Megadrive!!!!!! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Megadrive!!!!!!

Ok...

I'm getting my MegaDrive back from my friend in a few days and I will be putting it in my RG750VP.

I remember reading once on DiMarzio's FAQ that the MegaDrive is like 2 other model, which is why it was removed from the "available now" list and turned into a special order unit.

Can anyone remember which model it was compared to? I'm thinking it was the ToneZone and the Steve's Special.

Also, does anyone know it's output in mV and it's tone specs?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 11:40 PM

Re: Megadrive!!!!!!

It was compared to the Steve“s Special, and the Double Whammy was compared to the Breed.

Edit: Do you know what happened to that RG2820CTVV at L&M?

Last edited by Uthark; 06-11-2005 at 11:46 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthark
It was compared to the Steve“s Special, and the Double Whammy was compared to the Breed.

Edit: Do you know what happened to that RG2820CTVV at L&M?
It must have sold, I haven't seen it in a while. They had two them, the VV and a bluish one... My buddy bought the 540R they had and I got one of my RG750's there. They have some good stuff on occasion don't they?

Back on topic, anyone know the tone chart for the MegaDrive? Output?

Thanks!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 07:11 PM

The megadrive joins to diffrent concepts to deliver one powerfull pickup.each coil of the megadrive senses the string differently.The solid-bar coilhears the lows while the coil with six adjustible poles picks up the highs.With each coil optimized for a specific job,the sound is loud and clear,with minimum dirt.For players who like to ride the volume control,The megadrive cleans up crisply when you back off.A solid range of sounds,dialed in from the guitar,lets you leave the amp's gain settings alone for most of the set. megadrive output=350 mv hot,warm sound,but clear&clean highs&lows. tone guide=treble=6 midrange=5 bass=7 dc resistance=15.03k
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 11:38 AM

the mega is better than the steve in that it has more midrange body to the tone
the steve is great for a rig that needs no extra mids
i think dimarzio should have the mega back in regular production since it is only sort of like the steve, they are still quite different
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 03:14 PM

Like the SS, I love coil splitting it, and being able to choose either coil. They are vastly different. For that reason as well, it makes a large difference which way you place it. The bar magnet coil is the louder, fatter coil, while the pole coil is thinner and glassier. Although it's a high output bridge screamer, it makes a fantastic neck pickup if you have a high output bridge pup to match. I have the bar coil toward the neck, so I get a super fat neck tone with that coil, and a glassy "vintage Jem" combo sound when I use the pole coil with the middle single. It's almost like one PAF Pro coil and one X2N coil.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
Like the SS, I love coil splitting it, and being able to choose either coil. They are vastly different. For that reason as well, it makes a large difference which way you place it. The bar magnet coil is the louder, fatter coil, while the pole coil is thinner and glassier. Although it's a high output bridge screamer, it makes a fantastic neck pickup if you have a high output bridge pup to match. I have the bar coil toward the neck, so I get a super fat neck tone with that coil, and a glassy "vintage Jem" combo sound when I use the pole coil with the middle single. It's almost like one PAF Pro coil and one X2N coil.
I finally got it back on Sunday! I put it in the bridge position of my RG750VP with the bar towards the neck and wow... it's a fat pup! the #2 position selects the pole coild along with the middle single which yeilds a complex clean tone that is hard to describe. It's good is all I can say about it.

I also installed a Breed neck in the neck position (Novel idea, I know!) They make a great pair! For cosmetic reasons, I switched the chrome pole screws from the breed for the black ones in the PAF Pro in my RG750FA, so now my SD / PAF Pro combo have chrome screws and the Breed / MegaDrive combo have black. I'll post picks when the camera gets back from a camping trip!

Overall I am pleased as punch about the MegaDrive and the Breed. I think DiMarzio should put it back in regular production. Or not, and I can be one of the few people to used it now!

I have an audio clip if anyone wants. Drop me a PM with your e-mail address.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 01:00 PM

anyone wanna buy RG2820CTVV ? mint condition with IBANEZ M100C hardcase £780 postage on me within UK e-mail me for picstures
[email protected] price can be discussed

Last edited by legend; 07-14-2005 at 02:16 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 03:23 PM

I'm thinking about getting a megadrive too. Is it a good pickup for soloing? Does it get muddy when playing with goods amount of distortion?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 01:57 AM

i have never played it but from what dimarzio says it is desinged to not be muddy, it is suppose to be clear loud and powerful.

I orded a super 3, which like the megadrive is now only made upon order, i have yet to get it but it looks like it is a bit different from the other pickups, i guess it resembles a breed a bit but i am not sure why dimarzio took these pickups off of thier site and out of regular production you dont sell them unless people know about them.

Super 3TM DP152 & F

Think of the Super 3TM as a Super Distortion® with more mid-range grind and chopped treble. If you play your amp with scooped mids and intense overdrive, this is your pickup. The Super 3's smooth highs allow you to turn up your amps treble and presence without fear of thinning out your sound, and the crunchy mids ensure you won't get lost in the mix. It's also a great pickup to use with distortion pedals--it drives them hard and allows full use of their tone controls.

Recommended For:

The Super 3 is primarily a bridge position pickup. Specifically designed for solid-bodies: hollow and semi-hollow guitars can be hard to control with warm, high output pickups.

Tech Talk:

The Super 3 has been getting the reputation for being a real workhorse for heavy metal. The top end is very dark (especially for a high-output pickup), but the low end isn't real muddy, so you can turn both bass and treble controls up on your amp to get both scream and crunch.

Specifications:

Wiring Standard four conductor
Magnet Ceramic
Output 435mV
DC Resistance 25.80K
Year of introduction 1994
Patent #

treble is 5
mid is 8
bass is 6.5

Custom colors are available through phone ordering

F spacing required for all guitars with 2.1" string spacing (i.e. Floyd Rose equipped guitars and certain fixed bridge models.) to assure proper pole piece alignment. If you are not sure, contact us for assistance.

why the hell is the dc resistance so high, how does that mean for the sound.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 03:45 AM

The Super 3 is compressed as hell, about as much as an X2N, all that resistance works out to be pretty hot pickup, I'd guess. I heard once that the DC res had to do with the thickness of the coil wire or something, maybe the Super3 has overly thick wire?

Yes, it is similar to the Breed Bridge in EQ(I've said this before). I have both, each in RG7xx guitars with the Breed neck model(fav neck pickup). It's perfect for people who find the Breed bridge too 'tame' and want something a lot hotter.

I also wonder why it was removed, probably due to the "lower output" fad that's been going on lately. The Super 3 is always a thick middy pickup, and with all the people playing Mesas lately it might be too much for them?

The only "big-name" player using it is Phil Collen in his Jackson sig model.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 07:16 AM

DC resistance is a combination of gauge and length of the wire. Thicker wire will actually have LESS resistance for the same length, so they're using skinny wire. But almost 26K! That might even be 44awg. High resistance usually means high output and little treble.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 01:18 AM

That explains a lot, thanks Jester. KNew it was something like that, and yes the Super3 is hot as sin, but I love it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econ
I'm thinking about getting a megadrive too. Is it a good pickup for soloing? Does it get muddy when playing with goods amount of distortion?
It's amazing...the trick is to install it with the BLADE closest to the bridge. Keeps the warmth, but loses the mud that way.

Tags
breed bridge , breed neck model , bridge position , bridge pup , clean tone , coil split , coil splitting , distortion pedal , equipped guitar , fixed bridge , fixed bridge model , fixed bridge models , floyd rose , heavy metal , high output pickups , neck pickup , neck position , output pickup , paf pro , paf pro combo , phil collen , pro combo , scooped mids , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode