking.

Tags
bridge pickup , coil split , coil splitting , dimarzio pickup , mini toggle , neck pickup , tone zone , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode